SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 26 December 2008, 20:58
Been There Done That

This guy needs to be slammed and busted big time.

It still amazes me the number of posers out there that go on with their lies.
Old 26 December 2008, 21:15
Overseas Gunplumber

I met a few of those disgruntled types that ended up on Kelley Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Luna View Post
You would be correct. NONE of the guys that had recently ETS's from batt, that were called back, were not sent back to batt. Needs of the Army.

I ran into a couple of NCO's from Bco that had the honor of being assigned to the 197 for Desert Storm.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 27 December 2008, 01:26
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
A 38-year-old veteran wounded on a combat tour in Haiti has been awarded the Hillsborough County Brave Citizen Award for saving the lives of two individuals. Hillsborough County Commissioners presented the award to James Cherry at an awards ceremony on October 22.
https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/c...8&&normal=true

Well, based upon limited research, that makes him one of only two or three soldiers who were wounded in combat in Haiti. By the way, Haiti was 1994~1996.
Old 27 December 2008, 03:12
Whatever Sucks the Most

Increasingly, I do not even know where to begin.

It sounds as though this charity is infested with fakes.

Frankly, I am all for helping people.

I just want these particular people to stop using terms like "veteran," "Ranger," "war hero," and "Green Beret" as reasons for people to help them.

Perhaps the easiest way to begin would be to expose the director and assistant director(s).
Old 27 December 2008, 09:53
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
While we are at it, anybody know this wild-eyed Ranger?
I pulled his report if anyone wants it. Long boring rap sheet for theft mostly. PM me your email so I can attach the .pdf.

thanks
Old 2 January 2009, 15:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Luna View Post
You would be correct. NONE of the guys that had recently ETS's from batt, that were called back, were not sent back to batt. Needs of the Army.

I ran into a couple of NCO's from Bco that had the honor of being assigned to the 197 for Desert Storm.
Actually, i ran into a guy that I knew that was called back and WAS going to be assigned as a truck driver, 88M, and I helped him get back to 1/75- his name escapes me but i eran into him at the Sand Hill PX one night on my way home from Cole Range.

BTW

Cherry's name and story are going to the St. Pete times- I know a reporter there that rode in my HMMWV during OIF 1 and did some stories on us. He and i have maintained contact...
Old 2 January 2009, 16:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
This looks like the same guy, with his 2008 Brave Citizen award.
My hearing aid batteries must have died so I must not be able to see well. Does he even have a shirt and tie on?

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 2 January 2009, 16:57
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
As from the ranger unspecific jackassery in the photo, looks like he has street clothes on underneath the jacket and it may be just poor vision and unfamiliarity with the Army-wide berets but the flash looks photoshopped.
Just for S&G's I downloaded the picture and checked its attributes by reduction and magnification...the flash is different in context and relation to the rest of the images pixels. Its fishy.
Old 2 January 2009, 17:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
This looks like the same guy, with his 2008 Brave Citizen award.
although i can't see it clearly enough to make out individual awards, a few things immediately come to mind:

1) Nofuckingbody wears a black beret with Dress Blues -yet Anybody that had seen "5 tours of combat" with the SOF community wouldn't wear a black beret (now) but would probably wear a TAN one...

2) Why would a 'retired SSG" wear a Dress Blues top with SPC rank on it?

3)Where, oh where, is his CIB? Jump wings?

More fuel for the BS fire.

I'm going to send this BS to the POW Network- they specialize in busting posers.
Old 2 January 2009, 22:36
Confirmed User

The cord on his right shoulder isn't an Infantry cord. It's too long and it looks like it has a couple of knots up near the top. There is also a small, straight bar on the right side of his left pocket that I don't recognize. Why would a Ranger from the 90's wear a black beret with that badly trimmed Army blue flash on it, and what crest is that? The guy is a walking Army Surplus Store display.
Old 3 January 2009, 13:04
Overseas Gunplumber

The cord he is wearing looks an awful lot like my German Schuetzenschnur. I believe it may be the gold one, but the picture is crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
The cord on his right shoulder isn't an Infantry cord. It's too long and it looks like it has a couple of knots up near the top. There is also a small, straight bar on the right side of his left pocket that I don't recognize. Why would a Ranger from the 90's wear a black beret with that badly trimmed Army blue flash on it, and what crest is that? The guy is a walking Army Surplus Store display.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 3 January 2009, 22:58
MSG Dman
Visitor

I just got caught up on this and all I can say is WOW.

If I was to guess, this guy was living his little lie, and this girl put him in for a very public award which is bringing all his lies to light.

There is no way this guy is legit, I know we must confirm, but we all know this is crap.
Old 3 January 2009, 23:01
MSG Dman
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
The cord he is wearing looks an awful lot like my German Schuetzenschnur. I believe it may be the gold one, but the picture is crappy.
I think you are right, that is what it is.
Old 3 January 2009, 23:33
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Dman View Post
I just got caught up on this and all I can say is WOW.

If I was to guess, this guy was living his little lie, and this girl put him in for a very public award which is bringing all his lies to light.

There is no way this guy is legit, I know we must confirm, but we all know this is crap.
I guess that what we have to do is document and prove that these two guys are fakes, then refer the completed proof to the journalist who wrote the original articles. It will then be up to the newspaper to reveal that they were misled.

I hate to abuse pathetic losers like this while they are down, and adrift living their concocted fantasies, but they really should choose some other means of boosting their self-esteem. They should claim to be former race car drivers, for example. Or firemen. Or astronauts. Or doctors.

Every time that we encounter yet another phony Ranger/SEAL/SF soldier/etc, we are obliged to unmask them.

We cannot let this slide.
Old 8 January 2009, 11:16
Been There Done That

Thanks for outing this POS poser. It is really sad to see people like this piece of s_ _ t make all the claims and BS they do then go to other threads and see where real heros gave their life in service to our country.
Most of the time these real Heros get little or no recognition for their service, much less the loss of limb or life.
Kudos to everyone who helps bust these liars because they steal from all the brave men who have walked the walk.
Old 8 January 2009, 11:33
Been There Done That

I do wish these idiots would at least do some research before they tell their lies. How hard is it to know that the last Five Star [Omar Bradley] died in 1981.

How about at least getting the rank right on their own uniform.

Of course mistakes like these show what type of stupid pond scum we are dealing with.

I hate going to the VA because of all the Ninja/CIA/SpecOps wannabes you run into.

That being said last time there I run into a WWII Ranger from 5th BN---What an honor to talk with him and hear him say "us Rangers got to stick together" and run the who do you know list. I'm 51 and still feel like a kid when I'm around those guys.

Sorry for running my mouth but these posers just piss me off.
Old 8 January 2009, 13:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post

Looks like the german Schützenschnur, yep.

The one on his left shoulder looks really familiar to me... my guess is french (i wore the same one if this is the one i think):

Old 12 January 2009, 17:19
BT,WBTWC

The Tampa Tribune reporter sent me a reply, which of course raised more red flags:

Quote:
Charles,
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you but we’ve been quite shorthanded in our office.
I was able to get in touch with C------ B------, the administrator of Liberty Manor re: James Craig Cherry.
In turn, she forwarded a copy of his DD214 and the information contained in it clearly documents his claim of being in five conflicts – Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Haiti and two others that are documented as “classified.”
The information also documents his receipt of the named awards.
I hope this helps dispel any doubt on your part.
Regards,
Joyce
I then sent her this somewhat longer reply:

Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I am now even more convinced that the document is a forgery.

There is simply no way that a DD Form 214 would be published using the word "CLASSIFIED" in lieu of a required entry.

Would it be possible for you to email me a scanned copy of the document -- feel to delete his Social Security Number, if desired -- and I will review it for accuracy. I will be back in my office on Monday, and can provide you with additional information then.

You may also want to show the DD 214 to a recruiter or other expert in the Tampa Area, who will have available the appropriate Army Regulations for comparison.

I have attached to this email several documents:
One is one of my DD Form 214 from my last separation from active duty. Notice how it is prepared as required by Army Regulations, in one type style, with no corrections or deletions. It will have the signature and name of the preparer, and will have codes (such as the Military Occupational Speciality MOS) code that should match the list of service schools completed during that term of active duty (non-cumulative) and awards and decorations (cumulative).

The others are some of my diplomas, from Special Forces Training, Airborne (Parachutist); Jumpmaster, etc. They are supported by written published orders, and then incorporated into the DD 214.

I'm sending these to you to give you a feel for what kind of documentation should be present, and what an authentic DD Form 214 looks like.

Let me give you an example:

Someone may claim to be Formula I race car driver, and winner of the 1975 German Grand Prix. In support of that, they show you an international driver's license, and a certificate (written in German) with some seals on it. Is he genuine? Well, for an international race car driver, you and I wouldn't know.
But a real Formula One race car driver could immediately point out that it is the wrong form, or signed by the wrong official, or that the seals on the form were first used in 1988 (for an alleged 1975 race), or that the certification number is a number used by NASCAR, not Formula One, etc.

So I'd like to see the document Mr. Cherry furnished you. I will also be requesting a public copy from the St. Louis Records Center to see if his copy matches the official Army copy of the certificate of discharge.
And she emailed me back:

Quote:
Charles,
I was given the DD214 form under the auspices I would not share it with others.
I suggest, as you said you would, you contact the St. Louis Records Center.
Thank you,
Joyce
So I have sent out a FOIA request (with SF180) for everything St. Louis will give me on Mr. Cherry.
Old 12 January 2009, 18:56
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
I was given the DD214 form under the auspices I would not share it with others.
Wonder why???
Old 12 January 2009, 19:07
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
Wonder why???
Because she wrote an article without verifying it and needs too cover her ass...

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.

Our new posting rules