Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 17 July 2016, 20:22
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
Never been in Law Enforcement . But just a suggestion . If a guy / gal is unarmed Tase the fuck out of them and keep doing it until they are compliant instead of filling them with .40 cal lead.
I'm not trying to be a dick here. But I believe this thread is for experienced officers to give advice to new officers, not for advice from people who have never worked in law enforcement.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 17 July 2016, 22:54

Expatmedic said: "... especially inmates do not under any circumstances accept or give them anything. You will always wonder when IA might come see you. You might get trapped into always doing favors that are outside the scope of your duties and established policy and procedures."

Pay close attention to this! I was involved in at least a half-dozen cases where DOC officers were manipulated by state inmates and ended up inside themselves after being used as mules for dope and other contraband.

The same applies to street cops and/or detectives who do a "favor" for a crook. Cross the line once and they own you and will use you! There are ways to use crooks for information sources, etc. but always document the contact. CYA!
Old 17 July 2016, 23:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick here. But I believe this thread is for experienced officers to give advice to new officers, not for advice from people who have never worked in law enforcement.
OK... I'll stay in my lane. But I see the same shit going down over & over on TV. It doesn't reflect well on YOUR profession . Cops have a tough job no doubt . Shooting unarmed folks doesn't help anyone.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 July 2016, 23:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
OK... I'll stay in my lane. But I see the same shit going down over & over on TV. It doesn't reflect well on YOUR profession . Cops have a tough job no doubt . Shooting unarmed folks doesn't help anyone.
What you see on TV is only what they won't to show you, after it has been edited several times.

I will give you an example four individuals each standing on a different counters of the street. There is a car accident. Each individual will have a different view of what happened. The same thing happens when you see a NEWS REPORT on TV.

You will not know the truth until all the investigation is complete an that takes time.
Old 18 July 2016, 08:13
Been There Done That

Agreed

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 18 July 2016, 08:23
Administrator

If you're not a current or former LEO, stay out of this thread please unless you are discussing a point made in another post.
Old 19 July 2016, 19:46
Social Claymore

Forget it

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO

Last edited by Whitebean54; 19 July 2016 at 19:47. Reason: Post made in anger
Old 26 January 2017, 15:58

Update-

Less than 30 days from graduation. Still find myself referring back to this thread- thanks all
Old 26 January 2017, 18:55
Confirmed User

If you have unassigned fleet cars, do not take the car that someone obviously left the windows rolled down on.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:33
Authorized Personnel

As I have posted in this thread before, you need to have the purity of the desire to help people first and foremost. The next priority is that your reputation is easy to lose and can be negatively portrayed by the less than professional in your department. Do not let those people change your desire to help people or your work ethic towards the community and your career. Your reputation is not made in one night shift but it can be damaged in one.

I was once told that the officers on the shift I supervised always had comfort in that when I arrived on their scene I was there to help them and I would help them solve the problem at hand. Sometimes it was with guidance, other times with going hands on along side them. I liked the fact that they knew I was not there to second guess them but to help them. I regularly provided out of the box solutions that helped them broaden their mindset for the future.

How can you new guys apply this - think outside the box on day one, listen to the advice of your supervisors and apply it to the future (if it is good advice.)
Old 28 January 2017, 04:38
BTDT

It's a marathon not a sprint. Change assignments to avoid burn outs. When you stand before the Platoon Commander/Watch Commander for fucking up, be honest and accept responsiblity for your actions.
Old 28 January 2017, 07:56
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Show up, kick ass, go home.

If you're good, they'll keep paying you after you leave; you'll die early anyway.
Old 28 February 2017, 02:01
Confirmed User

2-Cents from retired dinosaur.

Be humble, don't come in on a tall horse, come in on a pony. Watch the booze and don't lie. Besides that, just earn your pay check and be professional. Oh, and the grass is rarely greener (The cages are all the same. Only the squirrels change). I know these things because at one time or another I violated them all. :-)
Old 2 March 2017, 00:19
Clorox bearer for SOTB

If you see something wrong, do something about it. Regardless of who is doing the wrong. That includes your fellow officers. I was never afraid to stop someone from using force I deemed excessive, or doing something that violated a Constitutional freedom. Treat people with dignity and respect until other treatment is warranted. Do not tolerate corruption in any form. As a LEO, YOU are responsible for knowing the laws, rules, regulations, and above all, rights. Remember you have no right to do anything, but you have the authority to do what you must to enforce. Treat everyone equally, regardless of their class, color, creed, or condition. Respect, however, is a two way street. It is not your job to be an ass kisser, or a shit taker. Know your authority, where it comes from, and how to apply it appropriately. The people place in you an enormous amount of trust and faith. Do nothing that will violate that trust. Be an example to others, on how to be a professional police officer. Never lie. Don't be afraid to tell people what you think of them, especially co-workers, positive and negative. Constructive criticism works, destructive criticism does not.

...and finally, remember you are first and foremost a citizen, like those you police. You live in a glass house, so live by example. People's rights come first, always. Get called in front of a grand jury for a civil rights complaint and you will know why... I was a witness in a few, never complained against. Keep the faith, and stay safe.

As far as the taser comment... Sometimes tasers don't work. Use of force, even deadly force, can be legally used against a person that does not hold a weapon in their hands. Sometimes, "filling them full of lead" is a viable option. (That was just to answer your question Riser.) People are capable of killing an officer with their bare hands... it happens. So, an officer must make the determination of when to use deadly force, and every determination will be Monday morning quarterbacked by every lawyer in sight, as well as every media outlet on the planet. Don't always believe what you see on the "news". They steer your thinking to believe what they want you to believe, just like they did with fake news, and interjecting their "opinions" into news stories. We no longer have an unbiased news media. They are completely agenda and ratings driven. It is fashionable to hate cops now, so they will steer public thinking in that direction. You are being manipulated.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 2 March 2017, 00:30
Violent Social Worker

Talk talk talk until it's time to act, then act decisively.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 7 March 2017, 14:14

Well folks I made it through, got the badge. Now its time for the real learning.

I'll be hitting the road soon. Thanks for the wisdom, I'll continue to check back here for review.
Old 7 March 2017, 14:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg4139 View Post
Well folks I made it through, got the badge. Now its time for the real learning.

I'll be hitting the road soon. Thanks for the wisdom, I'll continue to check back here for review.
Very good! Stay safe out there!

Our new posting rules