Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 22 September 2016, 03:18
Confirmed User

India/Pakistan

I have been reading a bit about the latest tensions between the two. I know their war history, but am not up to date on current military and political standings. I guess my question is whether this has a significant potential to boil over into a shooting war.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/asia/i...ict/index.html
Old 22 September 2016, 07:41
Been There Done That

Kashmir

Kashmir has been a source of contention since the two countries split.

The verbal exchanges go up and down in intensity and back and forth continually.

I don't think either country wants a war but somebody could make a mistake and the dog fight would be on.
Old 22 September 2016, 07:43
All Labs Matter

Potential? Bombastic rhetoric and periodic shootings are the norm in Kashmir...they have managed to keep a lid on it for decades. But there is always the potential of turning into something MUCH bigger.

Last edited by The Corporate Guy; 22 September 2016 at 07:59.
Old 15 October 2016, 00:50
Been There Done That

Who has the most nukes?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 October 2016, 15:13
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
Who has the most nukes?
Between the two, India does, but Pakistan has plenty enough to vaporize enough of India to provide a reasonable deterrent.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 15 October 2016, 15:17
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Between the two, India does, but Pakistan has plenty enough to vaporize enough of India to provide a reasonable deterrent.
Every time I think about Pakistan possessing nuclear weapons it's amazing to me all over again.
Old 15 October 2016, 15:31
Make a desert and call it peace.

It was heavily supported by China as a method of attacking India indirectly. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Im about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnt do if you still had your weapons." L. Neil Smith
Old 15 October 2016, 23:58
Been There Done That

I think the U.S. Govt has been really friendly with India lately . If India had a better handle on their human rights abuses... the relationship would be even friendlier.

Old 16 October 2016, 21:04
All Labs Matter

Not so sure India wants or needs the friendlier relations...
Old 18 October 2016, 00:30
Anesthetized User

Being close to the Gulf of Kutch in 1998 during their nuke testing was interesting.

Support SOCNET.
Old 18 October 2016, 01:46
Been There Done That

I wish they'd get it over with and kill each other already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronErik View Post
I have been reading a bit about the latest tensions between the two. I know their war history, but am not up to date on current military and political standings. I guess my question is whether this has a significant potential to boil over into a shooting war.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/asia/i...ict/index.html
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 18 October 2016, 02:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I wish they'd get it over with and kill each other already.
WARMONGER!

Old 18 October 2016, 06:29
A/1/75

The Russians sell a lot of stuff to them, lots of joint ventures.
I'd pick the Indians as the winner of the two.
But yes how many times do the border guards engage each other.....

Charlie
Old 18 October 2016, 22:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
The Russians sell a lot of stuff to them, lots of joint ventures.
I'd pick the Indians as the winner of the two.
But yes how many times do the border guards engage each other.....

I agree. Pakistan can't or won't control the bad guys in their country now.

Old 20 October 2016, 02:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy View Post
Not so sure India wants or needs the friendlier relations...
I agree with this from the perspective that in general, India wants better relations with everyone, which means it won't tilt hard in any particular direction unless something dramatically changes in the region. That's one reason why their military gear is a mix of every major weapon producing nation. Buy and trade with everyone...

It's always been a complicated relationship depending upon the time/era and involves lots of players - us, Britain, France, Russia, China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Israel, Japan, Afghanistan, Iran, UAE, Non-Aligned Movement, The British Commonwealth, WTO,...

Some history documented on a past thread here.
Old 20 October 2016, 07:33
Make a desert and call it peace.

India wants good relations with everyone so that they keep taking their people. They're doing the slow empire invasion strategy like the Han Chinese did/are doing. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Im about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnt do if you still had your weapons." L. Neil Smith
Old 21 October 2016, 00:50
Confirmed User

That's one of the myriad of reasons. The Indian diaspora is the largest in the world at about 16-24 million, depending upon if you count the people exported for labor, civil service, or police/military during the expansion of the British Empire. Considering a 1.3 billion population, that's still a drop in the bucket at just over a percent to two. Revenue wise, its decent coin. The shift has been mostly towards the middle east for labor.

Secondarily, long term strategy and India don't exist in the same universe. For a slow invasion strategy, it would actually require a group to decide, agree, and commit to something over a period of time. Practically impossible within the context of subcontinental politics. The subcontinent is on the high end of a heterogeneous population make up, therefore unity in thought or direction isn't really there, hence the difficulty of committing to any direction, let alone any strategy. Considering the population size, linguistic, religious, ethnic, social, tribal, political, and cultural subgroups its akin to the continent of Europe or Africa stuffed into one country. Current day India has only been under the dominion of one rule now and under the British, Mughal, Delhi Sultanate, Gupta, and Mauryan empires spread over a few thousand years.

To the subject of this thread, the British should have never drawn a line between India, Pakistan (and Bangladesh), rather let the local leaders arm wrestle it out longer to some consensus. It eventually would have shaken out to some state of cohesion by the dominant factor, whether religion or language. Even the military (the most unified group during partition) has the same colonial structure lineage. Another perspective - India and Pakistan could be considered a state of civil war that never ended post Britain, though memories of the partition do fade with time; that was the biggest single mass migration in the history of the world at 10-14 million.
Old 21 October 2016, 02:09
Confirmed User

This article by William Dalrymple, a well known South Asian historian, is a good synopsis on my note regarding the partition and India/Pakistan being in a long running state of civil war.
Old 21 October 2016, 12:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Kashmir has been a source of contention since the two countries split.

The verbal exchanges go up and down in intensity and back and forth continually.

I don't think either country wants a war but somebody could make a mistake and the dog fight would be on.
It is too bad, as Kashmir is one of the most beautiful and coolest places I have ever visited.

Hard to believe how long the conflict has been going on there, on and off over the years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 30 October 2016, 14:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
WARMONGER!
Actually, I share the same opinion. Between this and that other thread which smp52 linked, I haven't seen a peep about India's 1961 annexation of Goa. Given that Goa had been Portuguese territory for more than 450 years, and that the Portuguese had a valid argument that present-day India had no legitimate claim, NATO -- of which Portugal remains a member -- missed an opportunity to put upstart India in its place once and for all. But with "Winds of Change" and all that....

Our new posting rules