SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 2 May 2014, 08:03
Confirmed User

AT SOlutions and RFI Questions?

Gents,

A friend of mine is looking at leaving law enforcement and stepping into the contracting industry. This company AT Solutions offered him the oppertunity for two positions.

He has a solid Military background (I can PM details) and is looking to accept either a training position or a GOPLAT security team member position (both positions were floated to him). He wanted me to reach out and ask my little circle of friends who have done this type of work (I never have) some questions about this type of contracting.

Problem is I don't have any friends that have been in his situation. Specifically prior law enforcement who have gone this route and the best way to make an exit and potentially keep his foot in the law enforcement door if things don't work out. I was hoping the SOCNET community could shed some light on this for him as it's a pretty varried group of both prior SOF and LE. as such he saddled me with a few questions to ask:

Is AT Solutions good to go? Most of their background is in IED/VBIED pre-deployment and SME refresher stuff. Firearms training and security is one of their advertised services, but doesnt seem to be their focus and he's concerned that the GOPLAT gig may not be the company's main focus.

Is the Training or GOPLAT position more sustainable in the long-term? He assumes training but having never been in the industry, he's not 100% sure.

For prior LE, was it considered a conflict of interest (at least at your agency) to both contract and drop down to reserve/auxiliary status? He's worried about loosing years on his pension if he breaks time with his agency.

Has anyone worked a GOPLAT contract? It was explained to him it would be a 6 month contract but beyond that not much more info. Are there any no/no-go questions or concerns that are commonly raised before signing on?

I know these seem pretty broad and far-reaching, but really just needs to pick someone's brain as to how this all works and to decided if it's for him. He would do it himself, but his LE agency is pretty vindictive when they find out an officer is thinking about taking their ball and going to play somewhere else (they're a smaller department and are scared of any employment attrition)

Any help or advice would be appreciated. If you'df like to talk to him or if you're good with him talking to you, please PM me and I can put you in touch.

As always, thanks for any guidance or direction.

V/r

GT556
Old 2 May 2014, 08:49
Looking for work...

I have a good friend that has worked with them for over a year on the training side, he has nothing but good things to say. They invest in their instructors allowing them to attend other courses. About 3 months ago he was at a very large and widely recognized FA facility getting some instructor development time.

I believe there are plenty of threads on here that would talk your friend about the pros and cons of the leaving his LE job (or any other job) to take on the unknown world of "contracting".
Old 2 May 2014, 08:52
Über Equus Asinus

I know a couple of senior managers/directors over at AT Solutions.. and they work with us as a subcontractor on one of my company's larger IDIQ awards. They are a legitimate organization.. professional, capable, etc..

Their focus is largely in the IED realm right now.. but that doesnt mean GOPLAT is a bad option... its the world of contracting.. the hardest thing to do is land the first contract in a particular service area or field.. once you win work in an area... follow on work is a whole lot easier to land....
Old 2 May 2014, 09:51
EOD Mod

The guy that started AT is a retired EOD Master Chief. He has since left the company to go do other things, however the organization is outstanding. I have primarily dealt with their EOD training/trainers, however I have not seen a lot of individuals leave the company. Knowing what I do know about them, I cannot see them putting less than full effort into anything they take on.
Old 2 May 2014, 09:59
The Sagacious One

I would recommend that you share the site with your friend, have him join and benefit from the entire site and not just your opinion of what is posted here.

Membership has its rewards.
Old 2 May 2014, 11:02
Confirmed User

TFG,

Check. He was just apprehensive to join at first because he didn't want to out himself asking the questions while being with his agency (they blackballed someone for applying for an out of state agency and tanked the guy on the inter-agency phone interview and marginalized him by changing his shift). He has every intention of joining soon.

V/r

GT556
Old 2 May 2014, 11:31
On the Extract Bird

Good company.
Old 2 May 2014, 12:13
BTDT

Smaller LE agencies seem to hose their guys more often then the big ones. In our area, the general rule of thumb is that officers can take up to one year of unpaid leave for a leave of absence not losing any dept seniority provided that their dept/city HR approves it.

I know of one cop in my agency who does short term contracting by using up his vacation, and comp time to bypass the un paid leave of absence.

I myself signed up to take a gig a few years ago when a buddy of mine was trying to get a bunch of SF guys for a short term contract. My plan was to use my vacation time and comptime but that contract fell through.

Agencies with reserve programs is night and day in regards to dept seniority. In our dept, with reserves (we have about 100 of them) assignments for reserves are based upon availabity of the officer so there's no need for "reserve officer seniority".
Old 2 May 2014, 15:25
Confirmed User

Dont have any personal experience with contracting. I have seen alot of my peers go into contracting from a LE background. The only ones who seem content are those who were able to retire prior to contracting. Those who left without a pension have differing success rates on re-hire with the old dept or finding a new LE gig.

The general consensus among most agencies/departments where I know someone in the upper management ranks (which only means I'm old and my peer group has promoted) is that anyone who wants to leave the department, wants to leave period. That translates into an open spot which needs to be filled.

The advice I give to guys looking to leave, is you want to leave for better opportunities,etc, you need to leave if a better gig is open. If you're looking to leave to test the water, be careful because you might not be able to return.

Domestic LE jobs are more competitive now than I have ever seen in 27years. All due to the amount of well qualified vets who tremendous experience, maturity, skill set etc.

A few agencies have a one year option for an extended leave of absence.
Old 2 May 2014, 15:34
Confirmed User

Thanks for the insight! He tells me he has a 1 year leave option but because he's recently qualified SWAT he'll more than likely not keep his slot and have to requal after another slot becomes open (apparently if you drop SWAT you can't get your old slot back, you have to wait for another whether your old slot is open or not). I'm actually going to put him in touch with a SOCNETer with some specific insight to this situation.

Once again thanks for your experience and knowledge gents. He'll be registering fairly soon. As TFG put it "Membership has it's privileges" and he needs to take it from here.

V/r

GT556
Old 2 May 2014, 18:37
BTDT

Since he's a recently qualified SWAT Officer that means that he hasn't completed probation which is usually one year long. Which means that leaving for contracting is not a valid excuse and he could lose his position and have to retest again.

A better way may be to wait until he's finished with SWAT probation to solidify his job assignment and then inquire about a short term leave of absence.
Old 2 May 2014, 19:29
Confirmed User

18C4V,

Thought of that, but his agency treats all SWAT the same. Probationary period only exists to wash out people who pass training but don't perform operationally. Even if he drops SWAT after probation, they drop his departmental qualification and he has to start over from scratch. His state qual would be G2G, but his agency would make him retread. They're such a small agency this is actually the first time in a while they've been able to stand-up a full team in a while. They used to have to kick certain SWAT calls over to another agency on provisional jurisdiction.

Last edited by GreenTip556; 2 May 2014 at 19:31. Reason: Grammar counts...sorta

Our new posting rules