SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 9 January 2018, 07:24
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudWrench View Post
Just for reference, I would kill myself if I had to do what our static guys do all day. Being stuck in a Bearcat for 12 hours with 4 other awesome guys is still being stuck in a Bearcat for 12 hours.
You have me there, I was never at Bearcat ... but yeah, I've known a couple of spots that gave me that feeling

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 9 January 2018, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I have another question for anybody who's working WPS etc recently: Is contracting enjoyable anymore? I don't mean is it a vacation, let me elaborate. I was last in Iraq after the troops left on '12, and there were barely any American or coalition personnel there anymore. The place was like a ghost town relatively speaking.

Is there still a comraderie and life long friendships being built working a dangerous job with like minded individuals, hitting the gym, training and all that or has it become routine like any other job? Guys coming and going for a paycheck and that's all?

I first learned BJJ by some Blackwater guys that started a class a couple times a week and I still train when I can. I remember the FOB gym was packed like a bar on Saturday night after duty hours and groups of guys were always hanging out shooting the shit outside their pad like we did in the mil. Is it still like that or what? I should add it seemed as if the contact crowd was as tight as we were in the military.
Especially if your doing anything Static it has become very 9-5 ish. You work 6 12 hour shifts per week. So the time to hang out and do nothing is very limited.
Old 9 January 2018, 10:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudWrench View Post
Just for reference, I would kill myself if I had to do what our static guys do all day. Being stuck in a Bearcat for 12 hours with 4 other awesome guys is still being stuck in a Bearcat for 12 hours.
Wasn't stuck in a bearcat for 12 hrs a day but was in an office doing QRF for 12 hrs a day. That 12 hrs gave me the time to knockout 5 Masters classes at the same time. So basically I was an overpaid college student.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 9 January 2018, 11:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prxspect View Post
As a cherry in the PMC industry, I sincerely hope it doesn't have that, "9-5" mundane feel.
Just curious, is there anything anyone here would sway you from going or are you just looking for at least one person to confirm your decision? I think anyone who goes over for $144 a day is fucking nuts. You want a good job, join the guard and enlist in a job skill that will get you a good paying job in the real world. I think going over for $144 a day is taking a step back in life not forward.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 9 January 2018, 12:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Wasn't stuck in a bearcat for 12 hrs a day but was in an office doing QRF for 12 hrs a day. That 12 hrs gave me the time to knockout 5 Masters classes at the same time. So basically I was an overpaid college student.

That's actually my plan minus 2-3 master's classes. Thanks, you just gave me a lot of hope.
Old 9 January 2018, 12:17
Been There Done That

What is your mil background? Just curious why you are 'scraping the barrel' to find work.

Not talking shit to anyone here, but I thought WPS was fairly easy to get into if you have a combat arms background, and that is a MUCH better contract than what you are getting yourself into.

I have to agree with Jong, 144/day is crap. If you are working 12 hour shifts (F that) then you are making $12/hour. If you count the full 24 since you are deployed, now you are well below minimum wage everywhere in the US, and for what? $12/hour isn't hard to make in the states, plus you have the added bonus of a piece of ass every night (since you are married). I know guys who have done that gig, they unanimously said it sucks - no redeeming qualities. They all jumped ship as fast as possible. Only possible reason I would say to do it is if you were combat arms but don't have the requisite high-threat deployment time for better contracts - but from what others have said, the time spent in that gig doesn't always count.

To echo MixedLoad, where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your goals? Bottom line is we all have our own reasons for doing this work, just make sure your reasons are worth the extra stress for no money.
Old 9 January 2018, 13:31

[QUOTE=Jong;1058697385]Just curious, is there anything anyone here would sway you from going or are you just looking for at least one person to confirm your decision? [QUOTE]

I am still extremely skeptical and on edge about taking that position. It is much lower than I ever would have anticipated making, as a contractor. I've taken everything in, that has been commented and my wife certainly doesn't want me to take a position for that little. I'm doing, what I think is my best to get in contact with recruiters (for contracting) along with applying for other static and WPS positions.

20boatguy22, my apologies, I must have overlooked the initial post of these questions:
1) In five years I would like to be finished or finishing my degree. I mentioned earlier, I have shadowed different specialties in the civilian world, from investment traders to orthopedic surgeons, and as I found great potential careers of interest, right now I would like to participate in security contracting or go back active duty and give selection a shot.

As usual, thanks again for all the help and replies, fellas.
2) What are my goals? Very broad question, but I suppose to bring value to the marketplace in diversified forms throughout my lifetime.

I tried to not make that a cluster of poetic bullshit, but it still comes out that way haha anyways, as I was telling one member, initially, I was expecting around $65k minimum for my first contract, and being offered $144/day first 6 months, and $154/day for the next, is far below my initial standard.
Old 9 January 2018, 13:32

I am still extremely skeptical and on edge about taking that position. It is much lower than I ever would have anticipated making, as a contractor. I've taken everything in, that has been commented and my wife certainly doesn't want me to take a position for that little. I'm doing, what I think is my best to get in contact with recruiters (for contracting) along with applying for other static and WPS positions.

20boatguy22, my apologies, I must have overlooked the initial post of these questions:
1) In five years I would like to be finished or finishing my degree. I mentioned earlier, I have shadowed different specialties in the civilian world, from investment traders to orthopedic surgeons, and as I found great potential careers of interest, right now I would like to participate in security contracting or go back active duty and give selection a shot.

2) What are my goals? Very broad question, but I suppose to bring value to the marketplace in diversified forms throughout my lifetime.

I tried to not make that a cluster of poetic bullshit, but it still comes out that way haha anyways, as I was telling one member, initially, I was expecting around $65k minimum for my first contract, and being offered $144/day first 6 months, and $154/day for the next, is far below my initial standard.
As usual, thanks again for all the help and replies, fellas.
Old 9 January 2018, 13:46
Been There Done That

If you haven't taken it yet, do not take it. Go to college instead.

If you want to go back in the service and attend a SOF selection...do so.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 January 2018, 14:30
Been There Done That

As I've said in here before- you can and will make more money as a bartender than you can as a static guard on these low rent gigs for fly by night companies.

And go to school at the same time. And not get blowed up.
19 Oct 2017
Old 9 January 2018, 15:24
In Vino Veritas

Go to college and then join 19th/20th SFG. Easy day. You’ll leave the Q course with more quals and opportunities than you’ll amass just trying to contract.
Old 9 January 2018, 15:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Go to college and then join 19th/20th SFG. Easy day. You’ll leave the Q course with more quals and opportunities than you’ll amass just trying to contract.
This ^ worked for him.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 January 2018, 18:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yeah and then you can proceed to contract the entire year and miss all the drills and its okay but when I cant come to Thursday and Friday of a 4 day drill because I have a grown up job I get shit.
19 Oct 2017
Old 9 January 2018, 18:34
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Yeah and then you can proceed to contract the entire year and miss all the drills and its okay but when I cant come to Thursday and Friday of a 4 day drill because I have a grown up job I get shit.
Exactly...

To the original poster, I’ve worked one of the better static security contracts while waiting for the final word on another opportunity. I only did two trips and I was ready to suck start my M-4. It was quick, decent money, and mostly solid guys, but there’s no way I could have done that for any length of time.
Old 9 January 2018, 19:22
Navigating

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Quote:
Exactly...

To the original poster, I’ve worked one of the better static security contracts while waiting for the final word on another opportunity. I only did two trips and I was ready to suck start my M-4. It was quick, decent money, and mostly solid guys, but there’s no way I could have done that for any length of time.
This type of advise is why I’m glad I stumbled upon SOCNET. Lot a of people with a bunch of knowledge and experience. Also makes me a little worried because I’m being considered for one of the “best” Static jobs out there. Good thing I’m not trying to do it for a long time.
Old 9 January 2018, 20:24
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneisel256 View Post
This type of advise is why I’m glad I stumbled upon SOCNET. Lot a of people with a bunch of knowledge and experience. Also makes me a little worried because I’m being considered for one of the “best” Static jobs out there. Good thing I’m not trying to do it for a long time.
Just stare out your window playing on your phone for 8 hours a day. Then have someone blame you for ANYTHING that goes wrong. The only thing you’re missing is the paycheck, but you’ll get to sleep in your own bed.
Old 9 January 2018, 23:02
Been There Done That

We didn't get blamed for EVERYTHING, just most things. And collectively, not individually (even though the few things that were our fault were individuals...).

Yes, boring but good money. And the biggest perk for me is the freedom when home - no office, make my own hours.

As for suck starting anything...I always figured you were a homeboy.
Old 9 January 2018, 23:18
Navigating

Quote:
Just stare out your window playing on your phone for 8 hours a day. Then have someone blame you for ANYTHING that goes wrong. The only thing you’re missing is the paycheck, but you’ll get to sleep in your own bed.
Are you referring to an OCONUS static gig or stateside? If that question is an OPSEC concern, I get pleading the 5th. Thanks
Old 10 January 2018, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneisel256 View Post
I know of only one static gig that only one would consider "best" and its def not on a DOD or DOS side of the house.. Static sucks period... But easy money and time to go to school, all depends on what your looking for..
Old 10 January 2018, 10:41
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
I know of only one static gig that only one would consider "best" and its def not on a DOD or DOS side of the house.. Static sucks period... But easy money and time to go to school, all depends on what your looking for..
I’m not qualified for anything like that.

Our new posting rules