Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 5 October 2017, 16:38
Confirmed User

Mr. Mercedes

This is an AT&T mini-series based on the Stephen King novel, airing on the Audience channel. I get the channel with DirectTV but it's not available on Xfinity.

There's only one episode left and I've enjoyed it so far. I've read the trilogy and the story is very similar to the first book. There's no supernatural voodoo going on, but in Stephen King fashion, the killer is one sick fuck. Brendan Gleeson is perfectly cast as the lead, a retired alcoholic detective still brooding over the fact that he didn't solve the Mercedes case. Dennis Lehane wrote the screenplay for several episodes and King has been involved as a producer. The show is definitely R rated for graphic violence and language. They aren't using the same filter as the other cable channels. This is more along the lines of what you'd see on HBO instead of AMC or FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igyy_rnaw-Q
Old 5 October 2017, 17:02
Been There Done That

I'll check this out, I'm a big King fan--give "Gerald's Game" a look as well. Not a bad flick.
Old 5 October 2017, 17:27
Been There Done That

haven't read the book(s, I guess), but I like this series, it is well told.

spoiler: can't believe it's not set in Maine.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 7 October 2017, 05:14
Confirmed User

I recently finished the Mr. Mercedes book and really enjoyed it. King's writing talent is hard to beat. I will try to catch the series, hoping it is able to capture at least some of what made the book so good. A glimpse into this man's mind makes me appreciate that he turned his thoughts to writing. I have found some of his non-horror writings to be a prophetic look into the future acts of some sick individuals.
Old 10 October 2017, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I'll check this out, I'm a big King fan--give "Gerald's Game" a look as well. Not a bad flick.
Thanks for the tip on "Geralds Game" well done horror with some soul.

Our new posting rules