SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 September 2017, 22:28
Confirmed User

Waco

I was hoping someone would do a miniseries on the subject of the branch dividians but sadly Clinton pal Harvey Weinstein is producing so I expect the truth to be white washed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcruuokFXsE
Old 26 January 2018, 23:02
Confirmed User

I remember watching all of this go down on live tv.

I watched the first episode and found it to be well done. They cover Ruby Ridge and it doesn’t paint the feds in a favorable light. The show is based on books from one of the survivors and the FBI hostage negotiator so we get both sides of the story. Koresh had some crazy beliefs and it has always amazed me how people get sucked into these cults and believe that bullshit.

This airs Wednesday nights on Paramount, which used to be Spike.
Old 1 February 2018, 00:04
Confirmed User

Just finished the second epislde. Is it just me or does the show seem to portray Koresh in a mostly positive manner?
Old 1 February 2018, 10:52
Confirmed User

Maybe they’re just showing his charm and why people followed him. These people are messed up to let him fuck their wives while they remain celibate.

It is definitely portraying the ATF as a bunch of morons. I wonder if they really wanted to film this raid as some kind of publicity stunt to make up for Ruby Ridge. As that agent said, the best thing would have been to snatch him when he went on his morning run. I was at DLI when this went down and there were SF guys in my class. They told me an SF unit trained the ATF for this raid and advised them not to do it. I found an article from 1995 confirming that they had given them assistance.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-07-21/news/1995202105_1_davidian-compound-law-enforcement-raid

Quote:
Federal agents legally acquired military assistance for their 1993 raid on the Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas, a panel of Army officials told a congressional hearing investigating the botched assault.
Quote:
The bureau needed to show the alleged drug activity at the Davidian compound to receive some of the military aid, specifically help from a special forces unit. Federal authorities have since acknowledged that no evidence of drug activity was found there.
Old 1 February 2018, 11:06
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
It is definitely portraying the ATF as a bunch of morons.
Indeed
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 1 February 2018, 11:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Maybe they’re just showing his charm and why people followed him. These people are messed up to let him fuck their wives while they remain celibate.

It is definitely portraying the ATF as a bunch of morons. I wonder if they really wanted to film this raid as some kind of publicity stunt to make up for Ruby Ridge. As that agent said, the best thing would have been to snatch him when he went on his morning run. I was at DLI when this went down and there were SF guys in my class. They told me an SF unit trained the ATF for this raid and advised them not to do it. I found an article from 1995 confirming that they had given them assistance.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-07-21/news/1995202105_1_davidian-compound-law-enforcement-raid
The ATF (or DOJ itself) lied to get the armored vehicles from the military as well. They seemed to do a good job of pissing off the military providing the assistance.
Old 1 February 2018, 16:37
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The raid was designed from the start to be a headline grabbing case, and it totally backfired on them. What's amazing is that they knew they'd lost the element of surprise but decided to go ahead with it anyway.

Like a lot of things in life, sometimes an event gathers so much momentum that nobody wants to put the brakes on it. Like a sunk cost, they had so much invested, they wanted to get a return no matter what.
Old 1 February 2018, 16:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The raid was designed from the start to be a headline grabbing case, and it totally backfired on them.
Well......technically.....they succeeded in that regard.
Old 1 February 2018, 17:07

It certainly did.

It was a tragedy certainly, the way it ended, but I have to admit that it was one of the most bizarre events I've ever watched play out on national TV. You knew things were going to end badly when they started loudly broadcasting the sound of rabbits being slaughtered.

Who knew that somebody actually recorded the sounds of rabbit slaughters?
Old 1 February 2018, 17:23
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
but sadly Clinton pal Harvey Weinstein is producing so I expect the truth to be white washed.
Hopefully not in the same way Weinstein white washed starlets.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 1 February 2018, 20:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Who knew that somebody actually recorded the sounds of rabbit slaughters?
Predator hunters use recordings of rabbits screaming and other prey animals in distress to call in foxes, coyotes, etc. Been around since the days of reel to reel.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 2 February 2018, 15:09

Thanks for the info, Nick. I've never heard of that practice, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Are there any call devices out there similar to a duck call but that mimics a particular animal in distress? I figure that might come in handy if you're looking to bag some coyotes.
Old 2 February 2018, 16:07

I was in Albuquerque this week and had a chance to meet up with another bud from the Corps that was a SS in 2/4 back in the day. He's into MMA now .

Not only did he apparently knock out a SAS dude in a a charity exhibition fight (lol), he was an extra in this Waco movie. He was one of the ATF agents in the back of the 5 ton. Says he got $4k for the gig and is in many of the episodes. So while I probably know the way hollyweird will inevitably slant this miniseries, I'll watch it to spot George in his scenes.
Old 2 February 2018, 16:33
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I was in Albuquerque this week and had a chance to meet up with another bud from the Corps that was a SS in 2/4 back in the day. He's into MMA now .

Not only did he apparently knock out a SAS dude in a a charity exhibition fight (lol), he was an extra in this Waco movie. He was one of the ATF agents in the back of the 5 ton. Says he got $4k for the gig and is in many of the episodes. So while I probably know the way hollyweird will inevitably slant this miniseries, I'll watch it to spot George in his scenes.
That was an excellent podcast with your boy.
Old 11 February 2018, 22:53
Very Deplorable

Not bad.
One down, I'll binge on this tonight.
Old 23 February 2018, 17:32
Confirmed User

Only one episode left and I’m interested to see how they portray the final events. I asked my wife if she thought they were portraying Koresh in a positive light and she did. In the last episode, I thought they did a good job of showing him as a manipulative control freak that was stubborn as hell and never intended to come out. He had many opportunities to send the kids out but refused.

On the other hand, they are making the HRT Team Leader out to be a total jackass.
Old 25 February 2018, 16:48
Confirmed User

I’ve really liked it so far, I was a little worried that it would end up being like to original made for tv propaganda movie from the 90’s, but it seems to do a good job of portraying the events. Surprisingly I think they are a little too sympathetic towards Koresh.
Old 25 February 2018, 18:17
RIP Cass and SOTB

So far so good IMO. I feel like the ATF agent they had undercover got screwed. But, that's the game sometimes I guess. It's a pretty good series. I think they have shown how good Koresh was at manipulating and persuading people. I think they were mostly weak minded but oh well.

I like the negotiatior personally. They chose a good character to portray him.
Old 25 February 2018, 18:27
I really don't care

I've got one ep to go. Agreed that different sides are slanted. But to me, not as much as they could, and not as much as I assumed they would. The negative side of Koresh, and the good side of the ATF and FBI did come through a but.

I like the fact that it has not been flooded with the political crap. So far not a single mention of Janet Reno!
Old 1 March 2018, 01:15
Confirmed User

That was a very well done finale and Michael Shannon did a great job. It did come across as sympathetic to the Branch Davidians, but you can’t help but feel sorry for the women and children.

Our new posting rules