SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 October 2009, 06:05
The Sagacious One

Green Acres is the Place to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne69 View Post
I live in the city, but if things start to go bad I have a relative that lives in a more rural area where we can stay.

Others are worse off than I am.
This is my point, your reason for going to the country is a good one. Those worse off than you will go to the country seeking the care and sustenance to which they have been lead to believe they are entitled.

"Layne, where are you going? Can we go too? We have no food or water... You cannot leave us here like this Man come on what the fuck? Take us with you..."
Old 11 October 2009, 06:22
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
"Layne, where are you going? Can we go too? We have no food or water... You cannot leave us here like this Man come on what the fuck? Take us with you..."

Makes enough sense. As my plan is to head to a friend's farm in the event of any disaster, I feel it's my "job," to contribute. In my case, it's more of a joint effort, centered on his property. Having been raised in the middle of nowhere Mississippi, I know a bit about farms, and regularly work on his farm, as well as contributing supplies and such, in the event of any emergency. It's a plan between the 2 of us for our families to fall back to the farm...so I don't think I'd get shot...I still understand the point being made though.

As far as people wanting to tag along...well...I guess we could always shoot and eat 'em if it gets bad enough...

While true:
Continue
Old 11 October 2009, 07:58
Been There Done That

RGR Manges- if you haven't thought about it, buy a cargo trailer to carry all your gear and fuel; the jeep will pull it easily. You can only get so much into a jeep...

FWIW, I grew up with a grandfather that thought it was very important for his first born grandchild to learn to plow with a mule, the original 1 horsepower garden tiller . They are great for other things we use gas powered items for- dragging logs, transportation, etc...

I plan to build a new house further out from Clarksville and one of my new 'hobbies' will be gardening using a mule. i already have a garden but not big enough to actually can veggies from; that will change when I have 10 acres with no neighbors within 5 acres of me an cleared fields of fire.
Old 11 October 2009, 08:48
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsquid View Post
Makes enough sense. As my plan is to head to a friend's farm in the event of any disaster, I feel it's my "job," to contribute. In my case, it's more of a joint effort, centered on his property. Having been raised in the middle of nowhere Mississippi, I know a bit about farms, and regularly work on his farm, as well as contributing supplies and such, in the event of any emergency. It's a plan between the 2 of us for our families to fall back to the farm...so I don't think I'd get shot...I still understand the point being made though.

As far as people wanting to tag along...well...I guess we could always shoot and eat 'em if it gets bad enough...
Thats the key - cooperation and contribution of small groups. There IS safety in numbers... and if its like Kirk described it will get dangerous. People who weren't prepared for emergencies much less disasters will become pretty desperate. Unfortunately you cant help everyone or YOU wont have enough. I would play it by ear, but if alot of people started coming down the highway past my house and started coming up.. I'd be fencing off the front 2 acres (I have the fencing in the back) and putting up signs warning trespassers. I'd stay in contact via radio with my neighbors to make sure they were ok and provide help if they needed it.

People live in the cities for any number of reasons.. thats where they were born and dont want to leave or need to leave, jobs, love interests, other interests. None of that will mean anything when the shit hits the fan. I wonder how long it is before people start emigrating out? Maybe an initial surge of people (with sense) leave quickly.. others wait - on the government then leave when they really get hungry... then those that wont/cant leave and we end up with a Katrina scenario but no help arriving. Those living in the city couldnt possibly prepare to the extent that we who live in rural areas can... unless you got buckets of money to do a "I am Legend" thing at your house and stock up massively... not a likely thing. Life with humans for thousands of years existed as small, rural farming clusters... it would probably go back to that. I would expect a very large number of people to die from starvation within the first 30 days. With no distribution of food to stores they would be cleaned out in no time. I saw what happened to our stores when the hurricanes hit Southwest Florida in Charlotte and Sarasota Counties back in 2004. Entire isles were stripped bare even with emergency restocking. The early bird gets the worm, or in this case - FOOD. A day before landfall there was STILL alot of stuff available... no lines at gas stations either. But the last 8 hours were unbelievable... people hit the stores then... so many didnt prepare EVEN when they saw destruction coming. In the doomsday scenario you have ONE CHANCE to get what you'll need.. make it count.

My neighbor Mike has 15 acres of very good crop planting ground in the field in front of my house (beside his). Charlie, on the hill across from us already has 3 acres that he plants. It would take more than they could do to sucessfully plant that size area with corn and other food stuffs. It would take everyone in the 3 families to work it together or it would fail... no gas for a tractor so it would be by horse and plow. Again.. safety and provision in small numbers.. and you dont draw attention to yourself as much as a huge group of people either.

Whew.. I sure as hell wouldnt look forward to something like that... but I feel pretty good about my preparedness at this point. What I need now is the luxury items to make things go easier. How about a small windmill to generate electricity? All you need is an alternator fitted with vanes up on a telephone pole ...and a shitload of batteries. Even though the Alternator generates AC, the rectifier bridge in the Alternator converts it to DC internally. I have small electric converters to power a refrigerator or other items.

Good topic Kirk, makes me think of more things I can/would/should/Ought to do.
Old 11 October 2009, 09:14
Been There Done That

Did I mention that there is a Wal Mart distro warehouse nearby?

Prime target
Old 11 October 2009, 09:19
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
Good topic Kirk, makes me think of more things I can/would/should/ought to do.
Thanks. Appreciated.

Gents (and Ladies) I'm keeping a close eye on this as I'm hip deep in the subject right now. And even though it's very general and I've intentional left it 'non-Disaster specific', your assumptions have been spot on (as in, basically, no one is coming to help you). Regardless of what the disaster is, you have nothing besides what you currently have at hand and you (and your family) on your own.

It's good to see some of the SOCNET regulars are prepared and have prepared their friends and family, but I still think we're the very rare exception. Please keep the feedback coming guys.

And please don’t forget to comment on the four original questions as well as answer the poll.

Also, it would be good to see more of the non-Alpha male, non MIL/LEO types (in all sincerity) replying as well.I'm talking high school aged teenagers, college students, single moms, soccer moms, retirees, city folk, metro-sexual types, lawyers, hairdressers, accountants, recent immigrants, small business owners, executives, cab drivers, hair dressers, plumbers....whatever.

No slight intended towards anyone, I'm sincerely interested. If you're registered, you should reply. If you're not registred and reading this, please follow the rules, fill out your profile, post and intro, and then reply.

Biggest disaster imaginable happens, all legal, utility, hygiene, social, governmental, medical, law enforcement and military suppliues/protection/services disappear and no one is coming to help you for 3-18 months. How prepared are you, your family and friends from all walks of life?
So, if you're a lurker and wanted to add a response but feel out of place, please don't. Everyone's opinion and input is valid...and will be respected.

But again, everyone, please keep it coming. Great stuff so far.
<o>
</o>

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 20 March 2012 at 13:25.
Old 11 October 2009, 09:48
Authorized Personnel

This blog by someone that went through Katrina should be relevant to this discussion...

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/bl...ons/index.html
Old 11 October 2009, 11:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
RGR Manges- if you haven't thought about it, buy a cargo trailer to carry all your gear and fuel; the jeep will pull it easily. You can only get so much into a jeep...
Damn good Idea....I have the bumper hitch rack, but it limits entry exit angles for ditches

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 11 October 2009, 12:51
As Above So Below

I'm pretty well set logistically. Since I'm living near a lake water to cook with is not a problem. I'm a camper from waaaayyy back. So, I can haul water for that.

I guess heating the water up would even make it okay to bath in...but I need some way to make fire..(cavenman ugh/grunt)..I'm not real good at rubbing sticks together.

As you say, the first thing that will be looted are all the grills. But, even with a grill you have to get fire started. In an apt, that will not be all that easy. During the events of 2000 when eveyone was scared of a meltdown, I had planned to take the grill out of my oven and cook over an open pit. Probably still the best idea. But, that means I should buy a shovel.

I would say I'm not prepared, but I know how to get prepared. That should pretty easy since it will only be my daughter and I. I live within walking/biking distance of work, so as soon as they could open their doors, I would be good. And, I have cash in the bank to pull through a fairly extended period. Depending on the time of year, we would camp if we had too but I can't see apt evicting us when they are not getting paid to come to work. I don't have enough warm weather gear to get us through camping in the winter. I'm not sure the investment is necessary tho. They do have some very comfortable and easy to manage gear out there now. My problem is storage.
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 11 October 2009, 13:09
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
I have cash in the bank to pull through a fairly extended period.
A couple of people have mentioned cash.

Should one of the scenarios occur that would cause people to need to go for extended periods on their own?

Cash will probably be worth only it's value as a firestarter.
Old 11 October 2009, 13:28
Lannister
Visitor

With no electricity... ATMs won't work... and the banking system will likely have collapsed...
Old 11 October 2009, 14:23
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Manges View Post
.....but it limits entry exit angles for ditches
That's exactly the kind of thing Joe Public doesn't think about. Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
With no electricity... ATMs won't work... and the banking system will likely have collapsed...
Yup, All Social Services are gone. That includes currency exchange, credit transfers, basically all commerce (physical, telephonic or internet based). No elctricity for ATMs, no AT&T for telephone banking and not internet for online banking. Currency would indeed be a good firestarter. I'm sure early on some fools would loot banks, rip ATM's out of walls, etc....but if the tellers and security are smart they'll just let them go.

Apologies if that as unclear.

Last edited by Ranger1; 11 October 2009 at 14:35.
Old 11 October 2009, 14:51
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
A couple of people have mentioned cash.

Should one of the scenarios occur that would cause people to need to go for extended periods on their own?

Cash will probably be worth only it's value as a firestarter.
Well that's cool, then other skills become valuable to barter. What skills do people think they have that they could trade for other necessities? I have enough material on hand to mend tents, make or remake clothes by hand, knit blankets - mend knitted blanets. What can you do?
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 11 October 2009, 15:07
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
Well that's cool, then other skills become valuable to barter. What skills do people think they have that they could trade for other necessities? I have enough material on hand to mend tents, make or remake clothes by hand, knit blankets - mend knitted blanets. What can you do?
Thats exactly the kind of stuff you need to think about IMHO. Very creative. I like it.

To answer your question (as you're making a good effort), I can hunt, dry, cure, skin, cook, can/jar, shoot, navigate by nature, EMT level first aid, hotwire and fix most a pre 90's cars, have excellent rope skills (going up and down) and have some good solid military level survival skills of all sorts. But sew? I'm all thumbs. You'd have me there. And all I have right now as far as 'run away' gear is a ruck full of hiking gear with a GPS, all the Goretex I could eat, snivel gear, spare pair of boots, Maglite, Leatherman, Bear Crossbow (Demon) and a first aid kit. Usually have a (maybe) a weeks worth of canned and dried stuff in the cupboards. So I'm personally not well sorted at all. But better than 99% of the folks in England I can guarantee.

But lets try to stick to the basic questions. How well are you and yours sorted for 3-18 months on your own right now?

Last edited by Ranger1; 11 October 2009 at 15:26.
Old 11 October 2009, 15:57
Marking time for eternity

Another Canadian Perspective

I'll take a crack at this:

1.What you voted for in the poll.

Less than 1%

2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like.

Let me preface this by saying 3 things:
First, I assume that any and every disaster will be instantly upon me. I never presume that a warning or grace period for stock piling will take place.

Second, I am flat broke having come out of 5 years of post-secondary education and I live in an apartment. Storage and finance are tight, but me and my (soon-to-be) wife are working very hard to rectify the shortcomings.

Third, I am on the fire service and also with a volunteer medical first response team. In the event of many disasters, I am going to have to decide when my duty to my community/country ends and when my duty to my wife must supersede it. I am not yet sure how that decision will be made, but I suppose each situation will be different.

Enough food and water is stockpiled in the apartment to last for 2 weeks. Plans to increase this to 3 months and expand our storage capability inside the apartment are in the works. However, chances are good that any major disaster of an extended period will likely necessitate evacuation of our primary residence, so emphasis is not placed on being able to stay put. As such, mobility is key.

Primary vehicle is a small car, however a 1990 Jeep XJ is currently undergoing retrofit as fast as funds allow to turn it into the apocalypse-mobile. No vehicle is ever put away at the end of a day with less than half a tank of fuel. Again, I never assume that I’ll have time to stock up on anything.

I have a series of cooperation agreements with three separate friends, all with different locations. I have the option of travelling 20 minutes to a friend’s location. He lives on a fish farm with a self-sustaining population of trout that could support several families with proper husbandry. This obviously is vulnerable to environmental factors, including flooded waterways introducing contaminants.

In the event that I need to evacuate from the city and get right the hell outta dodge, I have a friend with a trapline and cabin 10 hours north. The primary obstacle to this being a traffic bottleneck at the half-way point. I occasionally view maps and satellite photos of alternate routes to ensure that some new passage is always available to me. In the event that roads become impassable, a canoe strapped to the top of the jeep will ensure I can paddle a series of waterways almost to the trailhead of the cabin and trap line.

In the very unlikely event that I need to evacuate south, towards the US border, I have a friend with a well provisioned urban residence whom I may attend at.

What I have to offer: basic EMT skills and a shit load of medical supplies, centred mostly on trauma care. As well, a variety of useful books on the subjects of health care, treatment, and remedies. When the internet goes down, books will be worth their weight in gold if they have the right content. If there are books you possess only for that emergency purpose, vacuum seal them to protect them during evacuation until needed.

Also, military skill at any level will be greatly in demand. Even only having conventional warfare skills (read: high drag, low speed) this makes me valuable to the people with whom I have cooperation agreements.

What I need to get: Rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Plus a hell of a lot of ammo to go with them.

I’ve got my share of experience in the bush, and constantly seek opportunities to increase my capabilities. My wife, although new to the game of preparedness, is going at it whole-heartedly. She is presently learning to spin wool, weave, can and preserve, cook/bake/etc. anything she can think of, small animal husbandry, is constantly pestering me to get a firearm so she can start learning, and is constantly practicing her driving skills. She accompanies me on as many outdoor trips as she can to increase her skill level, and is an able canoe and kayaker.

We have plans, and back-up plans, and we are adapting. We would like to buy a farm and have a stay-put option, maybe within the next 3 years. The farm would include an external wood-boiler system with a windmill and battery bank to power the heating system and provide some auxiliary power for necessities like refrigeration during disaster. During normal operations it just helps keep the bills down, and is only an extra $30 000 on the mortgage (no biggie, right?).

I could ramble for hours, but will offer 2 final thoughts:

One, I would say that we are of a moderate preparedness level. Working to improve that. Frankly, I think the most important aspect is the mindset, the rest can be secured, so we are half way there.

Lastly, our brainstorming sessions have produced this list of possible reasons for evacuating major centres. These are specific to our geography. Some are spontaneous, others more gradual. Thought I would throw it out there as food for thought, since the cause of the disaster obviously has much to do with the response, especially for those of us stuck in urban or semi-urban areas.

-spontaneous social collapse
-epidemic/pandemic scenario
-prolonged blackout
-famine or supply shortage/interruption to major urban centres
-drought or lack of potable water to major urban centres
-nuclear attack or emergency (ie. Meltdown)
-biological attack or emergency
-chemical attack or emergency
-sustained terror /insurgent campaign
-oppressive or tyrannical government; illegal government in power
-conventional attack from the north, east, south, and/or west
-extraterrestrial contact (perceived or real) or religious hysteria
-planetary impact (dynamic effects plus climatic/atmospheric disruptions)
-natural disaster, possibly with extended effects; to include: earthquake, wildfire, hurricane, winter storm, flood, or tornado

3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic;

Personally, I think it's complete bollocks. Some people I spoke with tended to put the number closer to 20%, betting on the hearty Canadian spirit and the inherent abilities of a rural population. The majority re-thought their answers when reminded that the majority of our population resides in major urban centres.

4.The number of people you asked (ask as many as you like).

I spoke with 8 people.
Old 11 October 2009, 16:43
Lannister
Visitor

Interesting choices in disaster food here...
Old 11 October 2009, 17:04
Confirmed User

I live in LA. What worries me is what what will be the immediate need to gtfo in the event of any major disaster affecting the area, which will be stifled and compounded by the bottlenecks created by the mountains on 2 sides, and ocean on the third. A boat would be great, but I don't have the funds or the skills. An additional worry for me is my job: my work location varies, and though I may not be far from home as the crow flies, it would be a very long way if there was a mass exodus. Getting to my family would be difficult.

I really wish we lived in the mountains of colorado or oregon.
Old 11 October 2009, 17:06
Administrator

As I once told someone else......I have an M4 and plenty of ammo. Everything else I need I will take. The strong will survive, one way or another.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 11 October 2009, 18:00
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
Interesting choices in disaster food here...
Good selection selection, although priced a bit high. I think you can buy the civilian version of MRE's all over. Walmart has them in sporting goods. For $3,700 you could get quite a few MRE's. Figure if the MRE was $5.00 each (they're less), you could get about 750 MRE's.. but probably more for the same money. Throw in $200.00 for Flour, Rice, Sugar and Beans for backup.... not bad.
Old 11 October 2009, 18:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
As I once told someone else......I have an M4 and plenty of ammo. Everything else I need I will take. The strong will survive, one way or another.
I'm surprised that this wasn't mentioned before. I'm sure that a lot of us have got to be thinking the same way, good or bad.

Our new posting rules