SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 18 October 2011, 08:54

SFAS Prep Rucking

Hey, I spent a few days reading over a ton of posts on rucking and physical preparation for SFAS. From what I have gathered I think 55lbs, starting at 6 miles, with a goal of 13:30 min/mile...and doing this 3 times per week, is a start. (oh, and one 15 miler a week) Does this sound like a solid plan? Anyone have a program that worked well for them? Thanks
Old 18 October 2011, 09:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider92 View Post
Hey, I spent a few days reading over a ton of posts on rucking and physical preparation for SFAS. From what I have gathered I think 55lbs, starting at 6 miles, with a goal of 13:30 min/mile...and doing this 3 times per week, is a start. (oh, and one 15 miler a week) Does this sound like a solid plan? Anyone have a program that worked well for them? Thanks
What a great way to pose a question. There are a ton of techniques, but you are heading in the right direction. I think as long as you stick with your program, you will "self develop" your own good ruck program. Don't get complacent, and always strive to hit that next distance-weight-time target. There are a ton of others here that are more current in the ducking game...but at least from my vantage point your idea is a good start.
Old 18 October 2011, 09:39
Been There Done That

You can have the best plan in the world with piss poor participation and execution and you will fail.
You can have no plan whatsoever, but go out and push yourself frequently and forcefully, and you succeed.

The difference between the two programs is not the plan, it is the man behind the execution.

Something to think on.

Good luck.
Old 18 October 2011, 11:35

This question is off topic from the first, and I've noticed that it is previously unadressed in any other post. I've been rappelling for a couple years, but I've always had to do it with an ROTC group, and they only do it twice a year. I've played OPFOR for some Rangers a few times, and they rappelled in both missions against us. Any thoughts on a practice wall in my yard? I'm thinking that I should make it about 15 ft high, with just enough space at the top to rig my rope. Does this sound reasonable to you BTDT's?
Old 18 October 2011, 12:02
Been There Done That

Raider-

When I went to the Q-Course, I went in cold. I came from an Armored Cavalry unit (no rucking), went to jump school (a lotta' running), then to 91A (candy-a$$ed basic med course), then to Phase 1.

Prepping yourself is fine, but you will need to lose 2 words in your vocabulary- "I quit". Those two words put more people on the truck than anything the cadre will throw at you. Replace it with, "Just 100 meters more", and you'll do fine.

As far as rappelling, if that's your thing, go for it. I rappelled once in the Q-course, once off of the tower in Bad Toelz, and once off of that god-awful high cliff in Namur, Belgium. That was 3 times in over 10 years. We fast-roped quite a bit though.
Old 18 October 2011, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
Raider-

When I went to the Q-Course, I went in cold. I came from an Armored Cavalry unit (no rucking), went to jump school (a lotta' running), then to 91A (candy-a$$ed basic med course), then to Phase 1.

Prepping yourself is fine, but you will need to lose 2 words in your vocabulary- "I quit". Those two words put more people on the truck than anything the cadre will throw at you. Replace it with, "Just 100 meters more", and you'll do fine.

As far as rappelling, if that's your thing, go for it. I rappelled once in the Q-course, once off of the tower in Bad Toelz, and once off of that god-awful high cliff in Namur, Belgium. That was 3 times in over 10 years. We fast-roped quite a bit though.
Thank you for the advice. As far as fast roping goes, do you think it would help more just to build a small platform about 15ft high and practice that?
Old 18 October 2011, 12:14
Been There Done That

Raider-
Stay on point here. Fast roping and rappel walls have ZERO to do with SFAS. Focus or this thread will close.

First, and only, warning.

PA
Old 18 October 2011, 12:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. As far as fast roping goes, do you think it would help more just to build a small platform about 15ft high and practice that?
How about you worry about the fast roping when you're a BTDT and focus on the rucking, running, and maybe land nav like you researched?
Old 18 October 2011, 13:17

understood. won't happen again.
Old 18 October 2011, 22:57
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
From what I have gathered I think 55lbs, starting at 6 miles, with a goal of 13:30 min/mile...and doing this 3 times per week, is a start. (oh, and one 15 miler a week) Does this sound like a solid plan? Anyone have a program that worked well for them? Thanks
My opinion is that is to much to start. 35lb plus water and maybe 14:00 min/mi to start? I'd work up to a higher weight/faster pace over time. I did no more than 10mi when I was training and only two days a week. I was toward the front of all rucks at SFAS but that is my event.

I wouldn't worry about sliding down ropes, I'd worry about climbing up them, like a lot
Old 18 October 2011, 23:41
Been There Done That

Did you recieve a SFAS PT plan? SF recruiters gave it out for a while. Don't know if they still do. Several years ago, I was part of a group that conducted exit interviews of SFAS candidates-both those that got selected and those that quit, non selects, APFT failures, etc. Many of the ones that succeeded followed a PT plan that was recommended to them by recruiters.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 19 October 2011, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinw3 View Post
Did you recieve a SFAS PT plan? SF recruiters gave it out for a while. Don't know if they still do. Several years ago, I was part of a group that conducted exit interviews of SFAS candidates-both those that got selected and those that quit, non selects, APFT failures, etc. Many of the ones that succeeded followed a PT plan that was recommended to them by recruiters.
Negative. My recruiter is a regular recruiter, and since I'm in the Guard now and I'm making the transition to AD, I'm already a handful. So I don't think they're gonna help me out too much. All I have is the Ranger Hanbook, this website, a crossfit coach at my Alma Mater, and professionalsoldiers.com to help me out.
Old 19 October 2011, 10:59
Been There Done That

A frequently, and highly, recommended book is "Get Selected".

It contains a significant amount of helpful information for both physical and mental preparation.
Old 19 October 2011, 19:40

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf
Old 20 October 2011, 03:17
Chuck Norris Approved

Disclaimer..... I am not a BTDT but just wanted to share another program I was given. I am also not affiliated with this in anyway.

Military Athlete has a ruck program geared towards selection. I got it from someone and if the there are no objections from the mods I will post it here for review. The author specifically states he has never been to selection or seen any selections but it is information he has gathered from individuals who have attended. I have also never heard or read anything bad about the MA programs.
Old 20 October 2011, 08:40
The Sagacious One

I really don't know much about this, but from what I have read on the Internet, PT programs are like shoes, no one shoe fits everyone. While I have read that proper preparation is essential, dwelling on which one of these and how much of those is optimal for my chances at success IMHO is a sign of the anxiety one feels prior to such a test. I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 20 October 2011, 09:12
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I really don't know much about this, but from what I have read on the Internet, PT programs are like shoes, no one shoe fits everyone. While I have read that proper preparation is essential, dwelling on which one of these and how much of those is optimal for my chances at success IMHO is a sign of the anxiety one feels prior to such a test. I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Awesome post.
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 20 October 2011, 09:56
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Never read or heard anything in my life that so moved me, as that which TFG just wrote. The sheer truth of it is amazing.
Old 20 October 2011, 09:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
Disclaimer..... I am not a BTDT but just wanted to share another program I was given. I am also not affiliated with this in anyway.

Military Athlete has a ruck program geared towards selection. I got it from someone and if the there are no objections from the mods I will post it here for review. The author specifically states he has never been to selection or seen any selections but it is information he has gathered from individuals who have attended. I have also never heard or read anything bad about the MA programs.
negative

Read your statement - your information comes from people violating the confidentiality statement that they signed.

He has other options. He can use them.

PA
Old 20 October 2011, 12:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Never read or heard anything in my life that so moved me, as that which TFG just wrote. The sheer truth of it is amazing.
X2, thanks TFG, that is awesome!

Our new posting rules