Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 5 September 2015, 10:50
Old and Grumpy

Saw the first two episodes last night. Well done. Dovetails nicely with Bowden's book. I'm in for the rest.
Old 5 September 2015, 11:38
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo
Not to mention the ACOG scopes and Picatinny Rail systems on some of those weapons the Colombians were carrying in the mid 80's
As you can see in the screen capture below, they were more highspeed than we thought
The Colombians have always been more high speed than we thought -- don't believe me? Just ask a Colombian....
Old 5 September 2015, 11:49
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
The Colombians have always been more high speed than we thought -- don't believe me? Just ask a Colombian....
LOL......try being married to one for 17 years.
Old 5 September 2015, 18:52
Confirmed User

Great show, I ended up watching it all in 1 day, the dude from Elite Squad is awesome.....I kinda think the guy playing the white DEA agent isn't a very good actor, and I almost think it would be a better show with out his whole storyline. But even with that said, it's ine of the better shows I've watched in a while.
Old 6 September 2015, 03:02
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
LOL......try being married to one for 17 years.
Going on 8.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 6 September 2015, 10:28
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Elite Squad is one of my fav's....now I will start to watch Narcos.Thanks for the tip.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 6 September 2015, 18:55
Been There Done That

So far pretty cool show....
Columbia was a cool place to visit.....

I have three soldiers who work in the program I manage from there. One is old enough to remember the death and destruction.
Old 6 September 2015, 19:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
So far pretty cool show....
Columbia was a cool place to visit.....

I have three soldiers who work in the program I manage from there. One is old enough to remember the death and destruction.
Sorry brada, but I have to do it.

ColOmbia... not Columbia

Sltwtr1

Out

Jack Bauer
Old 6 September 2015, 21:36
Sub Rosa

The wife and I watched the first 4 episodes last night. She normally avoids movies or shows about narcos since she lived through some intense times but I convinced her to watch it. She actually enjoyed it except she was constantly irritated with Escobar's accent, not Colombian. I must give props since they clearly filmed many of the scenes in Colombia. I recognized many of the locations. The opening scene depicts an overflight of La Candelaria and then up the Septima. The scene where Escobar and his buddy are pulled over on the bridge with the tvs, looks like the bridge leading into Sante Fe de Antioquia. Also the scene in Medellin where they were waiting for the hooker, appeared to be filmed in that little colonial village on the hill in the middle of the city, forgot the name.
Old 7 September 2015, 00:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The wife and I watched the first 4 episodes last night. She normally avoids movies or shows about narcos since she lived through some intense times but I convinced her to watch it. She actually enjoyed it except she was constantly irritated with Escobar's accent, not Colombian. I must give props since they clearly filmed many of the scenes in Colombia. I recognized many of the locations. The opening scene depicts an overflight of La Candelaria and then up the Septima. The scene where Escobar and his buddy are pulled over on the bridge with the tvs, looks like the bridge leading into Sante Fe de Antioquia. Also the scene in Medellin where they were waiting for the hooker, appeared to be filmed in that little colonial village on the hill in the middle of the city, forgot the name.
Pueblito Paisa

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 7 September 2015, 09:10
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
Pueblito Paisa

Sltwtr1

OUT
Yes, thanks! Again last night the wife and I watched 3 more episodes, up to where Escobar turns himself in. This series IMO is incredible. Besides filming in Colombia, it has a very even tempered script as the perspective is not slanted towards gringos. Frankly, I've never seen such excellent writing in a film production on Colombia. If you have any questions regarding the complexities and contradictions, this show may answer them and more. The gringos aren't the heroes and not all Colombians are narcos. This series dramatically shows the real issues and the amount of suffering and sacrifice that Colombia has endured. IMO I'm glad this is a series and not a film since they would never had been able to convey this in a 2 hour film. Additionally, the authenticity is unique, to include: the physical mannerisms of Escobar, filmed on-site locations, and the use of Colombian slang. Also, I believe the producers and script writers had significant cooperation from the Colombian government because not only were the scenes filmed on official government locations like military and government buildings, but the internal Colombian political dialogue between senior officials was simply amazing for its truth and subtleties! This is a 5 star production! Thanks Match for recommending this show as I probably would have blown this off as some stereotypical gringo show and refused to even watch it. Look out, Tom Cruise was in Medellin recently, photographed with the Medellin mayor and is looking to make a film there...can't wait for that one. Also rumor is Stallone and Schwarzenegger are going to Colombia to scout out some locations for the Expendables.
Old 7 September 2015, 09:52
Been There Done That

Pretty good.
I am surprised by the quality of netflix produced shows. They seem to do a better job than other studios who have been established for much longer.
Old 7 September 2015, 13:05
Calculating Infinity...

Love the show.

Side note, every time Gacha is on screen, I can't help but think
of The Greatest Game Ever Known To Man
Old 7 September 2015, 18:33
Confirmed User

Just got back home.

First thing I started watching on Netflix is Narcos.

Dude from those BOPE movies is a great choice as Escobar.

Has a really gritty/genuine look and feel about it.

One of the best and most seemingly realistic shows I've ever watched.

I'm trying to stretch it out and savour it, rather than binge watching since what's in the queue behind it will probably suck in comparison.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 7 September 2015, 19:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Love the show.

Side note, every time Gacha is on screen, I can't help but think
of The Greatest Game Ever Known To Man
Luis Guzman. I love how he can believably play a psycho like Gacha, or Vanessa Hudgens' goofy dad in Journey2: Mysterious Island. The guy is a seriously underrated actor.
Old 8 September 2015, 06:57
Overseas Gunplumber

I have been watching this as well since hearing about it here and elsewhere. My only real complaint was them giving them weapons and accessories that weren't even in that time frame (like the M4 carbines).

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 8 September 2015, 07:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
I have been watching this as well since hearing about it here and elsewhere. My only real complaint was them giving them weapons and accessories that weren't even in that time frame (like the M4 carbines).
The copier in this picture looks just like the one in my office. Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.8 KB, 214 views)
Old 8 September 2015, 07:05
Overseas Gunplumber

Someone else mentioned that earlier I think. Me not being any kind of office equipment expert cannot comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
The copier in this picture looks just like the one in my office. Lol.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 8 September 2015, 09:14
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
Yeah, that bugged me too, but it's just something you need to overlook for the rest of the show.

I just finished the first season, can't wait for the next season. Every episode is as good as the last one.
Old 8 September 2015, 10:24
Authorized Personnel

We are about six or 7 in. Great show.

Our new posting rules