Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 12 July 2016, 12:27
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Bump. I started looking into this but I'm probably one of the least tech savvy on this board. I'm thinking I'll only need 3-4 cameras, PoE (?). I don't have an issue with wireless but if I have to wire for power why not just do PoE? But the function I'd be looking for would be intergraded with door locks, lights, and heat, that can all be controlled by my phone. Then just run everything to a NAS with hard dives?

I don't see a need to pay a company for monitoring. Ideally, I'd like a camera that has a motion detection that can ping an alert on my phone and I can see over IP. Then just call the popo myself, or at least have footage.

Thoughts? Recommendations for apps? I run OSi.
Part of the cost is maintaining whatever monstrosity you design. If you're not tech-savvy, you can do no harm getting an existing commercial system.

The key things to remember is that you should not use a third-party hosting solution (i.e. you have to log into some company's website to view your feeds), and you should always change any default passwords to the system. A lot of these have out-of-the-box solutions.

Most commercial packages are below $400 these days and integrate with iOS, Android, and Windows.

Things can get tricky for a non-tech peeps if they're trying to view their feeds away from home (i.e. cloud) and not use a third-party. You're going to have to configure dynamic DNS, and point your router to it. The trick is making sure you don't inadvertently expose the rest of your home network to the internet by misconfiguration

A link that may help: http://www.tp-link.us/faq-304.html

If you need more help, or I didn't actually answer what you were looking for, let me know.

Last edited by CV; 12 July 2016 at 12:33.
Old 12 July 2016, 18:36
Nexus Schemer

Take a look at alarmgrid.com

Also look at blue iris for you nvr.

Ubiquiti has great prices on wifi cameras and Poe switching. We've tested them against dell and hp with really good results for the price points

Look at the Honeywell Lynx system. Add a wifi card and maybe zigbee or zwave thermostats and you can start. And build it as you go add Windows and doors. If your house has a wired system there are devices that you can make those zones wireless and add them to the Lynx.

For the more tech inspired you can get wireless ap and controllers off business lease cheap and are fun to deploy wifi in the house with a little reading could be a fun project for you
Old 29 September 2016, 21:03
Been There Done That

Bump..

I'm even less tech savvy than HM says he is.. plus I don't have the time and I really don't want to screw up a home install. So be gentle:

Beside ADT, are there other companies that do it all? set up/monitoring- Outside and just alarm sensors on windows/doors etc. I just don't have the time w/ my travel.

Thanks!
Old 29 September 2016, 23:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
Bump..

I'm even less tech savvy than HM says he is.. plus I don't have the time and I really don't want to screw up a home install. So be gentle:

Beside ADT, are there other companies that do it all? set up/monitoring- Outside and just alarm sensors on windows/doors etc. I just don't have the time w/ my travel.

Thanks!

Inside, just go 100% wireless with a cellular backup, not a hardline. Just stick the sensors where you want them. You can have it monitored or not, your call. If you go with ADT or a similar company, you will be forced into a contract and even after you pay for the gear, they still own it. The main panel will not function without a subscription to the company that did the install. So if they piss you off and you switch to another company, you will get a new panel installed and you will get charged for it. If you decide to do it yourself like I did, you will have to replace the entire control board.

Outdoors is more complex. You need to figure out a lot of things beforehand that I dont have time to cover tonight.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 8 October 2017, 15:08
Nurse Ratched

Looking for suggestions on an IP camera for a babys room and an IOS app. Baby monitors are not cheap and would rather have something I could repurpose later. Was looking at the Foscam IP cameras but there are a bunch of apps out there with hit or miss reviews. Online reviews always seem to be 50/50 operator error.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 9 October 2017, 11:06
Confirmed User

You might give this a try: http://www.businessinsider.com/blink...review-2017-10

I'm thinking about buying one myself just for home security purposes. I'd be curious as to the board's thoughts on it as well.

Our new posting rules