Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 9 January 2002, 22:39
BTDT

Darby's Rangers.... back when men were men, and sheep were scared!

WOOHOO!

Wasn't no fucking GPS back then, god damnit.... had to nagivate wit ur canteen cup full of water and a magnetized needle stuck in a dead enemy's ear!!!!

Most you cherry fucks prolly don't remember that movie. If you were born on or after 1984, do pushups. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Old 10 January 2002, 00:34
jag...justagrunt
Visitor

Thumbs up

13 Warriors was a good flick.
Old 10 January 2002, 09:38
Probationary User

One movie I saw recently is worth a look..."When Trumpets Fade". It was either USA Network or HBO type flick. It covers the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest. No big names, and not the greatest production value, but it reminded me of "A Midnight Clear".
Old 10 January 2002, 11:25
Confirmed User

Henry V With Kennith Brannagh.
Glory
The origional All Quiet on the Western Fron.
And the one that starred John Boy that was made for TV

Don't know if anyone had mentioned those.

Band of Brothers was great. I was only able to get the first 5 parts taped, and can't wait for the DVD box set.

Plus, MEGAFORCE RULES!!!!

You people need to put that one into context. It was the 80's when that came out. NOTHING was real in the 80's. Hell, If the Army had those gold zip up body suits wtih the flash dance head bands as the uniform today, think of how much different the military would be.....

Last edited by Fightingscottish; 10 January 2002 at 17:06.
Old 10 January 2002, 14:08
Reaper375
Visitor

BEST DAMN MOVIE!!!

And my vote for my absolute favorite movie of all time?

BOONDOCK SAINTS!!!

You can only rent it from Blockbuster. It has William DeFoe, Norman Reedus, and Sean Patcrick Flannery. Even a surprise shot from the Hedgehog, Ron Jeremy.

I won't say much about it, but RENT IT. If you are a Ranger, RENT IT. You will thank me after that.
Old 10 January 2002, 17:41
Authorized Personnel

Someone said "Predator"? I didn't really think that qualified as a military movie, but loved the special effects.
No body's mentioned the TV show "Tour of Duty", with Terrence Knox, remember that? Kinda like M*A*S*H, without the humor. I thought it was pretty good for it's time, and people said it was "intense" back then.
Old 11 January 2002, 06:03
Disturbance
Visitor

I think next friday everyone will be saying BHD.
Old 11 January 2002, 10:58
Confirmed User

Best war movie...

No one of you who knows the german-produced movie "Das Boot" about a german sub during WW2?

In my eyes one of the best films ever made.

Directed by Wolfgang Petersen, starring Juergen Prochnow (bad guy from Beverly Hills Cop 2).

JOE
Old 11 January 2002, 11:26
Confirmed User

Das Boot was good. I forgot about that one.

How about Paths of Glory by Stanley kubrick? It starred Kirk Douglas.

Any one see that?
Old 11 January 2002, 14:55
0311 - Rifleman

Re: The Midnight Clear

Does this movie take place during WW II during the Battle of the Bulge?

If it is the one that I am thinking of, it is a good movie.
Old 12 January 2002, 08:02
Grey,Green,Brown&Oakover

"Jumping Jacks" Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin.
"GI Blues" Elvis

Anything with JOHN WAYNE,I can not believe some people hating the Greatest American ever beside Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin.

And I still watch "Von Ryans Express" and hope he makes it to the train.

"Odd Angry Shot" and a Mini series called "The ANZACS"

More to follow,over.......
Old 13 January 2002, 04:51
Confirmed User

i guess none of us read the front page =-D

Modern: BHD Rocks, best modern war flick so far, though 3 kings is enjoyable aside from the zoom in iron sights =-) I saw behind enemy lines which is a good action flick and a shitty war movie, I'm surprised no one mentioned Rules Of Engagement, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also Heartbreak Ridge is always a good one to watch (damned digital cable and me having all this reading to do =-) Major Payne is one of my favorite comedies, hell, i still do the robot =-) Also when he retaliates with chemical weapons against their cupcake attack is a classic scene. Also I just watched In The Army Now the other day while eating some wendys (R.I.P. Dave Thomas, you have given us Bacon Mushroom Melt and we will never forget you for it =-D ) and it's got some great scenes, David Allen Grier and Andy Dick (a nice guy) are hillarious in it.

Vietnam/Korea: I love M.A.S.H. one of the greatest football games ever, aside from all sorts of hilarity otherwise, not to mentinon I love the show as well. 84 Charlie Mopic is a great flick and they actually tried to be realistic (and a great plot) The Manchurian Candidate is always interesting (side note, I ended up being the defacto uniform advisor for an off broadway modernized version because I happened to be in the A/N shop they were getting the uniforms at (Kaufmans on 42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues, across from the Port Authority Bus Terminal coolest surplus shop in the city)) I always enjoyed Hamburger Hill and FMJ as well, not too big on Platoon or Apocalypse Now. And yes I like Stripes as well as Animal House A PLEDGE PIN ON YOUR UNIFORM!?!?!

WW2- SPR and BoB for starters, Kelly's Heroes is also a favorite as is Stalag 17 (and Hogan's Heroes =-) Patton is a classic, as are so many others... Go For Broke and Hell To Eternity are two of my favorites. The Big Red One is a good one too. (there's one I watched recently that I can't remember the name of that was really good) Dirty Dozen is great, and the second isn't bad (nothing like switching armbands) We actually watched A Midnight Clear in sophomore english in my high school, and I loved it (I plan on naming one of my kids William Knott and another Wyohming Knott =-) Also what's the movie where the guy impersonates the British General? (a comedy with Jimmy Stewart maybe?)

WW1- there was The Lost Battalion on tv recently, but i didn't see it all, so i'll reserve judgement.
Old 13 January 2002, 11:59
Probationary User

Thumbs up Geez...even more...

This has turned into an excellent thread...

OK...

Pre-WWI: "Zulu": One company of British Infantry against 4000 Zulus...9(?) Victoria Crosses in one battle...

"Waterloo": Jeez...whata mess that was...

WWI: "Paths of Glory" w/Kirk Douglas: Honest army officer fights the higher ups when he sees his men being sacrificed for nothing

"Galipoli": Frontal attacks on entrenched HMGs really isn't fun...

WWII: "The Big Red One" w/Lee Marvin: Really underrated...from D-Day to Germany with one squad...

Korea: Haven't really seen many Korean war flicks out there...something on the Marines at Chosin or the Canadians/Aussies at Kapyong might be a good show...

Vietnam: "FMJ": R. Lee Emery is God.
"The Odd Angry Shot": Hours of boredom, puntucted by moments of sheer terror...the scene when Bryan Brown in the hospital is great...

Modern: Nothing yet....

Last edited by GreenSlime; 13 January 2002 at 12:06.
Old 13 January 2002, 12:14
Authorized Personnel

What about...

"The Generals Daughter", with John Ravolta? Nobody's mentioned that one yet. I kinda liked it, although I'll get flamed for saying it...
Old 13 January 2002, 12:57
Authorized Personnel

I hated that movie. That was one sick bitch. Movies like The General's Daughter and 8 MM shake my confidence in humanity. Then I watch ROE and my hope is restored. :D
Old 13 January 2002, 16:54
Been There Done That

Re: Geez...even more...

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenSlime
R. Lee Emery is God
Could not agree more. And along those lines, has anyone seen him in Saving Silverman ? Now, I respect the guy a whole lot, however, his character being gay and then kissing Jack Black in the end? It was kind of funny, but also kind of a "what the..." moment. Guess the guy has some serious balls to be doing that on screen. It was funny as all hell though.

Matt
Old 14 January 2002, 22:33
Arrogant Bastard

What about "The Beast"? About the lone tank lost in a box canyon during the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan. Always liked that movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 January 2002, 23:53

Guess that I will jump in on this one.......

I have always liked Crimson Tide with Gene Hackman -- the scene where the Captain is addressing the crew before they man the sub always made me smile------

"What is the name of this ship, Mr. Cobb?"

"Alabama, sir!"

Another one of my favorite movies (as a kid) was a Hackman project by the name of Uncommon Valor. It had Randle "Tex" Cobb and Patrick Swayze as supporting cast members, and was about a retired Colonel going back to Nam to look for his MIA son. Ahh, to be young and stupid once again.

Can we include Braveheart as a military movie?

mdb23
Old 15 January 2002, 00:22
jag...justagrunt
Visitor

Thumbs up

I forgot this one...

Garden of Stones

James Cann & James Earl Jones
Old 15 January 2002, 03:23
Resident Kimchee Master

Das Boot rocks

Das Boot gets my vote the best war movie.

And Major Payne was so funny. It's just continuous laugh-a-thon.

The worst movie?

I didn't have a good opinion of Semper Fidelis, some movie about Marine Bootcamp. It looked so much like Marine propaganda to me Funny thing is that a Canadian station was playing it.

What do you guys think of Blackhawk Down? I think it's about to be released soon in the theatres.

Our new posting rules