SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 May 2020, 15:23
Drawing my cutlass

Effing Tom Cruise

First he gets to do more HALO jumps than a lot of BTDTs here. Now this.

But if it inspires kids to pursue STEM careers, Godspeed Maverick.

Link.

Quote:
Tom Cruise teaming with NASA to film a movie aboard the International Space Station

Actor Tom Cruise reportedly wants to film a movie aboard the International Space Station.

As “Maverick” in the film “Top Gun,” actor Tom Cruise famously said he had “the need — the need for speed.”

Now he’s going to get it.

NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine confirmed Tuesday that the space agency is working with Cruise to film a movie aboard the International Space Station, which whizzes around in Earth orbit at 17,500 mph.

In a tweet, Bridenstine wrote that “NASA is excited to work with @TomCruise on a film aboard the @Space_Station! We need popular media to inspire a new generation of engineers and scientists to make @NASA’s ambitious plans a reality.”

“If we can get Tom Cruise to inspire elementary kids to join the Navy and be a pilot, why can’t we get Tom Cruise to inspire the next Elon Musk?” Bridenstein said Wednesday. “That’s what we need, a new generation of many Elon Musks, and that’s what this launch is about today.”

Added Musk of a Cruise flick filmed in space: “I’d watch that movie.”

A NASA spokesman declined to comment further.

The announcement comes as NASA is working to open up the orbiting laboratory to more commercial interests, and as SpaceX is on the cusp of flying NASA astronauts there from United States soil for the first time since the space shuttle was retired in 2011.

Last year, Bridenstine said the space agency would change its policy prohibiting paying tourists to fly to the space station. Over the years, Russia flew several private citizens there, who reportedly paid millions of dollars for the experience.

Under NASA’s plan, paying customers could fly to the station and stay for up to 30 days at a cost of $35,000 a day.

SpaceX and Boeing, the companies working to develop spacecraft capable of flying crews to the station, have been encouraged to fly private citizens as well. Neither has said how much they would charge for the rides, but estimates have ranged as high as $50 million.

Earlier this year, SpaceX announced it would fly three space tourists to the International Space Station for Axiom Space, a company vying to build a commercial space station.

Bridenstine has pushed to commercialize low Earth orbit, creating more economic interests in space. He has floated the idea of shooting advertisements on the space station and even selling naming rights to rockets and spacecraft the way professional sports stadiums do.

He’s tirelessly pushed to raise NASA’s profile in popular culture, trying to relax rules of astronauts appearing in commercials, for example.

“I’d like to see kids growing up, instead of maybe wanting to be like a professional sports star, I’d like to see them grow up wanting to be a NASA astronaut, or a NASA scientist,” he said in 2018. “I’d like to see, maybe one day, NASA astronauts on the cover of a cereal box, embedded into the American culture.”

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 27 May 2020, 15:33
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Under NASA’s plan, paying customers could fly to the station and stay for up to 30 days at a cost of $35,000 a day.
If I had that kind of cheddar, I would pony up immediately.
Old 27 May 2020, 23:15
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Maybe from up there he can get in touch with Xenu.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 29 May 2020, 18:13
Been There Done That

Love him / hate him...he is a stand up dude. When the "Church" of scientology posted up all their peeps in the Ice Cream man uniforms outside local businesses here in Clearwater because the city wouldn't sell them any more downtown property - businesses went under and lost money to the tune of more than 36 million dollars.

Cruise heard about it after coming off set, came BACK to clearwater (where he "occupies" the top two floors of a certain hotel on Clearwater Beach) - and restored those businesses OUT OF POCKET the full 36 million, then had a presser stating that the Church of Scientology was inappropriate in intimidating the public over it's business ventures and that it would not happen again. Nice that it hasn't happened since.

Gained a lot of respect for him when that happened - and businesses re-opened.
Old 30 May 2020, 14:06
Drawing my cutlass

My respect for him went up significantly after reading your post. BZ, Mr. Cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Love him / hate him...he is a stand up dude. When the "Church" of scientology posted up all their peeps in the Ice Cream man uniforms outside local businesses here in Clearwater because the city wouldn't sell them any more downtown property - businesses went under and lost money to the tune of more than 36 million dollars.

Cruise heard about it after coming off set, came BACK to clearwater (where he "occupies" the top two floors of a certain hotel on Clearwater Beach) - and restored those businesses OUT OF POCKET the full 36 million, then had a presser stating that the Church of Scientology was inappropriate in intimidating the public over it's business ventures and that it would not happen again. Nice that it hasn't happened since.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 30 May 2020, 16:13
Been There Done That

Most of the movies he is in are pretty darn good.
Old 15 June 2020, 00:21
Confirmed User

I like his movies and the training and effort he puts into them, with doing his own stunts, but I see him dying sooner than later, from the risks he takes.
Old 15 June 2020, 06:33
A/1/75

I read an article on the new Top Gun that is coming out where he actually learned to fly an F-18 to do the scenes with no CGI.

Charlie
Old 16 June 2020, 21:34
True Origin Not Known

WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
I read an article on the new Top Gun that is coming out where he actually learned to fly an F-18 to do the scenes with no CGI.
History teaches us that pilots are immediately in short supply when the flag goes up. If he has that much training, give him a reserve commission and send him up!

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 16 June 2020, 23:35
0311/8651

2 seater F-18
Old 17 June 2020, 14:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
I did not see anything where he actually flew one or got qualified in it. His flights were in the backseat of an F model. They did go to great length to make it look like he was flying.

Here's a good behind the scenes look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHt1IbuYgJo&vl=en
Old 17 June 2020, 14:26
A/1/75

My fault, I read the article again and while he was in F-18's, it was the backseat. He did fly the P51 though.

Charlie
Old 17 June 2020, 18:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
My respect for him went up significantly after reading your post. BZ, Mr. Cruise.
Same. I've been around those circles, and while I had 0 interaction with him, I had enough with the church. Weirdos. He has lots of negative press, so it's nice to hear it's not all true.
Old 18 June 2020, 05:10
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Same. I've been around those circles, and while I had 0 interaction with him, I had enough with the church. Weirdos. He has lots of negative press, so it's nice to hear it's not all true.
Yea, Remini did a good series - Clinton caved on granting them status (wonder if they were shut down recently?). Good to hear about TC doing that, as long as the motivations were pure.

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Old 18 June 2020, 19:06
Been There Done That

Quote:

From what I understand and I may be wrong. He’s in the top tier there. I reckon he can just run amok with little spill back from the church.

Nice thing for the community though.
Old 22 June 2020, 16:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
From what I understand and I may be wrong. He’s in the top tier there.
He is (literally) #2, Travolta is #3
Old 22 June 2020, 17:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
He is (literally) #2, Travolta is #3
I remember when the other residents in the Spruce Creek Fly In used to complain when Travolta flew his jet back in at 3AM from Clearwater. So much so that he sold his house if I recall correctly.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 22 June 2020, 17:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
I remember when the other residents in the Spruce Creek Fly In used to complain when Travolta flew his jet back in at 3AM from Clearwater. So much so that he sold his house if I recall correctly.
What did he do differently than other air traffic? Push in the clutch and rev it up over the residential area? Living near an airport comes with the expectation of having a higher surrounding noise level.
Old 23 June 2020, 07:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
What did he do differently than other air traffic? Push in the clutch and rev it up over the residential area?
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.....gives a whole new meaning to air brakes.
Old 23 June 2020, 14:54
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
What did he do differently than other air traffic? Push in the clutch and rev it up over the residential area? Living near an airport comes with the expectation of having a higher surrounding noise level.
Except that the residents of that little community are a bunch of dicks.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Our new posting rules