SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 3 June 2018, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
Bushman,
I'm the guy that Gavin is talking about, but he's spot on with his advice.

My former 18E/F just went to OCS in CA and got commissioned as a MI officer. The OCS process I think took two years since he went the traditional route vs the AD route. I offered him a job as a MI Officer in my SF BN but factor in the expenses as a commuter, it was just too much for him.

So going SF vs serving in SF has both pros/cons based upon what's best for you and your family.
18C4V, thanks for the advice. I am doing the fact finding right now before I have to re-enlist indef. and a lot of options close. I am leaning heavily toward the NG. I talked to a guy from SOD-N working at the Pentagon who said B/2/20 in MD has a pretty supportive command team. My best option may be to link-in with them.
Old 3 June 2018, 22:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman23 View Post
18C4V, thanks for the advice. I am doing the fact finding right now before I have to re-enlist indef. and a lot of options close. I am leaning heavily toward the NG. I talked to a guy from SOD-N working at the Pentagon who said B/2/20 in MD has a pretty supportive command team. My best option may be to link-in with them.
I have a good friend from the Q there if you want me to reach out. Last I was told they were over strength due to the amount of people in the WMA that drill out of there.
Old 3 June 2018, 23:26
Unemployed Stunt Double

First things first...remember, you don't need a supportive command team at an SF Guard unit. You need a state that will accept you into their commissioning process (OCS, direct, whatever). Find a Guard recruiter, start asking about getting commissioned. Introduce a supportive command team at an SF Guard unit to the equation only if it becomes apparent that you need them to get through the commissioning process. As soon as you start talking to an actual Guard SF unit, they start to see another SF qual'd name on the Co manning board. Your goal is not to fill a slot on a company manning board until you are an 18A.

Our new posting rules