Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 28 July 2017, 20:29
Been There Done That

UNABOMBER

I know. It doesn't start until Aug 1st. Premieres on Discovery Channel at 9PM. 8 part series about this incredibly smart genius who has a hard on against the establishment and loves explosives.

I was really into the FBI's hunt for this guy in the 90's during his reign of terror. I saw a good documentary about this year's ago. This special is really supposed to get into the story from all aspects. I will be watching and recording the series nightly.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 28 July 2017, 21:23
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

If they hadn't decided to release his manifesto, he might still be out there.
Old 28 July 2017, 21:57
Been There Done That

Damn. Where did I put mine?

Old 30 July 2017, 09:24
Been There Done That

The apparently spared no expense. I'm looking forward to this mini series.
Old 30 July 2017, 17:22
Secure The Victory!

I'm interested from a local interest. One of his victims was bombed right around the corner from my home. That house, BTW, was right next door to the house they used for the external shots of Tony Soprano's home.
Old 30 July 2017, 19:52
Red Headed Stepchild

We used to camp not too far from where he lived, was pretty wild when he was arrested. Small town Montana didn't make the national news ever in those days.
Old 30 July 2017, 21:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfrogTX View Post
The apparently spared no expense. I'm looking forward to this mini series.
I already gave the spouse unit a warning order. Either get into it, or I call dibs on the bedroom TV thoughout the series.

Old 1 August 2017, 23:07
Been There Done That

1st episode started out during his 6 yr hiatus with no bombs. I remember then that the consensus was he died or was incarcerated. When he re-emerged they looked at every convict that had served during that six yr time.

Wasn't sure how this was gonna play out starting there. Looks like a bunch of flash forwards, flash backwards. But apparently now being interviewed by the profiler while in custody, it will probably go back to his childhood until capture.

Old 2 August 2017, 00:11
Authorized Personnel

I liked it. Hopped around a bit too much, but I think I'm going to dig it.

I wanted to reach thru the tv and put the he-man-bitchslap on those two FBI guys in charge.
Old 2 August 2017, 00:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I liked it. Hopped around a bit too much, but I think I'm going to dig it.

I wanted to reach thru the tv and put the he-man-bitchslap on those two FBI guys in charge.

Boy did they initially profile him wrong. Uneducated, high school dropout, underachiever working at or former airline employee.

Old 2 August 2017, 07:21
Confirmed User

I thought it was good enough to tune in next week, though I didn't care for the jumping back and forth in time. Sam Worthington and Paul Bellamy and pretty good actors, so there should be some good scenes between them as this goes forward.
Old 2 August 2017, 07:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I thought it was good enough to tune in next week, though I didn't care for the jumping back and forth in time. Sam Worthington and Paul Bellamy and pretty good actors, so there should be some good scenes between them as this goes forward.
Roger, I agree. I think they were just setting up the plot for the remainder of the episodes. Will probably now follow him from childhood to capture.

Old 6 August 2017, 18:35
Life is simple, not easy.

I have two episodes in DVR; haven't watched yet.

Searching for this I stumbled on a two hour "Son of Sam" documentary that I also DVR'd. It was pretty fascinating.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 6 August 2017, 19:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I have two episodes in DVR; haven't watched yet.

Searching for this I stumbled on a two hour "Son of Sam" documentary that I also DVR'd. It was pretty fascinating.
I watched that too.

Old 7 August 2017, 17:29
Confirmed User

I watched it using the On Demand feature. I like the show, except for the constant jumping around.

I'm still not clear who the Stanford professor is. I think it's the same girl he worked with at the FBI, but I'm not sure.

I also wonder if the real Fitz was nearly as troubled as the show portrayed him to be. The show made it seem as though TK got real deep inside his head.

Last edited by Steve509; 7 August 2017 at 17:34.
Old 7 August 2017, 19:48
Confirmed User

was it the national HRT or the local FBI SWAT team who captured the unabomber outside his cabin? no mention at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostage_Rescue_Team
Old 8 August 2017, 09:20
Spice Weasel

I wonder if they'll get into his philosophies or just dramatize the manhunt. While his conduct was inexcusable, some of his observations are dead-on accurate. Like this gem: "In the United States, a couple of decades ago when leftists were a minority in our universities, leftist professors were vigorous proponents of academic freedom, but today, in those of our universities where leftists have become dominant, they have shown themselves ready to take away from everyone else’s academic freedom. The same will happen with leftists and technology: They will use it to oppress everyone else if they ever get it under their own control."
Old 8 August 2017, 11:51
Been There Done That

^Really? I don't see that happening anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 August 2017, 13:11
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
I wonder if they'll get into his philosophies or just dramatize the manhunt. While his conduct was inexcusable, some of his observations are dead-on accurate. Like this gem:

I've never read about Ted or even understood the history (I was 9yrs old in 1978 when he started) so I came into this series blind, with only the bias that the Unabomber was a psycho maniac sicko. In fact I thought he killed more than 3 people.

IMO the big break was his brother putting together that the Unabomber was Ted.

But the setup so far is that Agent 'Fitz' is this young new profiler changing assumptions on the character makeup of the Unabomber, only to be met with understandable resistance from SAS Ackerman - let's face it many excellent profiler's came in and started from scratch, delivering yet another different profile.

Because of the flashbacks it seems that Fitz started to get
fixated on Ted and something happened, and what that was I don't know.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 9 August 2017, 11:38
Confirmed User

We watched the first couple episodes last night and it seems interesting though, like Sigi, I never really knew the history only came to know about him in the late 90s.

I have no idea how accurate this portrayal may be.

Our new posting rules