Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 1 September 2017, 19:29
Confirmed User

Great series so far. Really like the FBI agents linguistic forensic skills. He has help, but awesome how super smart people arent so smart, as their education is really easy to see for some.
MKUltra, damn, that was some serious shit CIA and Army did.
Old 6 September 2017, 15:10
Been There Done That

They caught him on last nights show. I guess all is left is the trial.

I wonder if they're letting ole Ted watch this from his underground Colorado lair?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 September 2017, 01:05
Confirmed User

The final episode left me wondering if TK would have been better off not pleading guilty and letting his lawyers go with the insanity defense.

The show made it look like his ego wouldn't allow him to play the crazy card. If the show was as accurate as claimed, it's hard to believe anyone wouldn't think he was sane.
Old 15 September 2017, 10:19
Been There Done That

maladjusted, socially inept? sure. egotistically, intellectually "superior" to others? yep. insane? I doubt it.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 15 September 2017, 15:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
maladjusted, socially inept? sure. egotistically, intellectually "superior" to others? yep. insane? I doubt it.
You're probably right. But he was a bit more than socially inept and maladjusted. Whether or not he met the criteria for criminally insane is dubious at best, but what did he have to lose by trying? He was going to be incarcerated for life regardless.
Old 15 September 2017, 16:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
You're probably right. But he was a bit more than socially inept and maladjusted. Whether or not he met the criteria for criminally insane is dubious at best, but what did he have to lose by trying? He was going to be incarcerated for life regardless.
He wanted his thoughts to be accepted, but as a physco/insane/mentally ill person, society would chalk him as , well, mentally ill.
His legacy, manifest would have been tossed aside.
But as a man that went to jail, admitting guilt, he is somehow looked upon.
correct me if I am wrong.
Old 15 September 2017, 16:58
Life is simple, not easy.

I thought this was a good 8 part series. It was cool to learn how the FBI had to develop a linguistic forensics dept to track this guy down. Overall a decent show.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 15 September 2017, 17:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
He wanted his thoughts to be accepted, but as a physco/insane/mentally ill person, society would chalk him as , well, mentally ill.
His legacy, manifest would have been tossed aside.
But as a man that went to jail, admitting guilt, he is somehow looked upon.
correct me if I am wrong.
You're not wrong; but ddn't society look upon him as mentally ill anyway? I know I always have.

Weren't his writings pretty much tossed aside as well?

Maybe he had some sort of hero complex, and if he did, that too would point to mental illness.

I'm not saying he met the standard for criminally insane, but he was, in my unqualified opinion, mentally ill.
Old 15 September 2017, 21:51
Been There Done That

I'm sure psychologist are still studying this guy. He just didn't fit in. If he lived in the 19th century he would have probably been famous in a good way.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 September 2017, 23:33

Blow people up to eventually figure out you want to force the publication of your "manifesto" or you'll blow more people up? It took him how many years - 8? - to figure out he wanted his philosophical ideas read?

He has to be mentally ill.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 19 September 2017, 19:59
Confirmed User

I still have some catching up to do, but just finished "Ted", which I thought was an outstanding episode. Now I need to do some research on MKUltra.
Old 21 September 2017, 10:05

This is now streaming on Netflix.

William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 21 September 2017, 13:25
Confirmed User

My understanding with a insanity defense, is for the suspect to be so insane they do not realize what they are doing is wrong. The steps taken by the Unabomber to avoid capture, would be counter to this requirement.
Old 21 September 2017, 14:43
Red Headed Stepchild

Just started watching this, pretty much entirely due to seeing this thread keep showing up.

Really well done. Now if I can make it 15 minutes in a row without hitting pause to google something.
Old 21 September 2017, 14:45
Red Headed Stepchild

Just started watching this, pretty much entirely as a result of watching this thread keep popping up.

Really well done. Now if I can make it 15 minutes in a row without having to hit pause to google something.
Old 9 October 2017, 09:29
Authorized Personnel

We watched it over the weekend. Loved it, it's a really well made series.

My wife and I had the discussion about how much of the show was really correct and how much was "based on true events". My question is how warped he became as a results of the experiments conducted at Harvard and if they actually did happen.

The guy had some good ideas about technology effecting normal life that IMHO has came to fruition. Do not agree with his method of getting his message out there at all.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 9 October 2017, 09:47
Confirmed User

Technology has consumed many people. Like robots...

Our new posting rules