SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 17 March 2018, 22:29
Another pool cleaner

I was waiting for LP to post.
Old 16 April 2018, 17:03
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I studied Southern Praying Mantis (aka Chuka or Chugar) for awhile, I've heard there are similarities between that and Wing Chun.
Old 18 April 2018, 07:01
Been There Done That

Yes there is. Out of all the Chinese styles, Praying Mantis and Wing Chun are the most similar. Chi Sau sticky hands, many movements,wooden dummy training, etc...

Just be very cautious of female practitioners of Praying Mantis though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 April 2018, 07:21
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Crazy assed nonsense
What in the Hell?

Can't we just take both of these losers and leave them on a island or something? S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 18 April 2018, 17:02
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Yes there is. Out of all the Chinese styles, Praying Mantis and Wing Chun are the most similar. Chi Sau sticky hands, many movements,wooden dummy training, etc...
Check out the very end of the Christian Bale movie Equillibrium sometime, definitely some elements of sticky hands and counters.

Does Wing Chun practice what we called Dan Tin, basically controlling your air in order to concentrate both energy when striking and as measure to absorb strikes? Difficult to master, but I recall when I finally found it one evening, it was like a balloon expanding within my midsection. A little scary, actually. A friend of mine who worked at it for awhile actually suffered a hernia when he attempted during training, hard as that is to believe.

I read a coffee table book once title The Way of the Warrior: Martial Arts and Fighting Styles from around the world. As you might expect, most of the ink is devoted to the more well known styles, but they did give Southern Praying Mantis a couple of paragraphs.

Starts out by calling it a "brutally effective fighting system with no aesthetic value".

Basically, it works but it ain't pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
What in the Hell?

Can't we just take both of these losers and leave them on a island or something? S/F...Ken M
You have much to learn, Grasshopper.

Last edited by Spinner; 18 April 2018 at 17:18.
Old 19 April 2018, 05:06
Been There Done That

Only thing similiar is I do show students breathing techniques to relax themselves while doing the forms, and some basic Qi Gong breathing/stretching exercises. And we do some traditional medicine ball training. The problem with some of these metaphysical techniques is they maybe work/ look good on paper, or even in a drill, but in a real fight when things are dynamic, happen rapidly, one does not have the time to prepare.

Breathing drills related to inner chi flow are more used as pre or post workout relaxation techinques or applied to the forms for stress reduction.

What makes one good in Wing Chun, is the continued repetitive application of the basic simple movements. Footwork, forms/techniques, and aggression.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Our new posting rules