Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 18 February 2017, 11:04
Been There Done That

The Crown

On Netflix

The Crown covers the progression of Queen Elizabeth II, from just after WWII onward.

I'm two episodes in and find it so far to be absolutely amazing.

As an aside, America needs a true Winston Churchill. Really.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 February 2017, 11:35
Been There Done That

I saw this and thought was gong to be kind of either dry, like many British dramas, or kind of like a "soap opera". But, if you like it, may have to give it a shot. Good historical drama and not your typical British dry soap opera type of show?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 February 2017, 12:23
Violent Social Worker

I really enjoyed it. It's a very well done family drama where that family is the Windsors.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 18 February 2017, 12:27
Secure The Victory!

I really enjoyed the detail given to the opulence of the residences and buildings, as well as the sheer number of footmen!! And if John Lithgow doesn't receive an Emmy nomination, let alone win, for his portrayal of Churchill, it will be a shame.
Old 18 February 2017, 21:34
Confirmed User

I enjoyed it, my wife and I bing watched it during a snowstorm. I mostly started watching it to see John Lithgow as Winston Churchill, as that was pretty much the only thing I knew about the show before I started watching it, but really enjoyed pretty much everything about the show.
Old 18 February 2017, 23:40
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Make that seven episodes in, and my opinion has not changed.

A must-see, indeed.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 February 2017, 14:01

Just started it last night. 2 episodes in and I'm hooked.

Really good cast. Jared Harris as King George and Lithgow as Churchill. Seriously good acting...
Old 19 February 2017, 17:22
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Do they cover her initiation into the Illuminati in Season 1, or do I have to wait until a later season for that story to unfold?

I've actually got this on reserve, it sounds like a good series, although I imagine they've dramatized it a bit to keep the dry historical aspects on simmer.

I also thought The Queen with Helen Mirren was pretty decent, covered that period of time after Tony Blair was elected PM and Princess Diana died, and people were speculating that the monarchy was in danger of collapsing.
Old 20 February 2017, 16:42
Confirmed User

John Lithgow should get an Emmy for sure. He is amazing as Churchill.
Old 20 February 2017, 17:26
In Vino Veritas

I'm finding it kind of slow. I started it before and after rereading this thread tried to give it another shot, not working out for me.
Old 20 February 2017, 17:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I'm finding it kind of slow. I started it before and after rereading this thread tried to give it another shot, not working out for me.
Yep, I agree. Got about half way through the first episode. Not for me. Like one of those dry British dramas. Meh....

I guess if you are really into modern British history or a fan of the royal family, which I really could care less about, you would find it interesting.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 20 February 2017, 17:59
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I mentioned in another thread about the royal family a report I read that Charles has his valet/butler squeeze the toothpaste out of its tube for him. Back in Elizabeth's early years, the butler's probably brushed their teeth.

Sounds pretty exciting to me.
Old 31 March 2017, 21:26
Life is simple, not easy.

I only got 1.5 episodes in last time I tried to watch this because I guess it wasn't something I was into at the time.
But I am glad I gave this another shot.
Just finished up episode 4 and I really like this show.

Some interesting parts of history I never studied that are very fun to learn, and the mother of King George (Albert) is quite a fascinating character so far.
Of course Lithgow is doing a fine job.
The actor who plays King George is from Mad Men - Jared Harris.
I like Claire Foy in the character of QE II.

I had to push through the first episode and - 1/2 but after that I am starting to enjoy this show. It definitely has its own pace which took time to get used to for sure.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 1 April 2017, 02:41
Psalm 91:2

I've started watching & so far I like it.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 18 September 2017, 22:53
Secure The Victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV74RU78 View Post
I really enjoyed the detail given to the opulence of the residences and buildings, as well as the sheer number of footmen!! And if John Lithgow doesn't receive an Emmy nomination, let alone win, for his portrayal of Churchill, it will be a shame.
Congratulations to John Lithgow - Outstanding Supporting Actor!!
Old 19 September 2017, 08:18
Confirmed User

My wife is an anglophile, so we watched it. It started slow enough, but by the end I really liked it. It was good to follow with Victoria on PBS.

Our new posting rules