SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 12 March 2018, 17:20
Did...did I do that?

Austin explosions

Three package bombs in ten days; two were today. Two killed, two injured. First two were left at homes of black families. Third was a Hispanic family. (APD Chief) Manley said the U.S. Postal Service confirmed that its carriers had not delivered the package in Monday's explosion. And while police are checking with other delivery services, including Amazon, UPS and FedEx, Manley said it appeared the packages were not delivered through traditional services.

And just to make things interesting, the SXSW conference is going on this week. The scanner feed is going nuts right now with suspicious package calls.

APD "can't rule out" that these are hate crimes. The kid killed this morning was apparently active in the community, a real helping, caring kid, so that seems to rule out gang activity.

Package bombs in Austin. WTH?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=austin+pac...=news&iar=news
Old 12 March 2018, 18:09
Confirmed User

Just fucking great...

Prayers for the deceased and wounded, and this ends now.
Old 12 March 2018, 18:17
Shakin' the bush Boss

Whoever's doing this, I hope they run them to ground rapidly. I'd say the cops are in overdrive out there right now.
Old 12 March 2018, 19:43
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Whoever's doing this, I hope they run them to ground rapidly. I'd say the cops are in overdrive out there right now.
Yup. Hope so. No matter what there will be a shitload of conspiracy theories.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 March 2018, 19:49
Corpsman Up!

We are just hoping these aren't "test runs" before SXSW that starts tomorrow.
Old 12 March 2018, 21:26
Confirmed User

Forgot about SXSW starting this weekend. Hope this is someone leveling the score with folks and not some even crazier nut randomly delivering bombs for shits and giggles. Tracking his deliveries are going to be more difficult now that Amazon is using Uber/Lyft to make deliveries. Its no longer considered odd to see POV's stopping and dropping stuff off.

Good hunting to those out there looking.
Old 12 March 2018, 21:41
Confirmed User

Some left wing SOB steering up Hate Crime's
Old 12 March 2018, 21:42
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAT View Post
Forgot about SXSW starting this weekend. Hope this is someone leveling the score with folks and not some even crazier nut randomly delivering bombs for shits and giggles. Tracking his deliveries are going to be more difficult now that Amazon is using Uber/Lyft to make deliveries. Its no longer considered odd to see POV's stopping and dropping stuff off.

Good hunting to those out there looking.
holy shit!?!? This is news to me. That seems rather dangerous.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 12 March 2018, 22:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
holy shit!?!? This is news to me. That seems rather dangerous.
Same day, and often next day, deliveries are by my contractor drivers and not professional services.
Old 12 March 2018, 23:04
Did...did I do that?

Yep, there are two threads in /r/Austin about this, and someone who is a contractor pointed that out. No car markings, no uniform. He said some of them wear traffic vests, but those are a dime a dozen.
Old 13 March 2018, 00:23
Been There Done That

I get Amazon deliveries at our office all the time from people in normal clothes. That's the new norm. I don't know why this happened but I'm pretty sure everyone's working their asses off to figure it out. The coming days will be interesting.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 15 March 2018, 19:29
Make a desert and call it peace.

So, any further word or is this just hate-hoax #2334398 down the memory hole? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 15 March 2018, 21:32
Policeman Officer

Well there are multiple people dead. That's not a hoax. Suspect and motive unknown.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 15 March 2018, 21:38
Did...did I do that?

APD is still working the case, but either they're keeping quiet about it, or there are no real leads.
Old 15 March 2018, 21:49
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Well there are multiple people dead. That's not a hoax. Suspect and motive unknown.
You're right, false flag is better terminology on my part. The hoax part is the motivation of the attacker. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 15 March 2018, 22:12
The Sagacious One

Since when are bombings lounge material?
Old 15 March 2018, 22:49
Unemployed Stunt Double

Package bombings (and like sorts of homicides) often make for tricky investigations. The impersonal nature of the crime makes bombings more complicated than traditional homicide investigative processes. Often times only one of the victims is truly targeted, motive-wise, other vics are often misdirection to throw off suspicion (hard motive to figure out)...now add the problem that the victims are not always the intended targets. If you want to kill someone and get away with it, kill someone that you have zero reason to kill. That is often the case with package bombings.

So...could take a while. Hell, it took a family member to turn in Ted Kazoo...Kzazxmineriksy...Kockamamie...K...er...the Unabomber.
Old 15 March 2018, 22:59
Policeman Officer

Definitely could be a false flag type thing in keeping with the fake hate crime trend. But I don't think there's been any communication from the suspect yet or at least nothing released.

Old 16 March 2018, 09:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Package bombings (and like sorts of homicides) often make for tricky investigations.... Often times only one of the victims is truly targeted, motive-wise, other vics are often misdirection to throw off suspicion (hard motive to figure out)...now add the problem that the victims are not always the intended targets.
I was asking my buddy that lives in Central Texas area yesterday if there was anything new going on with the bombinga and local news has nothing. The tactic stated above has definitely been used before, it takes resources and investgators a long time to figure out. Or a good witness coming forward.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...rom=new-cookie
Old 17 March 2018, 20:04

We have a call type equating to a "suspicious package" and up until recently I've only heard this call go out a handful of times.

Since these events have been transpiring in Austin I have been hearing these calls going out multiple times a day, sometimes a couple going on at the same time. To the extent of my knowledge none have amounted to anything yet.

Our new posting rules