SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 24 December 2015, 09:29
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
Hopefully work will pick up the tab since my wife would shoot me if I dropped almost 3 bills on shooting glasses.
Get over to Oakley SI (http://www.oakleysi.com/). They have huge discounts for active and all vets. They have the Tombstone in , M frame, Flak jackets, Flak 2.0, etc in Prizm. All are about 35% off of retail.
Old 24 December 2015, 10:47
RIP Cass and SOTB

Solid Intel JAFO, I'll hop on and order myself a few spares!! Thanks!
Old 1 January 2016, 09:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallidCivilian View Post
Do any of you guys own Randolph Engineering sunglasses? I've never owned any, but they claim to be handmade in the USA and have been a DoD contractor:
http://www.randolphusa.com/product-c...es/sunglasses/

I drop my sunglasses all the time, so for me, glass lenses are a must. Right now I have a pair of Serengetis the wife got me on sale from (I think) Sierra Trading Post. Also had good luck with Ray-Bans (made in Italy now, not USA) and Carerras.
As a result of this post I ended up buying a pair a Randolph 'Sportsman' sunglasses three years ago. Aside from regular daily wear they've survived two backpacking trips and and week long canoe trip last summer without breaking, bending or having a lens pop out. They're a really well built product.

I took them in to my regular eyeglass store to have the original lenses replaced with my prescription and the ladies there were surprised by several things: 1. They were actually made in the U.S. 2. They had real 23K gold plating (they didn't believe the stamping and had to see that on the website themselves), 3. The sweat bar was actually functional and not just decorative, and 4. How little I paid for them.

I actually bought mine through an Amazon seller. Now I see that I can just buy the frames without the lenses directly from Randolph so that would be my choice whenever it comes time to replace these. I've been a Ray Ban person since 1981, but they just didn't seem to hold up well anymore. Randolph is a far better and less expensive choice.
Old 26 January 2016, 22:42
33,024 - R.I.P.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Get over to Oakley SI (http://www.oakleysi.com/). They have huge discounts for active and all vets. They have the Tombstone in , M frame, Flak jackets, Flak 2.0, etc in Prizm. All are about 35% off of retail.
Quoting myself

Oakley SI has a SHOT Show discount (additional15% on top of the already 35% off retail) available for the next 30 days. Use code: SHOT2016 (case sensitive). Picked up a pair of Flak 2.0 Prizm.
Old 28 January 2016, 01:14
Confirmed User

Thanks for the heads up JAFO, got a smokin' deal!
Old 1 March 2016, 23:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
As a result of this post I ended up buying a pair a Randolph 'Sportsman' sunglasses three years ago. Aside from regular daily wear they've survived two backpacking trips and and week long canoe trip last summer without breaking, bending or having a lens pop out. They're a really well built product.

I took them in to my regular eyeglass store to have the original lenses replaced with my prescription and the ladies there were surprised by several things: 1. They were actually made in the U.S. 2. They had real 23K gold plating (they didn't believe the stamping and had to see that on the website themselves), 3. The sweat bar was actually functional and not just decorative, and 4. How little I paid for them.

I actually bought mine through an Amazon seller. Now I see that I can just buy the frames without the lenses directly from Randolph so that would be my choice whenever it comes time to replace these. I've been a Ray Ban person since 1981, but they just didn't seem to hold up well anymore. Randolph is a far better and less expensive choice.
I just received my Randolph Concorde Gun Metal Polarized sunglasses today. They are outstanding. Reminds me of the shades my Dad used to wear back in the day.

The feel and quality of these glasses is apparent the second you hold them. Such a stark contrast to all the other glasses out there. Very happy with these. Thanks for the tip.
Old 2 March 2016, 00:38
Confirmed User

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_...em_id=SN790914

I really enjoy these for sports. They sit firmly and are extremely light with great, crisp vision.
Old 2 March 2016, 07:36
All Star Benchwarmer

Last month, GovX was having a decent sale on Oakley's Straight Jacket SIs. I picked up a pair and really like them so far. It's hard going from the Half Jacket XLJs I've been wearing for 10 years that don't have a full frame to the SIs with a full frame.

Overall, very solid and I like them a lot. It's nice that I don't have scratches all over the lenses anymore.
Old 26 July 2017, 20:51
Confirmed User

Gonna resurrect this thread real quick. What are you guys wearing these days? My Oakleys finally gave up the ghost and I'm trying to replace them with a pair that will last another 3-4 years at least.

Looking for: Durable, ballistic, within regs but not "oh that guy is military", preferably not metal (had some Juliets in AFG and burnt the ever-loving hell out of my head after setting them on the hood of one of our Rangers), price. Seems everything is 150+ these days, would like to be below that (far below that)

Any ideas?
Old 27 July 2017, 02:08

Smith Aegis Echo for shooting, good contrast in the Ignitor color lense and I like low profile frame

Smith Director Elite for daily wear
Old 27 July 2017, 09:10
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=NoChai;1... "oh that guy is military"...

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Oakley's scream that. I have a pair for non-sport use but anywhere in the US, anyone in the know, knows that Oakley often equates military or LEO.

H
Old 27 July 2017, 14:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
Gonna resurrect this thread real quick. What are you guys wearing these days? My Oakleys finally gave up the ghost and I'm trying to replace them with a pair that will last another 3-4 years at least.

Looking for: Durable, ballistic, within regs but not "oh that guy is military", preferably not metal (had some Juliets in AFG and burnt the ever-loving hell out of my head after setting them on the hood of one of our Rangers), price. Seems everything is 150+ these days, would like to be below that (far below that)

Any ideas?
I wear either Arnett or gatorz. But the gatorz are metal.
Old 27 July 2017, 14:50
Confirmed User

These are pretty good..

https://www.rudyprojectusa[dot]com/
Old 27 July 2017, 16:46
Confirmed User

Thank you guys. Checking these all out now.

Hoepoe- As much as I love my Oakleys, I've come to realize that. So even when I see someone wearing those God-awful white framed ones, I suspect military.

Havok- I've seen the gatorz, like them and would buy them but every single SEAL and Recon guy I know wears them (save one, but he's an oddball). Still worth a look though.

Last edited by NoChai; 27 July 2017 at 16:47. Reason: Sometimes grammar sucks
Old 27 July 2017, 18:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Thank you guys. Checking these all out now.

Hoepoe- As much as I love my Oakleys, I've come to realize that. So even when I see someone wearing those God-awful white framed ones, I suspect military.

Havok- I've seen the gatorz, like them and would buy them but every single SEAL and Recon guy I know wears them (save one, but he's an oddball). Still worth a look though.
Yeah, from what I hear they are issued at at least some of the teams. However, outside of NSW, hardly anyone has ever even heard of them, much less own them.
Old 28 July 2017, 09:59

Quote:

Any ideas?
if you have an Oakley SI account, that should knock off some of the price for you. i'm partial to the Oakley Two-Face frames right now. durable and i can wear them at work or at home. i switch out the lenses and wear them at the range too.

i have a pair of Gatorz as well, but they get pretty hot sometimes. i usually only wear them in the fall months (or if i cant find my Oakleys)
Old 28 July 2017, 15:00
All Star Benchwarmer

I've made an Oakley change in the past few years. For 10+ years I had a pair of M-frames that survived 2 deployments (granted nothing really stressful). I decided to go different back in 2011 or so and grabbed a pair of flak jackets. I blew those up and went through three pairs in 3-4 years.

Then I found a cheap pair of straight jackets that I freaking' loved and bought in the spring of 2016.. I was at the beach with the family last week and a stray wave hit me from behind, knocking my beloved glasses onto the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, never to be seen again. I arise from the water cursing and pissing vinegar and watching my wife and daughter laugh at Daddy's stupidity.

So I went to the aforementioned Oakley SI and picked up a pair of Gascans for about $70 shipped. I've had them for two days and needless to say the verdict is still out on them. I'm hoping I can get some mileage out of these.
Old 28 July 2017, 16:22
Confirmed User

My Serengetti's fell apart, can't get the right screw, so I bought a pair of "Vintage Ray Ban Shooters with wire stems" from E Bay, Duh.
Probably fit a 4 yr old, pissed bought Ray Ban from their website, came via China.
However, they are the correct size and seem OK, keep them in the car for driving, sun gets low here at certain times of the year for those that have never been.
Safe
M
Old 15 February 2018, 17:09

I hope I'm not necro'ing a thread here, but I was wondering if anyone else has snagged up the WileyX Valor's, and the spare lenses.
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to drop the 20 bucks (or whatever deal GovX can get me) on the clear and mirrored lenses, for when I hit the range.
I use them for my every day sunglasses, and would love to be able to just pop those clear lenses in...but not if they're going to be shitty.

Topper

Our new posting rules