Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 22 December 2017, 17:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
...two chili dogs, and an order of fries for lunch at the Yntema club was a great thing
Holy shit! I remember that! We just walked right up the hill from the code room! Watch the dancer of the day while eating chili dogs and fries, then back to the dits and dahs.
Old 22 December 2017, 22:31
Been There Done That

Apocryphal story from back in the day...

At a certain SWC range, an old chubby and retired SF SGM used to drive the Roach Coach and ensure that he arrived each day for the SF kids to buy lunch items. Instead of parking at any other Ft Bragg Range. Because he liked SF Soldiers more than anyone else on Planet Earth... and it did his heart good to see the new generation going through their training paces.

Naturally, each day the students disrespected his fat old ass and made light of retired "Smadges" while indulging in chili-dogs, cold sodas, and moon pies. Just generally rude and giving the guy a hard time. The old guy just took their BS quietly and served pogie bait. Until it pissed off the SF cadre who actually knew who the guy was. A living SF Legend.

They formed up the class in front of the Roach Coach, formally introduced the SGM (Ret) and noted that he'd personally killed more NVA than there were students standing (at parade rest) in that impromptu formation. Then dropped their asses for push ups in the hot sun.

Students were abashed and contrite. Learning occurred.

I've forgotten who the Sergeant Major was, but the event happened as described.
Old 23 December 2017, 21:48
Preparing to defend

Gavin. You really think a Vespa would survive Chicken or Plank Road? And could carry enough?
Old 24 December 2017, 01:32
BT,WBTWC

I don't know if it is a cause or an effect, but after Special Forces I was more cynical/agnostic/critical, traits that have served me well during active duty and my second life as a criminal defense attorney, but not so endearing in my interpersonal relationships and social life.

Like when I ask my sweetpea "Did you mail the package?" and she says "I took care of it" and I respond "Objection, non-responsive, did you mail the package?" and she says "G-D it! I'm not on the witness stand, it's on the front seat of my car with the stamps on it and I'll mail it tomorrow."

We are watching television and the reporter describes a horrific crash and says "There were no injuries reported." Sweetpea says "Oh, good." And I say "That there were no injuries reported does not mean there were no injuries."

Our new posting rules