Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 9 August 2016, 13:52
Authorized Personnel

Ozark Trail Yeti-style coolers

I posted in a cooler thread in the Lounge but figure I'd put one here for longevity.

Wal-Mart's in house camping brand Ozak Trail developed Yeti-style coolers earlier this year. They are still pretty rare and the stores that do get them only seem to get one or two at a time and they sell out almost immediately.

I have the 73qt ($195) and the 52 qt ($147). Same style, weight, closures, etc as the Yeti brand. Yeti is made in China, so are these. The Expedition portal and reddit nerds have tested them and they hold the same amount of ice for the same amount of time and cost a few hundred less. They are certified bear proof and come with a warranty.
Old 9 August 2016, 14:41
Nurse Ratched

Must be back ordered to infinity if the Walmart website wont let you order online or do ship to store either. How long did you have to stalk the cooler section to snag one?

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 9 August 2016, 14:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
Must be back ordered to infinity if the Walmart website wont let you order online or do ship to store either. How long did you have to stalk the cooler section to snag one?
Yeah you can't order them online yet.

I first heard about them in April. Three trips in about 2 weeks and I snagged the 73 qt.

I've been looking in the cooler section whenever we go there (about once a week) since April for a smaller one and didn't see one until today. So 4 months.

Hint: If you go to Wal-Mart and look at the cooler section look at their UPC codes and see if you can identify where one should be. If there is one that means the store is authorized to receive them. You can order it in-store and pick it up, but not sure how long it would take.

If your store doesn't have a UPC on the shelves for one they ain't getting them yet.
Old 9 August 2016, 19:12
Authorized Personnel

Damn! I wish people would quit posting about these until I can get my hands on some.

Old 9 August 2016, 22:18
Confirmed User

I've been impressed with some of the Ozark Trail stuff lately; seems like WalMart stepped up its game in the camping section.

I haven't found the coolers at any WalMarts yet, but I was able to snag a few of the Ozark Trail tumbler cups.

They run about $10 for the 30 oz and $8 for the 20 oz, and after comparing mine to a Yeti brand one there is no difference whatsoever. Same insulation capability, exactly the same dimensions and materials. I'd be willing to bet they're made in the same factory as the Yetis and they just change the logo...

There's also another company called Rtic that makes the exact same coolers and cups; they're not as cheap as Ozark Trail but still about half the price of Yeti.
Old 9 August 2016, 22:56
Authorized Personnel

Yeah we have three of the tumblers, they work amazingly well. Keep ice in them for hours.
Old 10 August 2016, 00:09
Been There Done That

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/...orning-wakeup/

Sounds like a good, inexpensive alternative to the yeti KidA. Have to keep my eyes open for one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 August 2016, 00:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Sounds like a good, inexpensive alternative to the yeti KidA. Have to keep my eyes open for one.
Ha. They definitely have a rabid fanboi following. There are apparently some people who look down on a lot of people who have them for having too much money and buying only the brand name gear all the time.

On the other hand they seemingly last forever. I've seen guys with them that look like they were run over by trucks and they still hold ice.

I'm just too cheap to buy them. I was under the impression they were made in China which is why I went with the Ozark Trail brand, but someone in the Lounge corrected me. Now I feel kinda bad about not buying US made after all the shit I talk about Chinese crap but what's done is done.
Old 10 August 2016, 01:34
Been There Done That

Hard to find just about anything not made in China, or overseas, these days.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 10 August 2016, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Quote:
If you own a YETI cooler, there is a very strong chance I hate you. I know I’m in the minority here, but I think the creation of the YETI cooler is the absolute worst thing to happen in America and it will one day destroy all of civilization.

Let me explain: YETI coolers are incredibly overpriced and the hype surrounding them needs to chill the **** out. Sure, it’s a very nice cooler, but people act like it’s the telephone or the printing press or the wheel. It’s not even the ShamWow or Awesome Auger. It’s a cooler. It’s an expensive cooler. It holds ice and things that need to be kept cold. My Coleman’s been doing that for over two decades without problem and I didn’t spend $400 on it.
Bolded part was probably ripped from my brain about 4 years ago when I first started hearing about these damn things.

There is NOTHING about the Yeti coolers that justifies the price tag. Yetis are expense and "in demand" because it's now a 'status symbol' for all the stupid "saltwater life" frat-tacular fuckbois that want to peacock-signal to other suburban faggots that they are in the same bi-curious dick-sucking "club".

I used to float the Guadalupe river a while back in my college days and we'd all do the 'rip apart/cut holes in the igloo cooler and turn it into a beer-storing stereo system' thing. And it was cool because it was like $75 of work, was fun to do, and it kept our jello shots and beer cold and fed us tunes all day on the river with a go-kart battery.

One day it all went to shit when, of course, some group of fucking greek faggots in sperry's, 80s sunglasses, and plaid shorts took their lawyer daddy's allowance money and bought a 75qt Yeti cooler (~$500) and took it to an actual fab shop and ruined it by having it holes and shit drilled in it. And to add insult to injury, these fucking kids filled the thing with shitty Natty Lite beer. Not to mention we're all trying to jam out to Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin and these cunts decide to start playing Katy Perry and other gay pop songs.
Old 10 August 2016, 05:36
The Sagacious One

Cabelas has their own brand and another new-comer, Rtic touts they are better than Yeti at half the price.
Old 10 August 2016, 05:45
A/1/75

I have an Rtic Drink Cup and it is amazing how long it keeps things cold/hot. It was given to me so I have no idea the cost.

Charlie
Old 10 August 2016, 08:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Cabelas has their own brand and another new-comer, Rtic touts they are better than Yeti at half the price.
A vendor sent me one of these and it works very well. It kept ice for three days in the July heat here in PA. Integrated bottle openers on the latches come in handy as well.
Old 10 August 2016, 09:18
Confirmed User

I picked up a couple of the Ozark trail tumblers and for the price they can't be beat.
Old 10 August 2016, 09:29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
...frat-tacular fuckbois that want to peacock-signal to other suburban faggots that they are in the same bi-curious dick-sucking "club".
Or....maybe it's a fantastic product that has found a market with people that are sick of buying "heavy-use" $200 coolers that don't work for shit and fall apart after two years....(?)

Wait....if he wants to suck my dick, does that make me gay?

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 10 August 2016, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Or....maybe it's a fantastic product that has found a market with people that are sick of buying "heavy-use" $200 coolers that don't work for shit and fall apart after two years....(?)
I dunno......I just can't see the ROI on those things. At least not with the casual use I've seen most people that have them.

I've been on a boat plenty of times, I don't know what constitutes "heavy use" on a boat, but my little igloo and/or coleman has done just fine I guess.

Quote:
Wait....if he wants to suck my dick, does that make me gay?
Are we playing with prison rules here?
Old 10 August 2016, 11:41
Nurse Ratched

I went into Walmart for a lawn mower battery and one of the 73qt coolers fell into my cart. Oops

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 10 August 2016, 11:45
Confirmed User

Pelican makes awesome coolers that rate similar or better than the Yeti in almost all aspects, are usually at least $100 cheaper for a comparable size, are bear proof certified (for what that's worth), have a lifetime warranty, and are made in the USA.

I grabbed one on sale after getting pissed off about my brand new Coleman not holding ice through a 3 day weekend at the lake. They are heavy, but built right, and retain ice really well.

If you can't find the Ozark Trail cooler you are looking for, but stumble across a Pelican, don't hesitate. They are worth every penny.
Old 10 August 2016, 11:58
A lost ball in high weeds

I'll never pay $200 for a cooler. 200 bucks will buy a shitload of ice.

Besides, since I stopped drinking, I no longer have to haul a case of ice cold beer everywhere I go.
Old 10 August 2016, 19:30
Been There Done That

I picked up the Academy copy of the yeti. 50 quart for 199. Works great keeping ice in the back of the truck in Alabama summer heat. The time I have trouble is in the back of my truck with the trifold cover.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.

Our new posting rules