Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 31 May 2018, 20:59

Guard Enlisted SF to NG 18A

Haven't been able to find any good information about this both from searching on here and asking around at work. Has anyone here talked to someone who was enlisted SF and gone through the process of commissioning in the NG and going 18A? There seem to be varying opinions about how this would work and what portions of the SFQC would need to be re-attended.

V/r
Bushman
Old 31 May 2018, 22:06
Unemployed Stunt Double

I know several folks that did so, it’s not hard. Just have to find a place to chill out between commissioning and becoming eligible to apply for 18A. Commissioning can be a slow process in the Guard.

As far as what portions of the Q you’d have to attend, that changes every few years.
Old 31 May 2018, 23:17
In Vino Veritas

SWC changes with the wind. I went through the Q with a former 18B who went 18A. He had to do language (Group choice), MOS, and Sage.

As for commissioning in the NG I have no idea but good luck.
Old 1 June 2018, 00:45
Confirmed User

commissioning in the NG some states run there own OCS program or you can request active duty OCS.
Old 1 June 2018, 01:03
Unemployed Stunt Double

The CAANG used to do a year-long OCS program (one weekend a month). Probably also worth looking into if any states are still doing direct commissioning.
Old 1 June 2018, 14:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The CAANG used to do a year-long OCS program (one weekend a month). Probably also worth looking into if any states are still doing direct commissioning.
YES CAANG still does the OCS program also direct commissioning
Old 1 June 2018, 17:15
Administrator

Wildman, stay out of the SF area.
Old 1 June 2018, 17:24
Old and Broke

Could you go Warrant?
Old 1 June 2018, 17:34
Unemployed Stunt Double

He is already SF qual'd.

If he wants to get commissioned, that is easy, but it can be a somewhat drawn-out process, all on the NG side. From the USAJFKSWC side, it's simple, standards are standards, and there is no difference between NG and AD.

First step, apply for commissioning with the NG. Once commissioned, spend the required time serving somewhere, until eligible to apply for 18A. Many prior enlisted SF guys want to hang out at the SF units once they are commissioned, waiting until they are eligible to apply for 18A. There are upsides and downsides to that, but mostly downsides.
Old 1 June 2018, 20:21
Confirmed User

Why would you want to do that? 180A is a way better career path in the Guard than 18A. No time away from the community and way more time on a Team.

x/S
Old 1 June 2018, 23:42
Confirmed User

Smile

Never piss of Silverbullet
Old 1 June 2018, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I know several folks that did so, it’s not hard. Just have to find a place to chill out between commissioning and becoming eligible to apply for 18A. Commissioning can be a slow process in the Guard.

As far as what portions of the Q you’d have to attend, that changes every few years.
Thanks for the responses. Everything you have said is pretty much the general consensus. The whole process seems pretty unpredictable.
Old 2 June 2018, 00:11
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman23 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Everything you have said is pretty much the general consensus. The whole process seems pretty unpredictable.
The most unpredictable part is getting commissioned in the NG. Not all states do that the same way. Your best COA, IMO, is to identify where you want to live, state-wise. Then start researching how that state and the states within commuting distance conduct their commissioning process. Pick the easiest state to get commissioned in that is within commuting distance of where you want to live. You can always do an interstate transfer later.

We have a battalion CSM from 19th Group on here...he might be able to push you to a good POC in certain states, as 19th is spread across several states on both coasts and in between. I'll ping him to check this thread.
Old 2 June 2018, 16:41

That would be awesome. I think MD, WV, VA, and NC are all reasonable given that I am in the DC Metro area. I'll look into who has the easiest process.
Old 2 June 2018, 17:51
BTDT

Bushman,
I'm the guy that Gavin is talking about, but he's spot on with his advice.

My former 18E/F just went to OCS in CA and got commissioned as a MI officer. The OCS process I think took two years since he went the traditional route vs the AD route. I offered him a job as a MI Officer in my SF BN but factor in the expenses as a commuter, it was just too much for him.

So going SF vs serving in SF has both pros/cons based upon what's best for you and your family.
Old 3 June 2018, 06:27
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
Bushman,
I'm the guy that Gavin is talking about, but he's spot on with his advice.

My former 18E/F just went to OCS in CA and got commissioned as a MI officer. The OCS process I think took two years since he went the traditional route vs the AD route. I offered him a job as a MI Officer in my SF BN but factor in the expenses as a commuter, it was just too much for him.

So going SF vs serving in SF has both pros/cons based upon what's best for you and your family.
Tell him congrats. I thought he was done with the NG.
Old 3 June 2018, 06:29
In Vino Veritas

Is it possible to commission in the reserves? Then maybe your work has a reserve component you can hangout in until your eligible to apply as an 18A?
Old 3 June 2018, 09:18
The Sagacious One

Going to OCS and receiving a basic branch assignment may change your carer path totally. If you go MI, MI may not let you rebranch to SF.

Needs of the service and shit, at least that's what I read on the Internet.
Old 3 June 2018, 14:25
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Is it possible to commission in the reserves? Then maybe your work has a reserve component you can hangout in until your eligible to apply as an 18A?
Yes, it's possible but there's a highly likely hood that the reserves will frown upon a transfer to the guard which segue into's TFG post.

Think about how many Reserve Officers came to our tryouts vs NG Officers (regardless of branch).

I would highly recommend doing the guard vs the reserve route based upon the metrics of how many guard officers go SF or serve in SF units.
Old 3 June 2018, 15:37
Red Headed Stepchild

Way out of my lane, hopefully not too much of a derail: The ANG used to have their own OTS (called AMS), but it merged with AD OTS several years ago. As far I'm aware, the ANG has never had the option to run an OTS at the state level.

Just wondering if your state OCS program is like what ANG calls "secondary method" for aircrew schools - qual courses could be done at the home unit, but required a waiver from NGB and was only done if the individual could not attend the formal school due to lack of slots, or other extenuating circumstances. Similar?

Our new posting rules