Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 10 October 2017, 10:19
Been There Done That

Ice Guardians

I watched this documentary on Netflix last night--that said, I know absolutely nothing about Hockey, other than, knock the puck into the net and watch the fist fight highlights on the news. This documentary covers the players known as 'The Enforcers", fans of the movie 'Goon' will understand the term.

But they're not Goons and despise the term. Most of these players I've never heard of, but after watching this--I've got nothing but mad respect for these guys. Whether you're a Hockey fan, or like me, know nothing about the sport but like a good sports documentary...this flick is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzqIoa5z8gs
Old 10 October 2017, 11:15
Life is simple, not easy.

Since Las Vegas now has an NHL team I need to learn more about hockey. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 10 October 2017, 12:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Check out another documentary on hockey enforcers called "The Last Gladiators". One of the featured subjects in it is Chris Nilan, a Boston native who dreamed of playing for the Bruins but wound up playing for the Canadiens, where his value was less on his ability to play hockey than it was to fight.

The NHL has changed quite a bit since then, now it stresses speed and finesse, and while physical play and fisticuffs are still valued, the day of the goon appears to have faded for good.
Old 10 October 2017, 12:49
Divides by zero

Both fliks are great.
Hockey is changing, but it still has its go to guys. More is expected out of them now, in my opinion.
Old 10 October 2017, 13:56

Tie Domi.
Esa Tikkanen.
Marty McSorley.

A type of 'skill' player we may not see much anymore.
Finesse guy or bruiser, those boys go balls-out each shift and play injured way more than often than a lot of other pros.
Much respect.

Thanks for the movie recs.
DaveP
Old 10 October 2017, 17:32
Been There Done That

I may just start watching hockey after watching these flicks--these guys are in wicked-badass shape. I like when the one guy states after getting the new shoulder pads, stronger and lighter--"You could go to war in these mutherfuckers."

Getting blindsided buy a 260 pound monster going 35mph on ice...yeah, I got nothing but respect for these guys. Not to mention handling that puck.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:23
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I may just start watching hockey after watching these flicks--these guys are in wicked-badass shape. I like when the one guy states after getting the new shoulder pads, stronger and lighter--"You could go to war in these mutherfuckers."

Getting blindsided buy a 260 pound monster going 35mph on ice...yeah, I got nothing but respect for these guys. Not to mention handling that puck.
I recommend this movie.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=126385
Old 11 October 2017, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post

If you haven't watched it yet, follow GPC's advice and check out Slap Shot.

First and foremost, of course, it has the Hanson Brothers, but there is also a recurring character in the movie named Ogie Oglethorpe, who is played in the movie by the screenwriter Nancy Dowd's brother, Ned Dowd. His stories of playing on an east coast minor league team formed the basis for the screenplay.

Ogie Oglethorpe was actually based on a real life player in that same league by the name of Bill "Goldie" Goldthorpe, known throughout the league for his fighting ability and willingness to drop the gloves in a heartbeat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldie_Goldthorpe

Here's a picture of Goldie in his prime, can you imagine this guy bearing down on you at full speed?

Hockey players are known for their toughness, and also their stamina and athleticism. Never played in any organized leagues, and I don't play many games any more, but every chance I get in the winter I try to get out on the ice for about an hour of chasing the puck around and shooting the net. Great exercise and something I enjoy to this day, 50 years after picking up a hockey stick (54 years after first putting on the skates at age 2 ).
Old 11 October 2017, 12:49
Been There Done That

I've never worn a pair of skates in my life...no shit.
Old 11 October 2017, 13:55

Never too late to lace them up and put on the foil!

lol
Old 11 October 2017, 14:12
Confirmed User

Yeah they're tough, check out Roenick.

wwwdotyoutubedotcom/watch?v=Dsc41szSwLM

I believe he finished the game.
Old 11 October 2017, 16:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Never too late to lace them up and put on the foil!

lol
Hahahahahahaha....I do love the Hanson's, but always thought that kinda thing didn't really go on. No skates for me, I'm in that, "Help, I've fallen and can't get the fuck up" phase these days, slow is good--sitting and watching is even better.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:25
Confirmed User

Went to the Pens and Preds. on Saturday, forgot how much fun live Hockey is. Ryan Reeves is a bad ass 3 fives for fighting and a goal.

Our new posting rules