SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 6 April 2018, 05:58
Confirmed User

Florida Agencies

Any recommendations? I’m interested in doing a lateral down there after I finish a couple years overseas and my masters. I’ve been looking at Orlando and Tampa. I have also heard that there are significant funding advantages to SO compared to municipal, I’m not sure how accurate that is obviously.
Old 6 April 2018, 08:01
Confirmed User

I am looking at the Ocala area because in the next year or so my parents are shutting down the house in Columbus, OH and moving to their "winter" home full time.

My former FTO and good friend of mine I have known for about 16 years, spent 25+ years with the Pinellas County Sheriffs Office. He always had good things to say about them. My sister lives in that same area now, and really likes it plus they have a great school system.

I know St. Pete PD was on a big push to hire officers, and they have a lot of extra duty assignments with a lot of it being centered around the Tampa Rays but they may change if the powers that be move the stadium to just outside downtown Tampa.

If I was looking into the Orlando area, I would look at the Orange County Sheriffs Office. Great pay, will pay for an academy if you need it, numerous units to lateral transfer to.

Plus the FHP is extremely short handed but the downside is their pay is severely lacking.
Old 6 April 2018, 08:34
Confirmed User

I did 20yrs in the panhandle with a small city and can tell you the pay is definitely better down south. I always heard good things about Orange County SO. I have been down there for some SWAT schools and was really impressed with their training facilities. They fall under the FRS state retirement system. Also, consider buying back military time. I did and it worked out great for me.
Old 6 April 2018, 08:49
Confirmed User

My shift is always short here in Polk County. But compared to Hillsborough, so is my paycheck. HCSO and OCSO, I believe, let you live in Polk where the housing is cheaper. Always needing more deputies, good luck, shop around, most agencies need new school resource, so the openings abound.
Old 6 April 2018, 08:50
Authorized Personnel

Are deputies in Florida civil service? Or do they serve at the pleasure of the sheriff?
Old 6 April 2018, 10:38
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Are deputies in Florida civil service? Or do they serve at the pleasure of the sheriff?
I'm almost 100% positive that the SOs in Flordia are at the will of the sheriff.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 6 April 2018, 11:09
Sub Rosa

One of my buddies (former 18B) is a major with a Pinellas County PD. We just had a conversation about his problem in recruiting qualified LEO candidates. He told me that all agencies, including PCSO, in the county are struggling with hiring so if you can get your Florida cert, pass the background, and not a shitbird, then you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a position. Also, he mentioned that there is a new program being discussed regarding hiring retired LEOs for armed part-time SRO positions.

This might be useful: https://www.tampagov.net/police/join-tpd
Old 6 April 2018, 21:30
Rocket Surgeon

Things to consider:
1) What you want to do. Sheriff's Offices are usually bigger than PDs here, with a couple minor exceptions. More funding and breadth of assignments usually happen at the SOs.

2) What your retirement planning looks like. Our "beloved" governor had state high risk retirement adjusted to a 30 year pension plan, unless you're using the investment plan option. That means state agencies and county Sheriff's Offices are less marketable to someone with a shorter window towards retirement due to age or prior experience.

3) Civil service isn't really a thing here, due to FL being a right to work/at-will employment state. That said, policy typically protects SO Deputies from being terminated because you wore striped socks on polka dot sock day. It's not like the deep south, where a change of Sheriff causes a change of all personnel. At my particular agency, LT and up serve at the pleasure. Sergeant and below are part of the bargaining unit and protected by policy and contract.

Where do you want to live, what type of work do you want to do, and what are your career/retirement goals?

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 7 April 2018, 08:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
At my particular agency, LT and up serve at the pleasure. Sergeant and below are part of the bargaining unit and protected by policy and contract.
Thanks. That's how it is here, except the cut off is captain IIRC.
Old 8 April 2018, 13:16
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

There’s was a past socnet member who is a pilot with the Charlotte Co. Sheriff’s Office now; from what he tells me, the department has a big budget and county jail assignments arent too long if you want to do other details. CCSO is near Punta Gorda, FL I believe.
Old 8 April 2018, 13:44
Confirmed User

Check out Boca Raton PD. Top step is like 100k right now.
Old 8 April 2018, 15:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
There’s was a past socnet member who is a pilot with the Charlotte Co. Sheriff’s Office now; from what he tells me, the department has a big budget and county jail assignments arent too long if you want to do other details. CCSO is near Punta Gorda, FL I believe.
Quite area, and I believe that the Flying Pig is still a member, just inactive.
Old 8 April 2018, 21:01
Been There Done That

If you are an out of state certified LEO (to include a fed) defined as authority to make arrests and carry a firearm - look into getting your Florida CJSTC certification in advance....

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/CJSTC/Of...-Training.aspx

You apply with one of the training centers and do the paperwork. Come down for a couple of weeks of hi-li training and then take the CJSTC exam.

I did the process once in 1997 (at Gulf Coast in Panama City) and again in 2012 (at Pat Thomas Public Safety Inst) in order to get Florida CJSTC standards "current". Last time, IIRC it cost about a grand at Pat Thomas. Hi Li was weapons, driving, DT, first aid, cpr, etc.

Look at each agency before you decide. Some SOs are "at will" others are true civil service.

There are still a number of PDs who use municipal retirements (not contributing to social security). There is a catch 22 when retirement time comes as social security has a "windfall" provision where you can be forced to give up (I think it is 40%) of your social security if you are receiving a pension that was based upon not contributing to social security.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

There are lots of ins and outs. If you are focusing on a particular agency, PM me and I will see if I can answer your questions about it.
Old 19 April 2018, 05:29
Confirmed User

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 19 April 2018, 08:08
Administrator

Pasco County has a good program. Their OPS Officer is a retired SF Colonel and they just hired a former SEAL to be in charge of Maritime operations.

Our new posting rules