Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 7 March 2017, 19:17
Spice Weasel

Star Trek: Discovery

Nerd Alert. A new installment in the Star Trek television franchise is supposed to premier in May. It's set 10 years before The Original Series. CBS is producing it, and it's apparently going straight to Netflix and CBS All Access. I would have preferred a new television series based on the new universe, but it will be interesting to see how they build up this series. The plot is supposed to surround an event that is referred to in Star Trek canon, but which has never been explored.

Trailer here.
Old 7 March 2017, 22:55
Calix Meus Inebrians

It's not going to be on Netflix in the US. CBS wants to push people to pay for their all access streaming service, so it will be hosted there after a premier on network TV. I remember how this got delayed, and I'd even expect it to get delayed further since the "trailer" doesn't have any footage or CGI from an actual episode.

I'm not holding my breath or getting my hopes up.
Old 24 September 2017, 21:43
Secure The Victory!

The first episode was broadcast on CBS free TV, and the 1st 4 are available streaming on CBSAA. I enjoyed it for the most part. "Sasha" from The Walking Dead is the main character. A human, raised by Sarek after Klingons killed her folks in a raid, shows mix of Vulcan and human traits. Klingons are very clunky, slower and thicker of speech than in other series/movies. But, not going to subscribe just for this. Hopefully, free trial period will still be available when all episodes are streaming, so I can binge.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:22
Been There Done That

OK, Trek fan from way back.

With her background I thought the mutiny bit was a little over the top.

Klingons, blip, blip, blip, etc - Star Fleet, blip, blip, blip, etc. Doesn't look like there will be anyone to prosecute her next episode.

Kinda' liked The Orville better but I'll give it a couple more episodes.
Old 25 September 2017, 20:08
Calix Meus Inebrians

As skeptical as I was that this show would ever get to a pilot, much less past one, I was impressed. The ugly uniforms and changes to the Klingons and their culture from established story lines aside, it was a good hour of TV. Visually it's stunning, and the acting was good as well. Not pay for CBS all access good, but here's hoping they realize the mistake that was before long and team with Netflix US to stream it.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:36
Confirmed User

Boom!

First time Netflix outside the US gets the good news.

I'm a Star Trek junkie since day 1, and can generally seperate the good from the junk.

While I wouldn't call it the epic Star Trek TNG "Best of Both Worlds" battle with the Borg at Wolf 359, it's a pretty solid start.

Excellent production values, solid casting, good story so far.

I'll continue watching.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 26 September 2017, 23:08
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
As skeptical as I was that this show would ever get to a pilot, much less past one, I was impressed. The ugly uniforms and changes to the Klingons and their culture from established story lines aside, it was a good hour of TV. Visually it's stunning, and the acting was good as well.
It's obvious they're trying to prequel the new movies rather than fit into the old canon, though. The show would fit roughly ten years or so after the USS Kelvin was destroyed, and I think it fits into the alternate timeline better than the original series canon.

I can forgive them for the changes to the Klingons to a degree, and I can see where it might fit in both original and alternate timelines. According to an episode in Deep Space Nine, Klingons experimented with Klingon-human hybridization with some interesting results--as in 24th century humans did not recognize the hybrids as Klingons. The TNG generation of Klingons might be a transitional phase back to the original species, which we may actually be seeing for the "first" time. That explanation doesn't quite fit the Enterprise Klingons, but who knows what kind of genetic experiments they were doing.

I also think it's cool that Roddenberry's son is involved, even if it's just the executive producer credit.
Old 28 September 2017, 00:29
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
It's obvious they're trying to prequel the new movies rather than fit into the old canon, though. The show would fit roughly ten years or so after the USS Kelvin was destroyed, and I think it fits into the alternate timeline better than the original series canon.

I can forgive them for the changes to the Klingons to a degree, and I can see where it might fit in both original and alternate timelines. According to an episode in Deep Space Nine, Klingons experimented with Klingon-human hybridization with some interesting results--as in 24th century humans did not recognize the hybrids as Klingons. The TNG generation of Klingons might be a transitional phase back to the original species, which we may actually be seeing for the "first" time. That explanation doesn't quite fit the Enterprise Klingons, but who knows what kind of genetic experiments they were doing.

I also think it's cool that Roddenberry's son is involved, even if it's just the executive producer credit.
Everything I've read says that Discovery is supposed to be in the prime timeline, instead of the Kelvin timeline...so they're going to have to make sure the aren't trying to push round pegs into square holes all over the place. I'm trying to set aside the aesthetic part of it all since set design, graphics, CGI, and all that jazz are leaps and bounds better than even the most recent series in Enterprise. Also, I recognize that using looks similar to the movies are to help bring in viewers that came into Trek because of the recent movies. My biggest gripes are with this newfound view of Klingon culture that may or may not jive with the Klingons up to their introduction in TOS episode, Errand of Mercy, but hasn't been in line with anything learned about Klingon culture in other series.

As to the look of the Klingons, the DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations episode just left it in the air about the physical look of the Klingons with Worf saying they don't discuss it with outsiders, where an Enterprise two parter (Affliction and Divergence) in Season 4 set up a story where Klingon experiments with human augment DNA (think Khan) resulted in a virus that was killing Klingons. The cure left them looking like humans, with the prediction that the old Klingon look would reassert itself in a few generations (to line it up with The Motion Picture change in the Klingons).

Yes...I'm a geek.
Old 6 October 2017, 23:04
Psalm 91:2

I don't like it. And it's just bad & I'm NOT doing CBS all access. Spoilers:

The insubordination to the captain & mutiny were terrible. Although human she was raised by Sarek and taught the Vulcan way yet is insubordinate, argumentative and emotional. Her getting into a space suit & zooming over was stupid. Why not use a probe? Her having a hologram chat with Sarek & he casually happens to sit on a chair in her cabin. What? Did he have the exact furniture arrangement where he was? And on and on. And she has a telepathic link to Sarek across light years? They rig a body with an explosive device? It just doesn't look like the Star Trek universe. It's dark. Too dark for Star Trek unless you're JJ Abrams and do not understand the Trek universe.

Writers & character development aren't fleshed out enough because they are trying to be too politically correct. The diversity comes across as forced and so obvious as to make a point. It's like they were going down a PC check list when creating characters. It just doesn't flow and look genuine. Women, women everywhere (supposed to be strong kick ass women but come across as emotional and reckless). I'm all for having strong female characters but to me they don't come across that way. LGBT storyline. Check! Cowardly science officer. Check! Males seem to be an afterthought. Check! They even threw in PTSD. Check!

Yeah Roddenberry had a quasi-utopian diverse PC viewpoint but it was kept in balance with banter among the characters, humor and science and exploration. This doesn't have that.

Pardon my language but they fucked up the Klingons big time! And give me a break with the sub-titles. Prequel original Star Trek they had no ridges. In Klingon canon the ridges were from a virus. This is almost the most egregious in my opinion. Hell they don't even have hair. The aggressive, heavy drinking let's get it on Klingons were the best part of the previous Star Trek series and movies. And BTW they offered Michael Dorn the role of Worf's great great grandfather but were only willing to pay him less than one percent of what he was paid for his last Worf role. Talk about a slap in the face.

You can tell Michael Westmore wasn't involved in the special effects makeup and designing new aliens. The original Star Trek runner from previous series was pushed out & new people brought in and it shows in the final product.

Gene Roddenberry is rolling over in his grave.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 9 October 2017, 05:50
Confirmed User

The latest episode had this: Captain Lorca was telling Michael about some the people who have contributed to Scientific Achievements and he mentioned this name: Elon Musk. I said to my computer: "AHHHHHH". I then logged off from Netflix. Enough of this latest Star Trek franchise.
Old 9 October 2017, 06:32
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Other than the movie reboots, I think they've milked the TV versions as far as they can. That well has run dry.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
Pardon my language but they fucked up the Klingons big time! And give me a break with the sub-titles. Prequel original Star Trek they had no ridges. In Klingon canon the ridges were from a virus. This is almost the most egregious in my opinion. Hell they don't even have hair. The aggressive, heavy drinking let's get it on Klingons were the best part of the previous Star Trek series and movies. And BTW they offered Michael Dorn the role of Worf's great great grandfather but were only willing to pay him less than one percent of what he was paid for his last Worf role. Talk about a slap in the face.

You can tell Michael Westmore wasn't involved in the special effects makeup and designing new aliens. The original Star Trek runner from previous series was pushed out & new people brought in and it shows in the final product.

Gene Roddenberry is rolling over in his grave.
I agree that they did, but reverting back to 60's level production value isn't practical. Ditching the version of the heavy drinking, warrior culture we have seen from the 80's original cast movies through TNG was stupid. This is allegedly prime canon, so I can see the argument to go back to that style to a degree. It's just annoying we've seen what four different versions of them 60's version, 80's/90's, JJ Abrams version and now this new one.

Roddenberry also floated the idea of a show taking place before the original series. He was also always open to other people telling the stories. So I don't know about rolling over in his grave.

But this has just left me questioning them going to a long serialized storyline, not that I hated the idea in Enterprise. I just don't know why they would go with a war with the Klingons. Seems limited and almost stale.

Then there's the fictional tech, they are basically doing space fold jumps. Something that really surpasses anything that was done routinely in other shows/movies. Yes, we've seen a lot of time travel over the years. But being able to jump these distances basically routinely like this instantly, before anything else took place is asinine to me.

But visually it's topnotch regarding effects or about what I would expect for TV today.

The streaming arrangement is going to be a disaster. I'm guessing it will be licensed to someone else for streaming or they are going to sell a lot of physical copies and digital downloads. I'm just really curious how this ends up financially.
Old 11 October 2017, 04:26
Psalm 91:2

I love me some Klingons from TNG, DS9 etc. Those were my favorite episodes.

I really did try to set everything aside and wanted to like this series but I just can’t. I really don’t like anything about it. The tech & “science” are more advanced than TNG, DS9 & Voyager & doesn’t appear to make sense. At least the others made you believe the science behind the storylines.

Add in the freaking All Access & poof I am done. Netflix Canada can watch but not the USA.

Writers had a PC checklist they went down when doing the characters instead of making sure they were great characters given good storylines with great dialogue.

Oh hell now I need me some Romulan Ale. This disruption of the Trek universe is a vast right wing conspiracy created by the Tal Shiar.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 11 October 2017, 05:53
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSchooldropout View Post
The latest episode had this: Captain Lorca was telling Michael about some the people who have contributed to Scientific Achievements and he mentioned this name: Elon Musk. I said to my computer: "AHHHHHH". I then logged off from Netflix. Enough of this latest Star Trek franchise.
So a TV script mentions a successful Silicon Valley CEO and you rage quit the show? What am I missing here.
Old 11 October 2017, 06:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
So a TV script mentions a successful Silicon Valley CEO and you rage quit the show? What am I missing here.
Sorry to have offended you. I have some personal experience with two of this Scientific Legends Companies. This is the basis of my "Rage". Who knows maybe history will put Mr. Musk on the same level as Einstein?
Old 11 October 2017, 07:26
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSchooldropout View Post
Sorry to have offended you.
Old 11 October 2017, 10:01
On the Extract Bird

Glad there's a majority of internet reviews all detailing what a fucking dumpster fire this "TV show" SJW propaganda piece is. Complete with clips so I don't have to waste my life finding out for myself.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:21
Confirmed User

I really don't get the SJW complaints other than this being another show with a black lead character. The captain is white, not all the crew is even human I really just don't get that criticism as being as forceful as its being made out to be.

I find greater issue with the actual stale story of another war with Klingons. Using fictional science that is more advanced than any of the other iterations of the franchise. It's not the first time some version of the material has shown Starfleet to be caught completely with it's pants down but this seems next level in that regard, while being a retread. We've also seen the blurred line or cover of "Science" vessel vs. exploration kind of told ad nauseam at this point.

The construct of the lead as an over the top rebel with strong to stubborn moral convictions comes off as a Kirk wannabe on steroids. I don't care of the characters gender or race. It's the actions and motivations. Then the almost Spock II origin a human or half human half vulcan officer torn between the two cultures, again a stale retread. Which takes away from what was supposed to be odd to unprecedented about Spock or T'Pol.

While I don't agree with Spinner that the well has run dry, I think you still have to try. I don't think they did or tried hard enough. I personally would have enjoyed a show more focused on the MACOs. Set anywhere before TOS. They were a side piece in ST: Enterprise and were part of the background of the main villain in Star Trek: Beyond. It's an unexploited part of the franchise.
Old 11 October 2017, 14:23
On the Extract Bird

Go to Youtube, search for "star trek discovery reviews" and watch. Here's one that goes into a bit of detail. Hell, the creator himself even said he modeled the Klingons as 'Trump supporters'. About the only praise some had were for some pretty legit CGI effects.

Quote:
I don't care of the characters gender or race. It's the actions and motivations.
You are not the intended target audience. If you remember watching the old Kirk/Shatner version, this isn't made for you. It's made for all the little socialist kiddos slurping up the political undertones within the show's subtext with their little soft-skulled pliable minds.

Our new posting rules