Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 12 June 2016, 13:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
If you are in Central Florida, we are in desperate need for AB plasma, O positive, and O negative blood. Please donate to the Red Cross or One Blood.
Apparently over 1,000 people are responding to the call to donate blood........with lines downtown being a couple hours of waiting. Glad to see the community rallying to their fellow citizens. Now if they would just be willing to call a duck......a duck........
Old 12 June 2016, 13:21
Old Scroll

Double tap

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Been There Done That

POTUS to speak shortly, let's see if he mentions the 'Elephant in the Room', Muslim Extremist's.
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I wonder if this will bring a halt to everybody licking Muhammad Ali's dead muslim ballsack?
^^^ Wowsers... for the Big Win

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 June 2016, 13:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
IF that is the case I would hope it was for a secondary slow and deliberate search of the facility once the shooting had stopped. I would think the days of the "tactical loitering" are over ....I know they are where I am. First guys on scene go in immediately and stop the threat. That is SOP. Lots of variables and too little information is available to know. FOX just said....police could only see 20 dead from the outside because it wasn't safe to go in. I would like to explore that statement a bit.

IMHO, still too many unknowns to say why they didnt do an active shooter drill.

The good part is that they have two of the best SWAT teams on the planet right there in the same county.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 12 June 2016, 13:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
IF that is the case I would hope it was for a secondary slow and deliberate search of the facility once the shooting had stopped. I would think the days of the "tactical loitering" are over ....I know they are where I am. First guys on scene go in immediately and stop the threat. That is SOP. Lots of variables and too little information is available to know. FOX just said....police could only see 20 dead from the outside because it wasn't safe to go in. I would like to explore that statement a bit.
All of the training and briefings we get now are if you can, get inside and move to the gunfire. That was not the case when I started almost 20 years ago. The training then was to set up a perimeter and wait for SWAT. Columbine started the shift in that mindset, as well as a local incident for us here in Massachusetts (The Wakefield shooting by Mucko McDermott).

Don't know what happened here so I'll wait.

CNN is reporting that someone in Los Angelos was just picked up with an arsenal at the LA Pride Parade.
Old 12 June 2016, 13:47
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Don't know what happened here so I'll wait.
Smartest words in this thread.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 12 June 2016, 13:49
Been There Done That

Not terrorism. Probably just protesting a movie. Disregard the shooters own call to 911 prior to alleging allegiance to ISIS....just a protest about a movie.
Old 12 June 2016, 13:49
Confirmed User

This possibly evolved into a hostage situation and the bad guy placed some type of devices around the hostages necks. He also reportedly called 911 to pledge his allegiance to ISIS.
Old 12 June 2016, 13:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Batt View Post
Not terrorism. Probably just protesting a movie. Disregard the shooters own call to 911 prior to alleging allegiance to ISIS....just a protest about a movie.
At least we didn't know. Wait...

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 12 June 2016, 13:52
Confirmed User

OK, just now in Santa Monica : http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

What was this guys name, I wonder?
Old 12 June 2016, 13:53
Critical mass

Prayers out to the fallen and injured and the families of.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams
Old 12 June 2016, 14:00
Administrator

Not going to put out any details but the play by play that I have from friends there in LE (I worked with both of those SWAT Teams for years) makes me believe that they did everything they were supposed to do and then some. I dont think any criticism or commentary of the police response is warranted at this point. I think when the story comes out, you will see that the Police stepped up and did exactly what they were supposed to do.
-Invictus
Old 12 June 2016, 14:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I wonder if this will bring a halt to everybody licking Muhammad Ali's dead muslim ballsack?
Nope. I've already heard that Christians hate gays as much or more than Muslims and that this is the fault of guns.

So, business as usual.

I didn't see a single person anywhere call for banning alcohol so that swimmers don't rape unconscious girls, because even though both sloshed, it was his actions, not the alcohol's actions.

But with this, it was the gun's actions.

Last edited by KidA; 12 June 2016 at 14:30.
Old 12 June 2016, 14:22
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Not going to put out any details but the play by play that I have from friends there in LE (I worked with both of those SWAT Teams for years) makes me believe that they did everything they were supposed to do and then some. I dont think any criticism or commentary of the police response is warranted at this point. I think when the story comes out, you will see that the Police stepped up and did exactly what they were supposed to do.
Thank you, on behalf of my people.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 12 June 2016, 14:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
this is the fault of guns. So, business as usual.
Yup...already started.
Old 12 June 2016, 14:26
RIP Cass and SOTB

Is the SOP to always wait for SWAT during an active shooter? Why not grab the secondary weapon rifle/shotgun and go try to end the situation? Maybe wait for an additional officer and make entry? The whole active shooter stuff confuses me as an 11B my answer is to get inside and kill the bad guys. But, this is NOT OIF/OEF, so my train of thought is probably wrong. Is activating the SWAT guys a lengthy process? My father's agency takes about 30-45 mins to page and start the spin up.

I just don't understand and hopefully can get a good explanation from one of you SWAT BTDTs.

Last edited by UGA_11B; 12 June 2016 at 14:28. Reason: Spelling
Old 12 June 2016, 15:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post
Is the SOP to always wait for SWAT during an active shooter? Why not grab the secondary weapon rifle/shotgun and go try to end the situation? Maybe wait for an additional officer and make entry? The whole active shooter stuff confuses me as an 11B my answer is to get inside and kill the bad guys. But, this is NOT OIF/OEF, so my train of thought is probably wrong. Is activating the SWAT guys a lengthy process? My father's agency takes about 30-45 mins to page and start the spin up.

I just don't understand and hopefully can get a good explanation from one of you SWAT BTDTs.

I'm sure everyone would have liked to get in there to him and finish him. But if an active shooter gets into a spot where he has hostages and you cant 100% get to him without giving him time to kill those hostages, then the best bet is to dial it down, buy time, and set the stage to end it on your terms, not his, especially if he has stopped shooting people and is holding hostages.

Such a situation is no longer an Active Shooter, but has now transitioned to a Barricade/Hostage scenario. Trying to apply active shooter response to that scenario = dead hostages.

I will say again, the LEOs on scene, according to what I know, did everything exactly the way they should have. When you have this many people jammed into one space, and an active shooter who has made it inside, there is no possible response on the part of LE that could stop this type of body count.

If you guys want to discuss the situation, the shooter, the politics etc, fine, but stay away from the second guessing and armchair QB'ing of the LE response.
-Invictus
Old 12 June 2016, 15:27
killjoy

Pretty rough to hear that some people got out of a back door and then blocked the door after exiting. While an apparent attempt to prevent the shooter from pursuing through that door, it had the consequence of preventing others from escaping and ultimately sealing their fate.
Old 12 June 2016, 15:28
Authorized Personnel

Horrible news.

Our new posting rules