Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 25 May 2017, 19:18

USA intelligence leaks causing problems with Brits

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...bombing-leaks/

The world’s closest intelligence sharing arrangement is in jeopardy after key details and photographs from the Manchester bombing were apparently leaked by United States’s law enforcement sources to domestic journalists, leaving Manchester Police and the British government — who are collecting and analysing the finds — “furious”.
The United Kingdom has now stopped passing intelligence gathered as part of the investigation into the Manchester bombing to the United States according to claims made by the British state broadcaster BBC.

While British police had discovered the identity of Salman Abedi, the suicide bomber who killed 22 in Manchester on Monday, the name was withheld from the media initially for operational reasons. Yet less than 24 hours after the attack took place, American newspapers citing “government sources” were able to name the attacker.

Later further leaked intelligence including detailed crime scene information, and photographs of shrapnel, a backpack, and a battery were released by The New York Times. The BBC report states the “likely” culprit of the leaks are U.S. law enforcement officials who will have received access to the data through the transatlantic ‘Five Eyes’ intelligence sharing agreement, rather than the White House.

The nature and speed of the leaks by these U.S. officials have caused “disbelief and astonishment” in the British government.

The ‘Five Eyes’ intelligence sharing agreement, a treaty that dates back to the Second World War between the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand means the involved nations have total unrestricted access to each other’s intelligence collection efforts. The geographical positions of the involved nations and their various ex-colonial outposts make the agreement not just unparalleled in openness, but also in global coverage for signals and other intelligence.

The agreement does, however, rely on each nation also respecting the security of each other’s intelligence — a principle that appears to have been seriously transgressed in this case.

Britain’s Daily Telegraph reports in the U.S. that officials with access to the shared Five Eyes intelligence “were openly briefing the media on what they had been told about Abedi and his ‘cell of Isis-inspired terrorists'”.

The British Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to meet United States President Donald Trump at a NATO meeting today, and it is reported she will be raising concerns over the leaks with him there.
Old 25 May 2017, 19:58
Preparing to defend

Magician has railed for years about "Five Eyes". If we can't keep better secrets than this, we need to be castigated. Unacceptable. This last parting shot to share intel data by the last administration is killing us. IMHO, too much sharing, gets names unmasked and other countries investigations compromised.
Old 25 May 2017, 20:56

Ideally information sharing could work but it won't if leakers divulge information because of political ideologies. Information leaks out as fast as it comes in and that could destroy this country.
Old 25 May 2017, 21:25
BTDT

POTUS 44 cultivated a climate that treated information flow like the entire information superhighway was just one huge facebook page.
He came from a generation that thumbed a collective nose at our government and has praised and pardoned the likes of bErgdahl and mAnning...

There are no secrets unless it is information being used to manipulate the truth or attack political opponents. The very reason that no one cares about the leaks, they care about the embarrassment that the leaks have caused.
Why is anyone acting like this is unexpected?

freedom of the press and all that jazz

jibber jabber jibber jabbering, mumbo jumbo, denial, key-key-key-key-key-key
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 25 May 2017, 21:30
What could possibly go wrong?

This issue is going to have very serious consequences if they can't get control of it.
Old 25 May 2017, 21:46
Administrator

Pretty cheap and easy way for the deep state to embarass this administration on the world stage with our closest ally. Well played actually. The leaker should be shot, but you gotta admit, well played.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 25 May 2017, 23:36
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Pretty cheap and easy way for the deep state to embarass this administration on the world stage with our closest ally. Well played actually. The leaker should be shot, but you gotta admit, well played.
That sums it up. Information is a discrete commodity. There is no longer any compunction about leaking. No consideration for long-term effects, just it's immediate value.
But we don't shoot leakers. For better or worse.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 26 May 2017, 07:34
Confirmed User

I wonder if POTUS will have to turn to a foreign intelligence service like MI5 to find out whose doing the leaking in our own government.

Oops sorry, thought I was in the Random Thoughts thread....
Old 26 May 2017, 08:25
Confirmed User

while driving to work this morning heard that 3 leakers have been identified and will be fired, why only fired, will have to find a print story.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:27
Old and Grumpy

The question to ask here, was it the Intelligence services doing the leaking or was it someone on POTUS's staff doing the leaking? The two sides have been at odds since the start of the term.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:43
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet65 View Post
while driving to work this morning heard that 3 leakers have been identified and will be fired, why only fired, will have to find a print story.
Breitbart reported it as a tweet from Trey Yingst, but has not independently confirmed Yingst's report.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Breitbart reported it as a tweet from Trey Yingst, but has not independently confirmed Yingst's report.

Well someone with FVEY access had to leak it to him.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 29 May 2017, 23:55
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
But we don't shoot leakers. For better or worse.
Someone forgot to tell Seth Rich that.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 30 May 2017, 00:17
Been There Done That

oh_snap.gif
Old 30 May 2017, 07:43
Administrator

The leak sucks, but the Brits acting all self righteous is laughable. It's not like they haven't leaked our info and won't do it again.
Old 30 May 2017, 11:13
Been There Done That

I think Gavin is involved somehow.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 31 May 2017, 03:58
Orbi tertio spumae

You guys have a civil war under way.
Old 31 May 2017, 11:06
BTDT

...ha - nothing civil about SJW politics and the disregard for the law
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 1 June 2017, 10:11
A Texan in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
The leak sucks, but the Brits acting all self righteous is laughable. It's not like they haven't leaked our info and won't do it again.
And at least some of the info reported in US papers was leaked by British sources not US
Old 1 June 2017, 16:51
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post

You guys have a civil war under way.
Sad but true. It just hasn't gone kinetic yet...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Our new posting rules