SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 15 May 2018, 10:05
Been There Done That

What the hell ?!

So I just get a letter from the VA stating that back in 2002/2003 they overpaid me in benefits compensation. $1298.

Do they state they are going to start subtracting $109 a month from my current monthly disability payment until paid off.

15 freaking years later ?! What about statue of limitations? They just are figuring out now they made a mistake?

What they are saying is I went back on active duty for 12 months back in 2002/2003 and my 10% disability payment at the time should have been suspended, but was not. I have no clue if was paid or not, cannot remember that far back or what BA did or did not do. 16 years ago!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 May 2018, 10:15
Unemployed Stunt Double

I've known several guys who dealt with this. They got off AD, and were in the Guard. They were receiving VA disability. They were called to AD following 9/11, and never told the VA.

IIRC, the VA sent all of them nastygrams within a year or two. Did you recently have comms with the VA in which that period of AD was noted?

BTW, read up on the Statute of Limitations here. You are out of luck there.
Old 15 May 2018, 10:17
Shakin' the bush Boss

Nice. I'm glad they're on top of things like this as medical care continues to deteriorate and disability claims continue to get fucked up.

I can't even express the contempt I have for the VA.

Oh, and thanks for getting off the bench and getting in the war, now please send us some money. UFB
Old 15 May 2018, 10:28
The Sagacious One

On a good note, 25 years after the fact, they paid me back the tax I paid on my SSB. They paid it back after they recouped every dime of my SSB to include the tax. $14k.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 15 May 2018 at 14:37.
Old 15 May 2018, 10:32
Been There Done That

Appeal it. Everything is appealable in the VA. With the VA Appeal backload they might get to it in 2020.
I'm not kidding.
Old 15 May 2018, 14:39
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Appeal it. Everything is appealable in the VA. With the VA Appeal backload they might get to it in 2020.
I'm not kidding.
I JUST got this email this afternoon.

Rapid Appeal Act implementation
Old 16 May 2018, 15:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
I'm not kidding.
Yup. They are worse (better?) than the IRS in this regard.
Old 15 May 2018, 10:47
Been There Done That

That's screwed up LP. Unless a significant event is attached to it...I can't remember piddly shit like getting a letter that long ago.

I was unsure of getting my disability check this month. They wanted a form about my children's dependant status and they've been adults for 11 yrs, the last one. I was late getting the form in and they threatened to shut the payment off.

Assholes.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 May 2018, 16:45
Confirmed User

The VA is taking 33$ from my payments at the moment for drill pay I received while in the reserves in 2016. Except I ETS'd the reserves in 2015, and started getting VA disability in 16'....

I have already filed an appeal, and got an answer that it is under review, even though I sent in a copy of my discharge orders months before.
Old 15 May 2018, 19:39
Never to old to learn

Exclamation

VA’s Compliance with the Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act for FY 2017
05/14/2018 08:00 PM EDT

The VA Office of Inspector General (OIG) conducted a review to determine whether VA complied with the requirements of the Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act (IPERA) for fiscal year (FY) 2017. VA met four of six IPERA requirements for FY 2017 by publishing the Agency Financial Report (AFR), performing risk assessments, reporting improper payment estimates, and providing information on corrective action plans. VA did not fully comply with two of six IPERA reporting requirements as specified by the Office of Management and Budget. Specifically, VA did not: • Report a gross improper payment rate of less than 10 percent for seven of 13 programs and activities that had an improper payment estimate in its FY 2017 AFR. Further, two of the seven programs have exceeded the 10 percent threshold for three consecutive fiscal years. The two programs’ improper payments were primarily due to administrative or process errors, insufficient documentation, or noncompliance with Federal Acquisition Regulation requirements. • Meet annual reduction targets for seven programs and activities. In addition, four of the seven programs have not met reduction targets for three consecutive fiscal years and are repeat findings. These four programs’ improper payments were primarily due to administrative or process errors, insufficient documentation, or noncompliance with FAR requirements. The OIG recommended the Executives in Charge for the Office of the Under Secretary for Health and Veterans Benefits Administration develop a timeline to reduce improper payments under the 10 percent IPERA threshold and implement steps to reduce improper payments for its applicable programs and activities.

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?t...-05460-169.pdf

What the OIG Recommended The OIG made three recommendations to the Executive in Charge, Office of the Under Secretary for Health: 1. Develop a timeline to reduce improper payments under the 10 percent IPERA threshold for the Beneficiary Travel; Communications, Utilities, and Other Rents; Medical Care Contracts and Agreements; Prosthetics; Purchased Long Term Services and Support; Supplies and Materials; and VA Community Care Programs and activities. (Repeat from our FY 2016 report.)4 2. Implement steps to reduce improper payments for the Beneficiary Travel, Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Purchased Long Term Services and Support, Supplies and Materials, and VA Community Care Programs and activities. (Repeat from our FY 2016 report.) 3. Implement procedures to ensure thorough testing of sample items used to estimate improper payments for Supplies and Materials purchases under indefinite-delivery contracts. The OIG made three recommendations to the Executive in Charge, Veterans Benefits Administration: 1. Implement steps to achieve reduction targets for the Pension and Post-9/11 GI Bill Programs. 2. Continue working with the Department of Defense to increase the frequency of drill pay adjustments from annually to monthly. (Repeat from our FY 2016 report.)
4 Recommendations annotated as “Repeat from our FY 2016 report” were closed as not implemented. Please see Appendix D for more information.
VA’s Compliance with the Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act for FY 2017
VA OIG 17-05460-169 | Page iv | May 15, 2018
3. Continue to report statutory barriers preventing the complete resolution of drill pay improper payments in future Agency Financial Reports until resolved. Agency Comments VA management concurred with our recommendations and provided plans for corrective action. The OIG considers the planned actions responsive and will follow up on their implementation during the FY 2018 review of VA’s compliance with IPERA.

Last edited by wildman43; 15 May 2018 at 19:51.
Old 15 May 2018, 19:53
Never to old to learn

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
The VA is taking 33$ from my payments at the moment for drill pay I received while in the reserves in 2016. Except I ETS'd the reserves in 2015, and started getting VA disability in 16'....

I have already filed an appeal, and got an answer that it is under review, even though I sent in a copy of my discharge orders months before.
Read my posting below on IG report an Drill Pay Continue working with the Department of Defense to increase the frequency of drill pay adjustments from annually to monthly When did you submit a claim for disability with the V.A. was it prior to being Discharged? If so an you Drilled during that time you owe the Govt $33.00.

Last edited by wildman43; 15 May 2018 at 19:59.
Old 15 May 2018, 19:19
Authorized Personnel

You can also ask for a waiver of the debt, was not your fault, 15 years have passed etc etc...

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 16 May 2018, 10:18
Confirmed User

I owe several hundred. I didn't even start the claim until I was out a few months. I sent in my separation orders and they said I collected drill pay for Mar+Apr after I separated in the previous Dec...

I appealed but they already started taking out the money before the appeal process. I'm pretty sure they'll send the money back eventually. I've been through my GI bill benefits and had things like this happen before.

Our new posting rules