Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 8 September 2015, 11:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
Not to mention the ACOG scopes and Picatinny Rail systems on some of those weapons the Colombians were carrying in the mid 80's
As you can see in the screen capture below, they were more highspeed than we thought
Little things like that always bug me as well in movies. Attention to detail.

Worst infractions are TV shows/Movies in the 70s and 80s, depicting WWII or the Korean War - yet all the actors having 1970s/80s longer hair and sideburns.

Or seeing period show, yet seeing modern wrist watches on the actors.

There are some shows that do it right though, and I applaud them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 September 2015, 11:59
Confirmed User

Binge watched the first season over the weekend. Kick ass show and can't wait for the second season to pick up where this one left off. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 8 September 2015, 22:24
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Just watched the first episode, thanks to the recommendation here.
The DEA guy and his voice over are kind of annoying, but the guy playing Escobar is great.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 8 September 2015, 23:19
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Little things like that always bug me as well in movies. Attention to detail.

Worst infractions are TV shows/Movies in the 70s and 80s, depicting WWII or the Korean War - yet all the actors having 1970s/80s longer hair and sideburns.

Or seeing period show, yet seeing modern wrist watches on the actors.

There are some shows that do it right though, and I applaud them.
I've told this here before but it's worth repeating as it relates directly to your point.

years ago, I was one of the managers of a club that was often used as a location for film and TV shoots.
Spike Lee was filming Summer of Sam there and the place had to look like it was Summer of 1977.
there was incredible attention to detail for things that were only going to be on screen for a fraction of a second... and even for things that weren't even visible in the shots... old trash cans instead of dumpsters, rotary phones on the desks, street signs changed to be the same color they were in the 70's... even fifty thousand dollars spent on a neon sign for the building next door that wasn't even in the shot.

me and one other guy from the club walked through the line of costumed extras, dressed as 1977 punks, with one of the assistant directors, to pull people out who were wearing shirts or pins for bands that didn't yet exist in 1977. They made a few extras change their shirts or go back to the holding area to not be in the shot.

We had two problems where they didn't care about authenticity. The first was two female extras flashing tongue piercings. The AD said it didn't matter if they were authentic... the director wanted them in a close up so they were staying. The other... I pointed out a kid wearing a woodland camo BDU field jacket and said those weren't around yet. The AD was a little upset by this one and told me they had filmed multiple scenes where a main character wears a woodland BDU field jacket. They simply didn't know.

What it comes down to is sometimes it's an honest mistake... and sometimes the film makers genuinely don't give a shit. They think if they didn't notice a weapon or uniform was wrong, no one else will.

I have a friend who is a professional propmaster, who has worked on countless film and TV productions, and she has vented many stories of directors who do not give a shit about authenticity, even if switching something out doesn't cost any time or money, some just don't care.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 9 September 2015, 09:13
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
I've told this here before but it's worth repeating as it relates directly to your point.

years ago, I was one of the managers of a club that was often used as a location for film and TV shoots.
Spike Lee was filming Summer of Sam there and the place had to look like it was Summer of 1977.
there was incredible attention to detail for things that were only going to be on screen for a fraction of a second... and even for things that weren't even visible in the shots... old trash cans instead of dumpsters, rotary phones on the desks, street signs changed to be the same color they were in the 70's... even fifty thousand dollars spent on a neon sign for the building next door that wasn't even in the shot.

me and one other guy from the club walked through the line of costumed extras, dressed as 1977 punks, with one of the assistant directors, to pull people out who were wearing shirts or pins for bands that didn't yet exist in 1977. They made a few extras change their shirts or go back to the holding area to not be in the shot.

We had two problems where they didn't care about authenticity. The first was two female extras flashing tongue piercings. The AD said it didn't matter if they were authentic... the director wanted them in a close up so they were staying. The other... I pointed out a kid wearing a woodland camo BDU field jacket and said those weren't around yet. The AD was a little upset by this one and told me they had filmed multiple scenes where a main character wears a woodland BDU field jacket. They simply didn't know.

What it comes down to is sometimes it's an honest mistake... and sometimes the film makers genuinely don't give a shit. They think if they didn't notice a weapon or uniform was wrong, no one else will.

I have a friend who is a professional propmaster, who has worked on countless film and TV productions, and she has vented many stories of directors who do not give a shit about authenticity, even if switching something out doesn't cost any time or money, some just don't care.
In the case of "Narcos", it's likely more to do with the prop guy and military advisor, they should know better. Seriously, if your sole job is the weapon prop custodian for a period production and you get it wrong, well, your shit sucks.

It's a minor distraction to an otherwise excellent show, all the same, the director and producer should be aware of these discrepancies well before shooting starts.
Old 9 September 2015, 17:04
RIP SOTB

I am hooked! Looking forward to season 2.
Old 10 September 2015, 09:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
I am hooked! Looking forward to season 2.
not too long after where the season ended is the end for Escobar....

I don't see too much on him on season too but it opens the door for the story to into Griselda Blanco... Cant wait regardless!!!
Old 11 September 2015, 01:24
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Two episodes in and I'm really diggin this show!

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 11 September 2015, 08:42
Been There Done That

When will Season Two be released?

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 13 September 2015, 23:48
Supporterator

Watched the first episode, flipped a coin with the lady for this or Mad Men. She lost but by the time Narcos was over she had forgotten all about Mad Men.
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 27 September 2015, 09:21
The Sagacious One

E1 and E2 of season 1. Prett good so far. So no mowing goes on today, I guess.
Old 27 September 2015, 09:28
Administrator

I like it.
Has anyone else found themselves hoping the blond DEA dude takes a bullet? He's annoying.
Old 27 September 2015, 09:38
Animal Tamer

Great show. Wife loves it too.
Old 27 September 2015, 23:03
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Interesting that they snagged a 199X Suburban and a 199X Grand Marquis as well.

I never thought Macaulay Culkin would make a comeback.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 27 September 2015, 23:10
Been There Done That

Just finished S1. I really liked it. Looking forward to S2.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 27 September 2015, 23:24
Been There Done That

Question

Just binge-watched the entire season in two days. Overall it was great. I like how they interspersed real historical footage of the various personalities into the story line. Great photography of a beautiful country, had a few flashbacks of Bogotá and Larandia....

***Spoiler Alert***

Can someone explain if DEA Agent Javi Peña was the dude that turned those pics of Murphy's kills over to Navegante?
Old 28 September 2015, 00:06
The Sagacious One

Watched about 4 episodes from S1 tonight, up to E9.

It aint Breaking Bad, but it's pretty good.
Old 28 September 2015, 12:07
Drawing my cutlass

The esposa and I binged watched this over a weekend. She was in class when the cartel attacked the justice building and her mother begged her to come home. She told me that it was like reliving all the bad times in Bogota; her only complaint was the actor portraying Escobar did not have the right accent. I've never heard her use the word 'cochino' so many times.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 3 October 2015, 22:11
Calix Meus Inebrians

Great show, can't wait for the next season.
Old 4 October 2015, 21:11
Been There Done That

I don't watch television but wanted to see what all the racket was about....thank you for the recommendation Match, the show is awesome. I lived in Cali por un ratico (couple of years) and get a kick out of some of the banter on here. Despite Wagner's (Pablo) accent, he does a great job with the Spanish being Brazilian.

Our new posting rules