Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 18 August 2016, 19:51
War on Christmas veteran

Weiner

Don't worry... this is not a fluff piece. (pun intended)

A documentary film crew had full access to disgraced former congressman Anthony Weiner's failed bid to run for New York mayor.
It begins smoothly enough for Weiner, as many voters, and members of his staff, are more interested in his politics than his phone sexting scandal from the year before.

Then a new sexting scandal emerges and the cameras are there to catch the disaster that follows, as it obvious Weiner has not given up his dumbassery of sending pictures to strangers online.
His wife struggles to put on a positive public face, while clearly wanting to crack his skull open.
His staff and supporters all start to disappear... and his bullshit starts piling so high, he can't even believe it.

It's an enjoyable documentary and the cameras are there to watch one man's idiocy destroy his political chances and to see a marriage that seemed very much to be based on genuine love and affection seem to turn into a bitter resent-filled political show.

Take away the politics... it's an interesting documentary, just watching a man on the top of the world fall so hard and lash out as he tumbles downward.

"Weiner" is available on most of the streaming services and can, of course, be found on the unmentionable pirate sites.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 20 August 2016, 14:15
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I've read reviews, I hear it's like watching the political equivalent of a train wreck.

I find it kind of amusing that his wife is one of Hillary's top aides.
Old 20 August 2016, 15:22
Violent Social Worker

Does this predate his very most recent texting shit show? Where he thought he was talking to some hot young chick but it was really the president of a College Republicans chapter?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 20 August 2016, 15:40

No, the documentary was being filmed when it occurred. Pretty much changed the whole tone, I imagine.
Old 20 August 2016, 16:32
Red Headed Stepchild

I must be living under a rock, I didn't even know about the second incident.

The way that guy's brain works is a complete mystery to me. If I was in public office, and made the news for texting someone naked pictures, while married, you would never fucking see me again, I'd leave the country. This dude not only stays in the public eye, he runs for office, and then does the same exact thing again, but this time while there's a film crew following him around?

I have met some people with narcissistic personality disorder, but this guy's complete lack of shame is mind boggling.
Old 20 August 2016, 19:39
Life is simple, not easy.

I would rather watch a good redemption story. No interest in watching a show about men and/or women falling because of personal demons. That's all that makes news nowadays.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 21 August 2016, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I would rather watch a good redemption story. No interest in watching a show about men and/or women falling because of personal demons. That's all that makes news nowadays.
I think the documentary started out in some respects as a redemption story, following Weiner as he made his way back into the public eye and political life.

From what I recall of the NYC mayor's race, he was actually polling pretty good and was believed to have had a legitimate shot at being elected. And then he started with the texting again, and the filmmakers continued to film him as the whole mess enveloped him.

Surprisingly, he never shied away from the camera or put an end to their access. So while the tone of the documentary definitely shifted, it didn't necessarily start out as some sort of hit piece on Weiner. I think the director genuinely thought he was filming something of a comeback story.

That the film didn't turn out that way isn't their fault. Although I could see why a lot of people wouldn't really want to watch it, I've heard the whole thing gets pretty awkward, especially when his wife Huma is around.
Old 21 August 2016, 15:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I must be living under a rock, I didn't even know about the second incident.

The way that guy's brain works is a complete mystery to me. If I was in public office, and made the news for texting someone naked pictures, while married, you would never fucking see me again, I'd leave the country. This dude not only stays in the public eye, he runs for office, and then does the same exact thing again, but this time while there's a film crew following him around?

I have met some people with narcissistic personality disorder, but this guy's complete lack of shame is mind boggling.
Well, there's always Dick Morris who got busted sucking on hookers toes and such. All he had to do was renounce the Clinton's and become a Fox News attack dog. Now I'll bet he has hookers jamming their toes inside his asshole on a weekly basis and its all good.
22 Aug 17
Old 21 August 2016, 18:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I would rather watch a good redemption story.
Like your avatar, right? LOL. I tease because I love. Maybe the best movie ever made.
Old 21 August 2016, 19:42
Genetically Deplorable

Just watched it, found it interesting. He's a train wreck you can't not watch. His wife clearly loves the guy. With the cameras on she has every opportunity to show she is not Tammy Wynette standing by her man (cross thread points?). Even after all the shit went down and he is close to calling it quits, and was shooting another campaign vid, she first said the right thing, "no I do not want to be a part of this any longer". As soon as he started his jackassery of "no problem, I'll go it alone", you could see her panic, and pathetically screamed out "Anthony wait". I will say this, I have not seen a pol with more energy than this guy. He just cannot be beat down. And his constituents love him. He absolutely would have received the majority vote from his own district, no doubt. At the end of the day his sickness will likely never be cured. You would think his "rock bottom" was being so publicly humiliated, or his wife's own career being so ungraciously tainted. But no, this guy has no fucking shame! I love it!

I will say he looked like he was on Luudes when he was doing the real-time interview which accompanied the docu.
Old 29 August 2016, 14:46
Red Headed Stepchild

Wow. Dude has issues.

"Clinton Aide announces split after new sexting allegations"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/29/politi...ter/index.html
Old 29 August 2016, 15:08

I guess 3 texting scandals were just too much. 2 she could handle, but this last one...
Old 29 August 2016, 15:21
Another pool cleaner

Thanks for the review. Will try this movie.
Old 29 August 2016, 16:11
Been There Done That

I'm bummed he won't be a bigger part in this election, he was pretty entertaining...his fucking name is weiner hahaha unreal.
Old 29 August 2016, 16:12
Been There Done That

so he was catfished by a Republican dude...?

LOL

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 29 August 2016, 16:19

My secret sexting alter ego, Ignacio Peril, is now going to have to pick up the slack from Carlos Danger.

Although on the other hand, since he's no longer being weighed down by the ball and chain of marriage, Weiner will probably just increase the tempo.
Old 29 August 2016, 16:24
Midgetologist

Some people never learn lol.
Old 29 August 2016, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

Much like Mustafa in Austin Powers, she apparently can't handle three scandals in a row...
Old 29 August 2016, 19:28
War on Christmas veteran

Dumping him came as no surprise.

As the current idiocy relates to the film of this thread... it is completely obvious from watching the film that, while she may have forgiven the first scandal, she never actually forgave him for the second one.
She simply stayed quiet and kept a polite distance to not further fuck up his political aspirations during his campaign... but her demeanor screamed "stay the fuck away from me when the cameras aren't around."
When strike three came this week, it was no surprise she DX'ed him.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 29 August 2016, 21:02
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
His wife clearly loves the guy. With the cameras on she has every opportunity to show she is not Tammy Wynette standing by her man (cross thread points?).
I didn't want to say anything but I was wondering if we were watching the same documentary. This is what I saw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
it is completely obvious from watching the film that, while she may have forgiven the first scandal, she never actually forgave him for the second one.
She simply stayed quiet and kept a polite distance to not further fuck up his political aspirations during his campaign... but her demeanor screamed "stay the fuck away from me when the cameras aren't around."
That body language didn't seem too subtle to me... Given her day job, I can only imagine the conversation after the camera guys left for the day.

Our new posting rules