Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 26 December 2016, 17:46
Drawing my cutlass

Blade Runner 2049

Ridley Scott is directing and Harrison Ford is back as Deckard, still, I don't know how they are going to come close to matching the iconic original. Hopefully, they won't sacrifice story for CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_JAMRKzEHs

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 26 December 2016, 18:06
Deplorable

10.6.17!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGH!

What a major jones.

- whatever.

[Ridley Scott's work will likley be worth the wait tho]
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 26 December 2016, 18:20
Genetically Deplorable

Hard to believe the original is almost 35 yrs old!
Old 26 December 2016, 20:23
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs down

Ridley Scott is NOT directing.

I also wish Hollywood would leave its classic films alone and stop doing sequels or prequels that only dilute the original by association.

I was a scifi nerd as a young teenager and followed the original during its production, through magazines made for nerds like me, like Cinescape and Starlog.
I went to see Blade Runner on opening day and I can still remember my reaction.
I wasn't just a scifi nerd... I was also a total film geek, into going to see old films at the revival theaters. I was one of those kids who was so into film, I would take notice of the camera movements and lighting, along with other subtle things, like the way framing might get tighter to heighten the tension of a scene.
Yeah, I know... nerd.

Blade Runner blew my mind when it came out... not so much the story... I grew up reading tons of scifi and sentient artificial beings grappling with their mortality wasn't a new concept... but the cybernoir visuals and style of Blade Runner were just fucking brilliant... Ridley Scott at his absolute best.
And some of the dialog is just brilliant

But just from this trailer, it is clear that they are already betraying the vision of the original.

There are two very different versions of Blade Runner... not counting later slightly extended or CGI added versions.

...the original theatrical cut that the studio forced on Ridley Scott... and his version, that was released theatrically a few years later.

The differences may seem minimal, but they make for two very different films.
The director's cut includes an extra 15 seconds, or so, of footage... a dream while Harrison Ford's Deckard character drunkenly drifts off playing piano... the dream is a unicorn running across a stream. The director's cut also disposes of the two things the studio insisted on adding... the one minute happy ending, showing Rachel and Deckard driving away to live happily ever after... and the tough guy Mickey Spillane style voice over narration by Harrison Ford throughout the movie.

Watching the movie without the voice over makes it darker and richer... Harrison Ford's Deckard character is no longer a hardboiled detective... without the tough guy voice over, you see the character the way he was meant to be... a scared lonely, even a little cowardly, drunken fuck up who, by the second half of the film, is questioning everything about himself.
The removal of the happy ending and the added unicorn dream changes the ending completely.
The film doesn't close with Deckard and Rachel happily driving through the mountains.
It ends with the elevator doors slamming shut on them moments after Deckard realizes he is also a replicant. The last shot is the two of them scared and on the run, knowing they don't have long to live.

Replicants can only live a few years.
In the original theatrical release, with the studio forced, voice over... during the tacked on happy ending scene, Deckard's voice over also conveniently adds that Rachel was a special replicant who could live a long time.
But in the director's cut... the way the story was intended to be... no replicants live ling.
In fact, Tyrell explains very clearly, to Batty, that it is impossible to extend the lives of replicants beyond a few years.

The trailer for this new fucking Blade Runner movie shows Harrison Ford's Deckard character as an old man.
So that means that replicants magically can age and live long lives... or that they completely threw out the vision of the original film and made Deckard a human after all.
Either way, it is clear from this trailer that they are disregarding key elements that were established in the original.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 1 October 2017, 17:47
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

This sequel is going to clock in at 2hr 43m running time, almost an hour more than the classic original. That is either a good thing, or the kiss of death.

We'll find out in less than a week.
Old 2 October 2017, 09:10
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
Your post.
I saw Blade Runner when I was a kid, and it completely blew my mind. This was when Harrison Ford was in just about everything big (Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.). All of the movies that he was in at that time were visual masterpieces, and most took around 3 years to make. I recall him saying that he hated making Blade Runner, and that he would never do the sequel. I too was geeked out for Sci-Fi in its infancy. Guys like Ralph McQuarie that did most of the artwork and matte paintings were cinematic gods. They were able to take painted scenery, and create a seamless transition to film. Ahhhh. I do so very much miss the days of 70mm. Looking forward to the 2049 sequel.
Old 3 October 2017, 00:16
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

There has long been speculation that the Ridley Scott films Blade Runner and Alien happen within the same imaginative universe with similar ideas about androids.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 3 October 2017, 03:40
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
There has long been speculation that the Ridley Scott films Blade Runner and Alien happen within the same imaginative universe with similar ideas about androids.
Damn you...now I won't be able to sleep tonight, just thinking about this concept.
Old 4 October 2017, 17:52

I saw a very short trailer for it the other night, it has a really similar look to the original, dark and rainy and washed out.

It could be pretty good, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the movie ends with the revelation that everybody is a replicant of one kind or another.
Old 4 October 2017, 20:09
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I personally love the idea.
Old 4 October 2017, 20:12
Authorized Personnel

I saw the original, but like most of the 80's, it's a bit hazy in my memory.
Old 4 October 2017, 21:05
Spice Weasel

Eh...I dunno. The trailer doesn't really grab me, and the fact that they're hanging 100 foot banners off hotels in Phoenix says they're spending a bunch of money on marketing, and that is usually a bad sign.
Old 5 October 2017, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Eh...I dunno. The trailer doesn't really grab me, and the fact that they're hanging 100 foot banners off hotels in Phoenix says they're spending a bunch of money on marketing, and that is usually a bad sign.
These days, that's just the nature of the beast for big movie releases like this.

When a budget for a movie approaches $200 million, studios don't want to leave any stone unturned when it comes to marketing. I'll bet the marketing budget alone is $20-30 million.
Old 5 October 2017, 17:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Not actively marketing a $200m movie on every possible platform is a surefire way to lose a lot of money. YMMV.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 5 October 2017, 19:31
Authorized Personnel

Marketing of film is about the Distribution rights. If you take a look over at IMDB for this work, you'll see the Distro network itself is much larger than the production side.
I always thought Film production was 'the' big deal until I got schooled on Distro.
Old 5 October 2017, 21:25
Authorized Personnel

I got tickets at the local iPics for 11am manana. :D
Old 6 October 2017, 00:43
Confirmed User

Just saw it. It was pretty good but long (2.5 hrs). Good to see Harrison Ford again. I liked how Los Angeles in 2049 is portrayed. I grew up in LA and it is definitely headed in this direction.
Old 9 October 2017, 09:36
Confirmed User

I saw it this weekend and think it was great. The cinematography was off the charts good and Ryan Gosling nailed it.

Sure, it slowed a little after the middle but there something compelling in every scene.

The only detractor I have is the character of Wallace. I don't know if it was the actor (jared Leto) or his direction but he was the least believable character in the movie.

Dave Bautista was awesome in his brief appearance.
Old 9 October 2017, 10:29
Been There Done That

Saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 October 2017, 20:55
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Saw it on Saturday. Thought it was definitely worth seeing (Only movie I've seen in the theater this year).
Not as groundbreaking as the original, but a far better sequel than Prometheus, for example.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt

Our new posting rules