Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 13 January 2017, 16:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor (proposed)

In a boxing ring, using boxing rules according to what I've heard.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt, but I bet people would still pay to see it.
Old 13 January 2017, 16:44
Administrator

Yeah I would say Mayweather inside 60 seconds if it's strictly boxing rules.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 13 January 2017, 18:10
Ne Obliviscaris

I grudgingly like Connor. Toe to toe with Mayweather...Connor would be laughing his ass off from his back/or crying after Floyd hit him a few times.
Old 13 January 2017, 18:41
Confirmed User

This is dumb and it's only going to fuel mouthbreathers who argue that Mayweather is a better fighter than Connor.

The only way that Connor wins this is through his bank account. His boxing is good but Mayweather will eat him alive.
Old 13 January 2017, 19:51

I think if Mayweather is serious about it, they should schedule two fights, about 6 months apart.

First one can be the boxing match, under the standard rules. But then has to step into the octagon with McGregor. If he fails to do so, he will forfeit his share of the purse(s).

That might be an interesting bout to watch.
Old 13 January 2017, 20:32
Problem Solver

Earlier today, Dana White offered Mayweather 25 million plus a PPV split to fight McGregor; Floyd responded by calling him a "fucking comedian".

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 13 January 2017, 21:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I think if Mayweather is serious about it, they should schedule two fights, about 6 months apart.

First one can be the boxing match, under the standard rules. But then has to step into the octagon with McGregor. If he fails to do so, he will forfeit his share of the purse(s).

I'd rather just see them box. Conor at least stands a chance in the ring, but he'd eat Mayweather alive in the cage. To get an idea of what an MMA fight between these two would look like, go to UFC Fight Pass (it's free this weekend) and look up Randy Couture vs. James Toney (spoiler alert: it ended with Randy strangling Toney within the first minute).
Old 13 January 2017, 21:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

I was in Okinawa when Ali fought Antonio Anoki. The big Japanese went to his back after about a minutes worth of Ali's punches. He stayed on his back for 15 rounds. Ended as a draw.

I don't know if it made money in the States but, Japan was buzzing.

The MMA we see on TV is turning into WWE, those tickets wont be cheap. Odd shit sells.
Old 13 January 2017, 21:24
Authorized Personnel

I'd like to see them both get a mouthful of glove, at least it would shut them up for a minute.
Old 13 January 2017, 23:05
Newbie shooter

This is a publicity stunt.

Everyone (literally) knows that Floyd would eat Connor alive if it's just boxing, and Connor would take Floyd's lunch money if it was MMA rules - assuming he didn't try to trade punches with him to prove a point.

The entire stance (that Floyd is a master of) in boxing, the bladed profile, is excellent for protection while trading punches but is almost the worst possible stance to defend against a leg kick. The turned front hip makes it almost impossible to turn the front shin 180 degrees and raise it to block a leg /thigh kick.

Floyd's entire life has been about being able to spectacularly judge the distance a fist travels - but just outside the punch range is the perfect distance to land a kick. He would eat a few kicks to the legs, maybe a few to the ribs under his punches and he would have no legs and no breath left.

I'm sure someone who specializes in boxing would be able to describe the detriments of an MMA trained stance in a boxing fight, but either way it's academic.

The owners of the UFC aren't about to let their biggest contract star get creamed in a boxing rules fight (no matter what the purse / take is) and no way Floyd comes out of retirement to lose his first fight under rules he has never fought under before.

This is two school yard kids trading insults from across the field.

Just won't happen.

- Local
Old 13 January 2017, 23:20
Violent Social Worker

I have zero interest in a boxing match.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 January 2017, 15:47

Boxing has really fallen off the map.

Used to be something to really look forward to, especially those bouts in the 80s in the welterweight class, and certainly the heavyweight division in the 60s and 70s. MMA is where it's at now, the demographics totally tilt in its favor. The youngest of those who grew up watching boxing at its peak are about my age now, in their 50s. And even I'm more into the MMA bouts than boxing these days.

I'd be more interested if Mayweather and McGregor fought an MMA bout, hardly any if they boxed.
Old 16 January 2017, 09:31
Been There Done That

I love the art of boxing, however this is just a play for easy money.
Floyd is looking for an easy 100m payday he'd barely have to train for and Connor would be happy to make 20m to lose.

No way the ufc allows this without their usual cut...so Floyd 100m, Connor 20m and UFC 80m is the only way it'll happen imo.
They need fighters to keep accepting their ridiculously low pay and keep making owners filthy rich.
Old 17 January 2017, 06:34
Been There Done That

Bob Arum says it's all BS

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/17/bob-ar...or-dana-white/

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 17 January 2017, 12:37
Been There Done That

If Mcgregor was that good of a boxer, he would be a professional boxer, making fuck loads more money than he ever will in the UFC. He will get destroyed. But to be fair, if they were in the octagon, my bet is he would get an easy win.
Old 17 January 2017, 13:11
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb Pay close attention folks...

MAYWEATHER TO DANA WHITE: YOU USED TO CARRY MY BAGS!

Link...

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 18 January 2017, 01:58
Confirmed User

My old boxing coach put it this way, and I have to somewhat agree: boxing is where the big money is at. If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers.
While alot of UFC fighters have some talent, all too many have absolute slop boxing ability. Or really any kind of stand up fighting ability. It's painful to watch. Can't throw a straight punch, no rhythm. Dudes would get eaten alive by any local amateur boxer. Why is this? Maybe they focus too much on Ju jitsu instead of their stand up game, maybe they have a coach who really doesn't know that much about boxing. There are likely a number of reasons. It's just embarrassing to watch sometimes.
Old 18 January 2017, 19:20
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
Dudes would get eaten alive by any local amateur boxer.
Under the limited, boring rules of boxing? Sure. In a fight where they can utilize their full skill set? I don't think any reason person believes that. Boxers are one dimensional and boring and certainly not better rounded fighters.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 17 March 2017, 10:12
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
My old boxing coach put it this way, and I have to somewhat agree: boxing is where the big money is at. If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers.
While alot of UFC fighters have some talent, all too many have absolute slop boxing ability. Or really any kind of stand up fighting ability. It's painful to watch. Can't throw a straight punch, no rhythm. Dudes would get eaten alive by any local amateur boxer. Why is this? Maybe they focus too much on Ju jitsu instead of their stand up game, maybe they have a coach who really doesn't know that much about boxing. There are likely a number of reasons. It's just embarrassing to watch sometimes.
This is the textbook attitude that arrogant boxers take. The comment "If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers." is so insanely immature, dogmatic, and ignorant, that I am almost shocked that it was written.

If "UFC fighters" only focused on working on boxing; then they'd be "boxers". Fighters who train all ranges of unarmed fighting, are arguably very talented if they stick with it. If you make the mistake of believing that training a single skill set is superior to training all ranges, ya better open your eyes.

Put an MMA fighter in a ring, playing by the limited rules of Boxing; ie, only being able to bang with punches, the boxer win's because of the limited rules. Remove the rules, allow all ranges of fighting, then put a boxer in a cage; the most boxers don't last a minute. Couture and Tony fight is a good example of that.

The embarrassing thing is believing that possessing only a single skillset is somehow superior.
Old 17 March 2017, 12:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
This is the textbook attitude that arrogant boxers take. The comment "If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers." is so insanely immature, dogmatic, and ignorant, that I am almost shocked that it was written.

If "UFC fighters" only focused on working on boxing; then they'd be "boxers". Fighters who train all ranges of unarmed fighting, are arguably very talented if they stick with it. If you make the mistake of believing that training a single skill set is superior to training all ranges, ya better open your eyes.

Put an MMA fighter in a ring, playing by the limited rules of Boxing; ie, only being able to bang with punches, the boxer win's because of the limited rules. Remove the rules, allow all ranges of fighting, then put a boxer in a cage; the most boxers don't last a minute. Couture and Tony fight is a good example of that.

The embarrassing thing is believing that possessing only a single skillset is somehow superior.
You're missing the point I'm making. Boxing is where the money is at. If I'm a young dude with alot of talent, would I want to fight in the UFC for 80k or box on HBO or Showtime for ten times that? You bring up the Couture and Tony fight but neglect to mention the Sylvia and Mercer fight.

Our new posting rules