SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 12 January 2018, 03:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneisel256 View Post
Iím not qualified for anything like that.
You might be surprised.
Old 14 January 2018, 18:21

I am feeling this thread. I recently decided to rent out my house and take the next few years to pay off my mortgage. Traveling light, with no family. As I wanted to get deployed and I took an obviously dull static contract. I deploy Thursday and will make the most of it. I am still internally battling between PSS opportunities with both of the two larger companies. As a newbie, I am constantly bombarded with negative comments from most of my friends at the larger of the two. These same friends are trying to push me towards the "best static gig," which everyone seems to enjoy, but sounds dull to me.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:00
Been There Done That

Iíve only been on one static gig, but Iíd wager they are all dull. Some contracts (read, companies) just treat you better than others. At the end of the day, though, you are a number and they usually have a bunch of guys on the bench waiting to work.
Old 16 January 2018, 07:50
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20boatguy22 View Post
Iíve only been on one static gig, but Iíd wager they are all dull. Some contracts (read, companies) just treat you better than others. At the end of the day, though, you are a number and they usually have a bunch of guys on the bench waiting to work.
I canít imagine there is a better one around. As the name implies, itís ďstaticĒ and by that nature fairly mundane. So the tangables are the food, living conditions, gym, Internet, guys you work with, and how you are treated. Boatguy has been doing it for a little bit so he knows. 0369 if youíre qualified for something else go for it, but as for the gig youíre referring to you wonít find better tangables any place else. Better pay yes, but none of the above listed.
Old 16 January 2018, 12:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0369 View Post
I am feeling this thread. I recently decided to rent out my house and take the next few years to pay off my mortgage. Traveling light, with no family. As I wanted to get deployed and I took an obviously dull static contract. I deploy Thursday and will make the most of it. I am still internally battling between PSS opportunities with both of the two larger companies. As a newbie, I am constantly bombarded with negative comments from most of my friends at the larger of the two. These same friends are trying to push me towards the "best static gig," which everyone seems to enjoy, but sounds dull to me.
ďDullĒ is exactly what you want in this business. If youíre looking for excitement then re-enlist.
Old 16 January 2018, 13:53
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
ďDullĒ is exactly what you want in this business. If youíre looking for excitement then re-enlist.
My thoughts exactly, Iím a fan of dull in that line of work.
Old 16 January 2018, 16:20

To potentially end this thread, and to update/review SOCNET for future users- rookie members and veterans on this site have given great insight and connections for me, and through the connections I have obtained a contract that is 3x's (literally) the pay I entered this site with, and also with a reputable company. Definitely taking the advice to finish my degree while I'm over there. Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 16 January 2018, 16:30
Policeman Officer

Awesome! Remember to treat every paycheck as if it could be your last, invest conservatively, and better yourself while you're away. I made a bunch of money but didn't really advance myself at all besides that.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 16 January 2018, 17:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Awesome! Remember to treat every paycheck as if it could be your last, invest conservatively, and better yourself while you're away. I made a bunch of money but didn't really advance myself at all besides that.
This x1000. I wish I did it better over the 5 years I contracted. Do your absolute hardest not to raise your quality of life because you're making more money. Keep living poor so you can live better down the road.
Old 16 January 2018, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20boatguy22 View Post
You might be surprised.
Unfortunately nowadays yes. Hanging it up was the smartest choice I made.
Old 16 January 2018, 19:03
Anesthetized User

FYI:

CLEP/DANTES. DANTES satisfies SOME upper division IIRC. Knock that shit out THEN go to a college or university. All lower division can be done before enrollment.

144 dollars a day. Define day. 8, 10, 12, 24 hour workday? 1.5-2.0 time for anything more than your stated work hours? 144 for even a 8 hour day is a no go for me.

I started on contract by my app getting to someone I worked the streets with, what are the odds lol, I bummed around the world for more than a few years before going home.

I was lucky enough to meet and work with a small group of South African's. Amazing people that I still count as friends.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)

Last edited by Expatmedic; 16 January 2018 at 19:09.
Old 16 January 2018, 20:46
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
This x1000. I wish I did it better over the 5 years I contracted. Do your absolute hardest not to raise your quality of life because you're making more money. Keep living poor so you can live better down the road.
"Lifestyle inflation". I enjoyed myself and spent a ton of money on booze, women and travel. I regret NONE of that since every leave legitimately could have been the last. But I didn't even own a vehicle the whole time I was gone.

Expatmedic, I worked with a bunch of great South Africans. I still talk to my South African roommate all the time.

Prxspect, I was right here asking these same questions just over thirteen years ago and the guidance I got influenced my life for the better.

Last piece of advice... don't buy dinar.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 16 January 2018, 20:56
Confirmed User

Contracting looked sooooo cool back in 2004-2007 last I was with the Army over there. Not so much the money aspect because it's not like I even saw that, but all the dudes looked happy, and they got to wear regular clothes etc. I do remember some homos, but like I said earlier, I started BJJ because some BW guys had a class going.

By 2012 when I went back it was about dead. Can't imagine what it is like now but after I get PHTLS next summer I'm going to try and go back.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:15

I don't know a lot about the field, other than what friends have told me. I talked to a guy who was one of my boots in the late 00s. He's been at it a couple years, and now has a fresh divorce and a kid. He had to sell two of three Cadillacs.

I kept it simple. Rented out my house and plan on having the mortgage paid off in five years. In addition, knock out a masters degree.
Old 29 January 2018, 23:18

The benefit to those contracts is the time counts toward the 12mo requirement for WPS.
Old 30 January 2018, 07:54
Confirmed User

Static security which this thread is about for WPS PSS? No it does not. Only PSD or some type of close protection counts towards 1 year of high threat protective security. Be wary if someone told you otherwise.
Old 1 February 2018, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Static security which this thread is about for WPS PSS? No it does not. Only PSD or some type of close protection counts towards 1 year of high threat protective security. Be wary if someone told you otherwise.
Truth. I've asked this question, and confirmed it with multiple different companies. I've learned, what you are qualified going into contracting for, is what you stay at. I.: Static security- You would stay static and just move up on the food chain in static.
Old 1 February 2018, 18:10
Confirmed User

Ok, that makes sense.
Old 16 February 2018, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Quoting the truth. I am short on deployment time and only have National Guard experience, so while I'm a paramedic and meet the medical requirements for PSS Paramedic, I don't have the high threat experience. I am qualified for static paramedic work but none of that time will count towards high threat, thus the bridge over to PSS work even with a few pumps of Static medic work won't cut it, and verified by who I'm currently processing through.

Our new posting rules