Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 8 August 2017, 07:46
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb Cop Draws out Gun for a Traffic Stop

Whether he was wrong or right...don't talk shit and turn the music off!

I've gotten out more tickets by not talking until spoken to....

I've also said some smart-ass shit that got me into cuffs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=FntqumzeJsY

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 8 August 2017, 12:19

Gunpoint?

I wasn't there... but I have been in many situations like this in my 22 years as an LEO. I'm not sure that standing there with your gun drawn for 9 minutes on the passenger is the right move.

What ever happened to telling everyone to sit tight, then walking back to the patrol car to a position of cover and waiting for back up?

Back to my lane....
Old 8 August 2017, 15:30
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarone212 View Post
I'm not sure that standing there with your gun drawn for 9 minutes on the passenger is the right move.... What ever happened to telling everyone to sit tight, then walking back to the patrol car to a position of cover and waiting for back up?

Back to my lane....
This is what I would do. That officer didn't appear to have any reason to draw his weapon for 10 minutes. The driver's hands were visible and even though he was running his mouth, he was fairly calm. So I can't say who was right or wrong, however, the officer didn't seem to go with the smartest of options on this traffic stop.
Old 8 August 2017, 22:45
Animal Tamer

It would be nice to know if there was more to this than just a traffic stop. Were it just a traffic stop the officer could/should have deescalated quickly with a little logical verbal interaction with the occupants. Were it more than a traffic stop, i.e.an identified fugitive, drug stop, etc., the officer should have rapidly controlled the situation and secured the occupants. Weak skill set either way with an "F" for failure to act.
Old 8 August 2017, 23:24
Confirmed User

Looks like a motor officer, I've never been one but I imagine he doesn't consider his bike to be cover. I bet there is a 50/50 chance he knew how long his back up was.

He perceived a threat from the passenger reaching under the seat. He drew his gun and had the advantage. By leaving the car he would loose visual and that advantage. It may be worth it at times to break contact, not sure about this one.

https://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...-traffic-stop/
Old 8 August 2017, 23:35

I thought the girl was interesting, paraphrased, "Why draw your gun on him, can't you just tazer him."
Old 9 August 2017, 08:38
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I thought the girl was interesting, paraphrased, "Why draw your gun on him, can't you just tazer him."
He should've told her too STFU! Agitating a person pointing a weapon is NOT that' bright IMHO.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 9 August 2017, 09:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34RX View Post
Looks like a motor officer, I've never been one but I imagine he doesn't consider his bike to be cover. I bet there is a 50/50 chance he knew how long his back up was.

He perceived a threat from the passenger reaching under the seat. He drew his gun and had the advantage. By leaving the car he would loose visual and that advantage. It may be worth it at times to break contact, not sure about this one.
Beat me to it. The video looks bad, but the back story has plausibility to it. I guess he could have ordered the guy out of the car, but anything puts the single officer at a disadvantage - if there was a gun, then the other person would have access, etc, etc.

Another article I read stated that the passenger apologized and pretty much no-harm, no foul...but I'm less inclined to believe that since the video showed up.
Old 9 August 2017, 09:59
Confirmed User

The most logical and safe advice during a traffic stop.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=65zXlytv01c
Old 9 August 2017, 12:12
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
The most logical and safe advice during a traffic stop.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=65zXlytv01c
Lots of truth to that.

I didn't watch the video because these bore me. Blanket statement, if someone is reaching out of sight and being argumentative I think I'll just go ahead and keep my gun out.

https://youtu.be/k7W_Comhdsg
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 9 August 2017, 20:54
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
It would be nice to know if there was more to this than just a traffic stop.
Good point. There could have been more to it. Warrants, possibly stolen vehicle etc.
Old 9 August 2017, 21:11
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Lots of truth to that.

I didn't watch the video because these bore me. Blanket statement, if someone is reaching out of sight and being argumentative I think I'll just go ahead and keep my gun out.

https://youtu.be/k7W_Comhdsg
Sure seems like those fellows were mighty reasonable with that highly suspicious character.
Old 10 August 2017, 00:14
Confirmed User

Subject stated that he was reaching for paper's on the car an there was a screw driver on the floor where he was starting to put his hands. Had to back up the tape just to make sure I heard it right. IT was a California Law Officer by the patch on his shoulder. Dropping all the car info to the floor an then reaching for it WHAT else was not in site.
Old 14 August 2017, 01:50
Confirmed User

It's Campbell, CA PD.

Our new posting rules