Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 9 August 2017, 21:31
Confirmed User

https://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

THEODORE JOHN KACZYNSKI
Register Number: 04475-046
Race: White
Sex: Male
Located at: Florence ADMAX USP
Release Date: LIFE

75 years old???!!!
Old 9 August 2017, 22:08
Been There Done That

Good TV so far.

Ironic though, as much of a murderer and madman he was, reading his writings 20 years later, he was spot on in many ways.

Like the part about how it was mentioned how many times technology is initially used to help us, so we think, but then in the ends we become a slave to that technology. How the analogy of automobiles was used as an example. Just like I have concerns about how all our agricultural/post harvest/food infrastructure is so technologically dependent now. How we are controlled now through technology. And when you think about his writings, this was before google, Facebook, the internet took hold, Smart Phones, etc. In some ways his writings were very, dare I say, prophetic. He just had of course the WRONG way of trying to get his message heard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 9 August 2017, 23:48
Violent Social Worker

That's it you're on the watch list.

After watching the commercial with the dramatic chase and Ted shooting at an FBI agent I think I'll give it a miss.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 August 2017, 02:26
Confirmed User

I haven't seen that commercial yet.
No doubt the story has been Hollywooded up. But given the state of TV programming these days, the series is better than most of the current offerings, IMHO.
Old 10 August 2017, 06:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
That's it you're on the watch list.

After watching the commercial with the dramatic chase and Ted shooting at an FBI agent I think I'll give it a miss.
Same here. Or, at least, I am less interested in watching it now knowing they are diverging even farther from the truth.

Typical Discover product of the last 5 years. It kind of has a True Detective vibe about the show....only TD was fiction.
Old 22 August 2017, 23:23
Been There Done That

Tonight's episode was a little better. Now that they are focused solely on Kaczynski. They have agents conducting surveillance on his Montana cabin. This is the part I was interested in. I don't think show is done skipping around yet, as it looks like it will go into his childhood some.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 August 2017, 23:28
Confirmed User

I agree. I really liked tonight's episode.
Old 23 August 2017, 00:04
Life is simple, not easy.

I've been hooked since E1. Tonight was a good episode I agree.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 23 August 2017, 00:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Tonight's episode was a little better. Now that they are focused solely on Kaczynski. They have agents conducting surveillance on his Montana cabin. This is the part I was interested in. I don't think show is done skipping around yet, as it looks like it will go into his childhood some.
Isn't there some speculation he was a subject in the MK Ultra program at his time in Harvard?
Old 23 August 2017, 06:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Isn't there some speculation he was a subject in the MK Ultra program at his time in Harvard?
I never heard that? Makes for a good conspiracy theory though. The guy was mad at everything apparently. Interesting how he handled the break off of his short term relationship. Definitely not a ladies man.

I just realized the guy playing agent Fitzgerald was also on Hacksaw Ridge.

Old 23 August 2017, 08:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
In the preview for next week, there's a quick glimpse of him as a young man, strapped in a chair with electrodes on his head. It looked like someone sitting in an electric chair. I don't know anything about that program, but I had read that he'd been a part of it.
Old 23 August 2017, 08:14
Been There Done That

So how many episodes is this series suppose to be?

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 23 August 2017, 10:34
Life is simple, not easy.

It's an 8 part series. So 3 episodes are left.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 23 August 2017, 11:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
In the preview for next week, there's a quick glimpse of him as a young man, strapped in a chair with electrodes on his head. It looked like someone sitting in an electric chair. I don't know anything about that program, but I had read that he'd been a part of it.
The stuff I had read was saying perhaps he was exposed to LSD during that program and it had something to do with it. I'll try and dig up the article.
Old 25 August 2017, 17:06
Confirmed User

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...bomber/378239/
Quote:
This is the Atlantic article from 2000. It's a bit long and wordy, but it covers the subject well.

Old 25 August 2017, 21:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post

This is the Atlantic article from 2000. It's a bit long and wordy, but it covers the subject well.

I think that's the one I had read.
Old 26 August 2017, 15:02
The atomic zit

Just finished The Atlantic piece.

I had to break out a dictionary just to keep up...
Old 30 August 2017, 02:08
Been There Done That

Last nights episode cleary focused on Kacynski alone. Childhood, his advanced schooling. He was out of his element as a child..Was into self mutilation as well.

Going to Harvard at 16 y/o again out of place. Loner. It does appear he underwent testing there, whether MK Ultra or something else. This apparently stuck with him until his capture. Next week it looks like they are closing in on him in his Montana cabin.

Old 30 August 2017, 09:20
Confirmed User

How did they use the scene that was previewed of the FBI/Police encountering and then chasing Kacynski? That stands out as a sever departure from the truth, that I have avoided watching any episodes after the second.

Is it worth continuing?
Old 30 August 2017, 10:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
How did they use the scene that was previewed of the FBI/Police encountering and then chasing Kacynski? That stands out as a sever departure from the truth, that I have avoided watching any episodes after the second.

Is it worth continuing?

That's scene threw a bunch of folks off. They had just printed his manifesto and were looking to see if he was going to buy a newspaper. The FBI thought they saw him. It turned into a chase scene by a lone female agent. The hooded perp they were chasing turned out just to be a drug dealer. It resulted in Agent Fitzgerald being removed from the investigation.

Our new posting rules