SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 26 June 2018, 16:29
Divides by zero

EMT Basic Course Recommendations

IíM looking for a reputable EMT Basic course that is online, or mostly online. I know there are quite a few out there but I donít know where to start.

FYI, this is geared towards becoming a FireFighter. I have completed a basic course years ago (10)but was never state registered.

Thanks fellas
Old 26 June 2018, 16:50
Anesthetized User

I strongly recommend against doing this entry level and foundation course online. You will learn so much more sitting in a semester class at a college.

I always shake my head when people already know they only want an EMT cert so they can go do something else.

Many of us have dedicated our lives, blood, sweat and tears to the EMS profession.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 26 June 2018, 16:53
Confirmed User

I would look at JTM Training Group out in Las Vegas. They have a long affiliation with the .MIL and .GOV folks for medical training.

They recently became an arm of North American Rescue but the website is still active under www.jtmtraining.com but has the NARescue Training banner added.

I have done some recert and advanced training stuff with them and was satisfied with the instructor cadre and curriculums.

Edit to add to the comment just above mine. My understanding is that you only get the didactic online and still have to do skills and clinicals either in your area or out at their facilities. I am assuming you can't just get an EMT cert online these days. It's been a LOOOONGGGG time since I went through Basic EMT.
Old 26 June 2018, 22:43
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
I strongly recommend against doing this entry level and foundation course online. You will learn so much more sitting in a semester class at a college.

I always shake my head when people already know they only want an EMT cert so they can go do something else.

Many of us have dedicated our lives, blood, sweat and tears to the EMS profession.
Yes. Noted. I would rather do the traditional semesters. Itís just that life will not allow that currently.

My intent is to get a basic EMT cert. Which is required for firefighting in my area. I would consider a firefighting career an EMS profession and Paramedic will come later. Maybe I wasnít clear.
Old 27 June 2018, 05:24
Been There Done That

You have to do ride a longs on an ambulance, so I would look at something in your area to make this easier, not just what can be easily signed up for online.
Old 27 June 2018, 09:04
Fan ar an gcosŠn

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Y...so I would look at something in your area to make this easier...
100%. Check your state's office of EMS for courses. Online is good for courses where you don't have to get used to feeling, listening, etc. It's worth your time to take an in person course as it will make you a stronger EMT in real life, not just for the exam. Having solid BLS skills saves more lives than sexy ALS work so it pays to invest in your base early. If you really want a career in Fire-EMS you will put in the time up front.
Old 27 June 2018, 10:24
Confirmed User

EMT Basic Course Recommendations

I certainly agree with all of the other posts here. Here is a place in my area that does online training.

https://alliedmedtraining.com/
Old 27 June 2018, 11:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
100%. Check your state's office of EMS for courses. Online is good for courses where you don't have to get used to feeling, listening, etc. It's worth your time to take an in person course as it will make you a stronger EMT in real life, not just for the exam. Having solid BLS skills saves more lives than sexy ALS work so it pays to invest in your base early. If you really want a career in Fire-EMS you will put in the time up front.
Most states have an online training calendar with all sorts of courses; ours is for the entire calendar year and updated pretty regularly.

But yeah, do it for-reals, butt in a seat, not online.
Old 28 June 2018, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Most states have an online training calendar with all sorts of courses; ours is for the entire calendar year and updated pretty regularly.

But yeah, do it for-reals, butt in a seat, not online.
I'm signing up for the JTM, but mainly because I work overseas so it's my only way of getting this done. When I come home I'll be doing my clinical stuff with the volunteer agency I'll be on with. The way my rotations are set up, I would never be able to take the course otherwise.
Old 28 June 2018, 17:42
Been There Done That

Dude, practicing secondary surveys on anything other that hot college babes sucks!
Old 1 July 2018, 00:09

What does the Fire Department suggest or offer that you intend to join? The state department of health and hospitals EMS division should be able to direct you also. This sounds like you will use this as a stepping stone, however, put something into it and get some class time which will be a much better learning environment.
Old 3 July 2018, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
As far as Iím concerned, medics donít make enough money for what they do.

A vast majority of the runs in the fire service these days are EMS based. Thatís Just a reality. I can remember when I was told during my interview process that becoming an EMT within a year was mandatory. I can honestly say that I wasnít very thrilled at the idea. Today, many fire departments wonít even consider you unless youíre currently a paramedic.

Iím glad I became an EMT as part of my job as a firefighter. Itís very rewarding.

Good luck!
Old 3 July 2018, 18:09
Been There Done That

I’m in the camp that only became an EMT because I had to for the fire dept. I respect the hell out of people who enjoy EMS, but it’s just not my thing. I understand why we do it, and I see a lot of value in us doing it, but its just not my thing.
Old 3 July 2018, 20:13
BTDT

If you can't do a semester course could you pull off a three week intensive? There are several options for EMT-B that run 9-5 for 3 weeks.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 4 July 2018, 11:50
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Iím in the camp that only became an EMT because I had to for the fire dept. I respect the hell out of people who enjoy EMS, but itís just not my thing. I understand why we do it, and I see a lot of value in us doing it, but its just not my thing.
It always ok to say that something is not for you. Some people are not honest with themselves as you have been.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 9 August 2018, 02:51
Been There Done That

NAR Training (formerly JTM) in Las Vegas offers a good online course. They will schedule your ride-a-longs in Las Vegas for the weekend before/after your skills testing. New classes start on the first of every month.

If you're interested call 888.374.7808; Option 1 and speak with Janet. She'll fill you in on all of the details.
Old 23 September 2018, 22:19

I did the EMT course when it was still JTM. It was great to go at my own pace while working crazy hours at work. I did my ride along locally, then flew out for the hands on. The staff there is awesome.

Our new posting rules