SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 1 February 2019, 14:51
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

The hybrid Gun Case- Ballistic vest by Point Blank/PACA- put these out a few years ago.

The case could hold a 16 barreled AR, or an SBR by zipping off 1/3 of the case end, and holding the upper and lower inside each side of 2/3rd of the vest next to the ballistic panels.

not sure if theyre still made, but I am hoping to find one on ebay again. Last one went for $99 only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04276E36-92B7-4487-B6F5-C83A568C1D7D.jpg (15.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 1 February 2019, 14:56
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
511 has a new line of bags (Shocking, right?) to include an M4 and AR pistol/SBR bag.
Too bad those all look like rifle bags trying to not look like rifle bags.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 1 February 2019, 15:28
Aww F**K it

Here are some good low vis options.
https://greyghostgear.com/collection...nt=38221025095

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 1 February 2019, 18:25
Administrator

Or use a tennis racket bag or soft guitar bag. Cheaper and more effective unless you're interested in attracting attention.
Old 2 February 2019, 02:05
The Sagacious One

I don't really plan on carting it around, just something to keep it in my car with along with a set or armor.
Old 2 February 2019, 10:10
Administrator

That's my point. Why put it in something expensive and quasi tactical?
Old 2 February 2019, 10:16
The Sagacious One

Its what I have. I think I posted an amazon add for a tennis racket case earlier in this thread. It wasn't cheap either. I have a tool cut out area under the carpet in the back. I would like to eventually lock it in there. I tried a soft guitar bag, but the pistol is so much shorter than the bag, most of the neck portion sags. So I guess the question is do you carry a bag that people with tactical or tacticool knowledge know that you may or may not have a weapon, or a 60 year old man carrying a tennis racket.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 2 February 2019 at 10:36.
Old 2 February 2019, 13:30

Both, IMHO, are very much in the same realm as an MP5K or shotgun without a stock. Limited in terms of application.

But some folks like 'em and that's okay.

If I had my druthers and was interested to the point of spending the cash I'd opt for the AK simply because I favor the weapon system and round.
Old 2 February 2019, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
... or soft guitar bag. Cheaper and more effective unless you're interested in attracting attention.
But then there's all those invitations to join hippie drum circles.

(Shudder.)
DaveP
Old 2 February 2019, 16:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Its what I have. I think I posted an amazon add for a tennis racket case earlier in this thread. It wasn't cheap either. I have a tool cut out area under the carpet in the back. I would like to eventually lock it in there. I tried a soft guitar bag, but the pistol is so much shorter than the bag, most of the neck portion sags. So I guess the question is do you carry a bag that people with tactical or tacticool knowledge know that you may or may not have a weapon, or a 60 year old man carrying a tennis racket.
They were just examples. Goodwill can be you friend. You dress in a manner and carry bags that could lead someone to think you're armed anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.
Old 4 February 2019, 06:20
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura no hana View Post
Both, IMHO, are very much in the same realm as an MP5K...
62gr Federal Fusion MSR has been fired into calibrated ballistic gelatin and been found to reliably expand and penetrate to the the current FBI minimum of 12" - down to ~1700fps. Using this data, a calibrated block was placed at 300 yards and shot from a 10.3" barrel (current SOCOM Mk18 length) with a measured MV of 2500fps. The recovered round expanded to 0.384" or 9.7536mm while penetrating 12". The round is also "Barrier Blind".

Since 1700fps is the threshold, this would equate to 200 yards for a 7.5" AR barrel with an estimated MV of 2200fps for that round.

Modern .223/5.56 ammo manufacturing techniques have made it very useful for shorter barrels now - it no longer needs 3200fps out of a 20". We know the Mil dumped pistol caliber carbines and went with the M4 platform long ago.

I can find data on 9mm at pistol engagement ranges all day long, but couldn't locate any 200-300 yard calibrated gelatin data. But just from a "being able to hit the target" standpoint - the pistol rounds can only go so fast, and the BCs are horrible: around 0.15 for the HST vs 0.31 for the Fusion MSR - see the below chart for comparison.

With a 50 yard zero for both (2.5" Height Above Bore for a Red Dot), At 200 yards you can essentially hold POA/POI for the Fusion (-5.8" drop) vs almost a 45" drop for a Federal 124gr HST 9mm. Sure, the MP5 Series barrels range from 4.5" to 8.9", but even the 8.9" only adds ~150fps. At 200, the Fusion is hitting at 1715fps, the HST at 873fps.

Hey I get it - it's "guns" - whose going to agree I just don't want people to discount AR pistols based on less than current knowledge on just what modern ammo can do. For Joe Average, 200yards for self defense, in the US, is a loooooooong (justafiable?) shot. Up close, maybe it's a wash, no idea, but the Mil went 5.56. But if you ever need that long shot...
Attached Images
File Type: png Fusion MSR vs HST.png (15.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 4 February 2019, 06:24
BTDT

More data:
Old 4 February 2019, 18:45
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
They were just examples. Goodwill can be you friend. You dress in a manner and carry bags that could lead someone to think you're armed anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.
I do make a fashion statement. I am also not convinced that because you carry a sponge bob bookbag that you won't be targeted.

Our new posting rules