SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 26 August 2018, 19:07
Confirmed User

Plantar Fasciitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggmedic View Post
Just curious, did they check your uric acid levels to rule out the 'Grout' (gout)? This could also cause heel pain. Just something to consider...
No, they did not.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:22
Been There Done That

Three spurs in my right, one in my left. Army Ortho got me inserts, specific to my needs. I use them occasionally in less well built/supportive shoes.

Zero drop, wide toebox shoes are great and what I primarily wear. My Asolo hikers and Dancers work without the inserts too. Merril Trail Floves, NB Minumus 10v3s (not real durable, the Merrill’s are much better built.), Lems Boulder Boots are all good for me. Haven’t tried Altras yet, but they’re on the list.

Little to no heals on anything, dress shoes can be ok if it’s a good last. Even roper heals on cowboy boots hurt my feet. Standard heels are right out. That’s without my inserts, haven’t tried em. Ariat work boots were ok with the inserts.

Solomon trail runners so far are bad on my feet, and the shoes are too small to put my inserts in.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by KW Driver; 26 August 2018 at 19:30.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:36

Search online for an ankle brace. Itís the only thing that ever worked for me.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:56
Anesthetized User

So far what I have read in this thread says that no heal of any form works best.

That makes sense as the foot is TOTALLY flat as opposed to heal raised and toes, ball of foot on the ground.

This leaves the foot flat and as stretched as it can be in an anatomical correct position.

No really, homeostasis is best.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 27 August 2018, 07:34
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
While possible, I have not seen Uric Acid effect the heal and mid foot.

But, I guess have some labs drawn and see what is what.

If your Uric Acid is high, talk to your Doc. about Allopurinol.

The above is my clinical experience. This is not meant to lessen Hoggmedic's work.
My gout impacts the worst in my midfoot, as well as elbows, knees, etc.

Allopurinol is Poison, IMHO. Ask the doc for Uloric instead.
Old 27 August 2018, 07:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My gout impacts the worst in my midfoot, as well as elbows, knees, etc.

Allopurinol is Poison, IMHO. Ask the doc for Uloric instead.

Quit eating all that potted meat. It's got peckers in it.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 August 2018, 01:04
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Had it at the start of the year....got rid of it 4-5 months later.

Saw a podiatrist. Tried "shock therapy" - (Thousands of air blasts directly onto the most sensitive areas). Rehab exercises.

Also researched, researched, and researched some more. Watched a video by Jeff Cavalier, about "flat feet" which I've had my whole life. He recommended a simple-as-fuck rehab exercise.

Drum roll.....

Stand on one foot - the affected foot.

That's it.

Now am pain-free, and it's not like the "exercise" requirement is hard to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BFeod_JMk
Old 29 August 2018, 07:50
Been There Done That

My son is 6 ft 3 in and 285 lbs of man. Recently diagnosed with gout. He's a big beer drinker which doesn't help. I call him gimp now. And yes I can still whoop his ass.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 August 2018, 11:09
Been There Done That

I never thought to connect gout. My dad’s on profalactic meds for it (he’s also not, and has never been a hard man). When mine flairs up, and it’s not often, it’s in the ball of my foot/big toe joint of one or the other, never both and never anywhere else. And never so bad I can’t walk completely. I readjust my diet immediately, and it’s gone in a couple days at most.

Bad gout I’d never wish on anyone. I imagine in a bad case it’d feel like kidney stones look.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 29 August 2018, 12:19
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
I imagine in a bad case it’d feel like kidney stones look.
Had a gout flare-up in my knee one time to where I couldn't even bend the thing. Have gout, have had 20+ stone episodes since '92. Been able to pass all but one on my own. Been on allopurinol since the early 90s. I'm now down to 100mg. I've learned my trigger foods and stay away from them, but it's a weird combination of foods. I quit drinking back then too, so that helped a bit.

Turns out too that if gout is diagnosed while on active duty, it's a service-connected condition.
Old 29 August 2018, 14:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
And yes I can still whoop his ass.
Yeah...Ok.
Old 29 August 2018, 16:07
Casual Observer

I went to a chiropractor that had something called a pressure wave machine. Pounds on your tendons that are tight. Works greats. Only thing that has help my plantar besides the stretch boot.
Old 29 August 2018, 18:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
My son is 6 ft 3 in and 285 lbs of man. Recently diagnosed with gout. He's a big beer drinker which doesn't help. I call him gimp now. And yes I can still whoop his ass.
Only because heís a gimp.
Old 30 August 2018, 14:12
Confirmed User

I've had chronic and very painful Plantar Fasciitis for 5 years. I couldn't run and sometimes could not walk very far. This has been tough as I am a lifelong runner. I have stretched - nope. I have done PT - nope. Had needles stuck into my calf to release the muscles - nope. Cortisone shots - nope. Rolling on hard rubber peanuts - nope. Very frustrating.

Finally, I tried extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) and 6 weeks later the Plantar Fasciitis is gone. I've got insoles in all my shoes and I'm doing much better. I'm not running out of fear of it returning but I can walk and hike and I'll settle for that.
Old 30 August 2018, 14:25
Darwin Award Presenter

A bag of frozen peas or corn (something small) immerse your feet in the bag wiggling toes, etc, can give temporary relief, but good idea to have uric acid levels checked as well

Our new posting rules