SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 3 May 2002, 16:03
Confirmed User

G shock

I'd go with a Casio G shock. I got mine (2 of them actually as I'm the lose and break things type of guy) from http://www.usawatches.com/ they had (have?) free priority mail shipping for orders over $75, and are very quick, I had mine on wednesday afternoon after ordering monday night (and believe me, the way my mail comes that's a minor miracle!!) The one i got is this one: http://www.usawatches.com/dw6600c1av.html and I've been very pleased with it for the last few months, well worth 40 beans IMHO. Will give a followup report on it in 5 years or so =-D HTH!
-bill

Last edited by murphquake; 3 May 2002 at 16:10.
Old 6 May 2002, 22:25
Confirmed User

Thanks

Appreciate all the info.

Hoats
Old 6 May 2002, 22:34
Confirmed User

As far as watches for running, Timex Ironman is a great watch. There are several different models, but most perform great. I'd like to try out the new one with a small gps that attaches on your arm and will tell you how far and what pace you've run. I'm a running geek, so that stuff sounds cool to me.
Old 7 May 2002, 06:58
Authorized Personnel

I've had a Swiss Army watch for about ten years, and the only thing that I've done is replace the batteries, and the watchband several times. It takes abuse very well, (underwater, smacking concrete, etc). It's all scuffed up, but still keeps perfect time. I can't remember what I paid for it, it's been so long...
Old 7 May 2002, 10:41
Authorized Personnel

Casio G-shock

I bought a Casio G-shock when I was over in Bahrain back in 88. Never replaced the battery and it took a licking and kept ticking. Donít know how many times I replaced the wristband.
Just recently threw it away because the plastic around the face started peeling off, but it was still going strong.
CTA Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 8 May 2002, 01:34
Tactical Conductor

what watch?

My suggestion is any watch that will get your ass to formation on time. Tell your DI you need to "simonize" with his watch.

Invictus Infectus Non Invertabus Pu
Old 12 May 2002, 03:56
Halo_06
Visitor

My timepiece is a Casio G-Shock Illuminator. Been using it now close to 8 years, 3rd one. The first 2 would have lasted longer if I remembered to change the waterproof band when I was having the battery replaced...Learned my lesson the hard way. :)

Nice, simple, cheap, goes with anything and best of all, I can beat the shit outta it and it still keeps on ticking. :)
Old 16 May 2002, 15:50

anyone have any experience with those big-ass suunto altimeter-barometer etc watches that i keep seeing down at the px?

oh and btw-
when i went to bct, i took exactly what was on the list and nothing more, and i regretted it. you won't be able to get at anything in your personal bag until you graduate, you might wish you had an extra change of clothes or a book or something to keep you busy if you're a holdover. it was a long time before i got to get my stuff from home. just don't go overboard.

Last edited by Chairborne; 16 May 2002 at 15:57.
Old 16 May 2002, 16:02
Confirmed User

Thumbs up Casio G-Shocks All The Way

I own 2 Casio G-Shocks the first one I purchased back in 95, and I have not even replaced the battery yet, it's still accurate and has been to the field with me on countless ops. It's the best I've used and it takes a beating, being dropped, hitting weapons stocks, trees, the muddy Northern Training Area in Okinawa, being submerged in water and mud, you name it. This watch is not very expensive either.
Old 16 May 2002, 23:42
Banned User

Mine

If, Like me, you have a small penis and are not very good in bed, Then you need something to really impress the ladies.

I got me one of these...

Looks really cool and makes all the girls think your really 'high speed' and therefore want to sleep with you. ... until you get them into bed, then they know you've just got a nice watch.

I gotta work on that...

Zero, Can get 'em but cant keep 'em.

Anyway, Heres an url http://www.equipped.com/casio_gps.htm

Last edited by zeroalpha; 16 May 2002 at 23:46.
Old 17 May 2002, 03:41
jpi
Visitor

That GPS watch is great when trying to find your way home from the bar... :D
Old 17 May 2002, 05:07
Confirmed User

zeroalpha cracks me up

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!! it taste a funny in the mouth (let the iron chef humor begin)
-bill
Old 17 May 2002, 17:38
Ragnar Danneskjold

Re: Any Watch Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoats
I am leaving for BCT in August and need to get a watch.

Would anyone suggest just buying one to make it through basic or would it be best to purchase on for the long haul.

Any suggestions?

I have seen the supposide SEAL watches for sale, but is there one that the SF or Ranger guys perfer?
-Where might you go about purchasing one of these, if there is one?

Thanks

Hoats
Dude,
Your local Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target/ETC, sells a simple Timex for about $10.00. Since Every watch I ever wore to the woods got lost, broken, or otherwise seriously fucked up, my recommendation is go for the Wally World Timex special. Like PotatoHead said...Your compass is for land Nav, not your watch, and the indiglo digital thing lets you read the time at 0-shit it's fuckin'-dark-thirty, so you can wake your buddies ass up to take watch so you can go to sleep. (Of course, don't do what I did as a private once, and get woken up for about two miniutes before you doze off, and wake up startled, glance at the watch and think "Oh Shit, I fell asleep for a whole hour!" And wake your Tabbed E-4 Team leader up, only to have him bitch you out, cause really your ass only dozed for about 60 seconds.)

Seriously though, just spend the ten bucks....If you get to your Unit later, you can look around at what all the high speed guys are wearing and emulate them. If you really want a good one, here's another story/recommendation.
There was an E-5 in C Co 1/75 in 95 that was a bit of a computer geek, and had a high speed Casio with the barometer/altimeter, etc and shit on it. Went knees in the breeze, and the fucking watch flew off his arm. He wrote Casio and told them the story, so they replaced the $100 watch for free.
Old 17 May 2002, 18:29
Confirmed User

I've got a Casio G-shock, works great, durable,waterproof, keeps good time, and didn't cost me an arm&leg! Also b/c of what I paid for it, if it ever gets lost, run over, stepped on, or just plain goes to shit..no big deal, I'll just buy a new one, it's not a ROLEX, or OMEGA after all!!
BillP
Old 17 May 2002, 19:13
Administrator

Still have my very first G-Shock which I bought in jump school at the PX in 1986. Changed the batteries in it once, about ten years later. It has been around the world with me, surviving everything from the Panamanian jungles where jungle fatigues literally rotted off your body as the cotton decomposed to Ranger school to the oh-so-freindly college fraternity football games to long-distance sailboat races (coutdown timer was especially handy here). Best $59 I ever spent. Still have it somewhere....the plastic wristband is decomposing, but the timepiece works like a champ, still.

There's a lot to be said for a good, tough, cheap watch....many of them already mentioned.

...now that the cashflow is more positive, I wear a stainless Rolex Submariner perpetual with date. Best watch you can buy, IMO; it's rated to 300 meters and looks classy in a suit as well as on the weekends, and doesn't set you back ten grand like some of the jeweled Rolexes, which are gaudy. If you are into high-end watches and have a few grand to spend, I'd look at the Rolexes, Brietling's aviator line, or Omega's Speedmaster line.

That being said, you do not want a high-end watch in the feild. Not tactical, and too much of a chance something could go wrong(!)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 17 May 2002, 19:34
Confirmed User

For the field a Casio G-shock, for the civy world a stainless OMEGA SEAMASTER w/ blue face/bezel; looks great&blends well w/ formal-casual clothing (hey after all 007 can't be wrong! :D
Old 19 May 2002, 17:06
Authorized Personnel

Rolex Submariner

Wish I had the Submariner. Had to settle for a Wenger Grenadier instead. I told my wife with the amount of trinkets and babbles I buy her, she can buy me the Submariner and then I'll consider us even.:D

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 19 May 2003, 21:44

Casio G shock. I love it! You wont be sorry.
Old 20 May 2003, 10:27
Confirmed User

I had a Seiko diver with mineral crystal that never scratched never cracked and was terrific until stolen. I've had G-shocks since an illuminator now but I like the dual time watch better, set for zulu and local. Get a cheap watch for BCT/AIT if it's stolen you won't care. Get a real watch later.

Went for a look on ebay they have G-Shocks as low as $29 and this one at a buy now price of $60 and it's a pretty good one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31387

Last edited by tryxter; 22 May 2003 at 00:02.
Old 18 February 2005, 23:16
Been There Done That

Watch Madness

After using G-Shocks since the 80's I am ready to upgrade. Been looking at the more feature driven watches with altimeters and compass built in, specifically the Sunnto Vector, Casio Pathfinder, and Highgear Axis. I'm most leaning towrds the Highgear for its looks and smaller size and would like to hear any input from owners of these damn devices. Nike has one out that clims zero barometric drift, I can't figure out how any device using pressure sensitivity will not altitude drift with changing weather, how the hell does it know if your moving vertically or not, maybe you tell it somehow?

Our new posting rules