Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 July 2012, 03:38
Psalm 91:2

CBS Films to do Mitch Rapp Movies

Apparently they're casting for Vince Flynn's character Mitch Rapp for American Assassin.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/cbs-...ican-assassin/

Also, it was in my Vince Flynn email.

Looks like they are looking at Gerard Butler, Colin Farrel and that dude from Lost for the older Rapp. Don't know who they're looking at for the younger Rapp.

I vote for Butler....talk about hot....kinda the way I imagine the older Rapp to be.

I hope they don't screw the Rapp character up in the storyline and don't cast some cutsey buff gay looking dude (look how they messed up Jack Reacher with that doofus douchebag Tom Cruise).

Hopefully Flynn will have some say so over things.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 27 July 2012, 06:34
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Paul Bettany!

No, wait...I want him to be the next Bond.

Farrel has the right build.

Fuck it..anyone but Tom Cruise.

How about Chris Pine? I'm sure that'd get the chicks' panties in a twist.
Old 27 July 2012, 10:45
Confirmed User

Sounds good. I have to say, though, American Assassin was my least-favorite one in the series. I don't know why.
Old 27 July 2012, 13:51

What about an unknown? Maybe even a military guy?
Old 27 July 2012, 14:53
Get Down!

I hope Flynn has a lot of say in the movie. If he doesn't, Hollywood is going to turn the Islamic terrorists of Flynn's books into neo-fascists with connections to the Tea Party, NRA, and oil companies. Also, the spineless, liberal politicians that always screw everything up in the books will become the heroes.
Old 27 July 2012, 15:08
Authorized Personnel

Maybe they will start with the book "Term Limits".

Butler would be a good fit, Maybe Hugh Jackman(?) or Mark Whalberg .The character of
Mitch Rapp is supposed to go unnoticed in the middle east

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 27 July 2012, 16:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Maybe they will start with the book "Term Limits".
I don't think Rapp appeared in Term Limits, did he? I thought Term Limits was a book to set the location and some of the recurring characters.
Old 27 July 2012, 18:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
I don't think Rapp appeared in Term Limits, did he? I thought Term Limits was a book to set the location and some of the recurring characters.
You sir are correct...I was uh, just checking to see if anyone was, you know, paying attention...

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

Old 28 July 2012, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Paul Bettany!

No, wait...I want him to be the next Bond.

Farrel has the right build.

Fuck it..anyone but Tom Cruise.

How about Chris Pine? I'm sure that'd get the chicks' panties in a twist.
Okay I confess I had to go look up Paul Bettany and Chris Pine. Bettany would have to wear contacts, tan up and go dark...he's cute though. Once I saw Pine I realized I've seen him in movies but he looks kinda gay to me....sort of like one of those gay hunks I mentioned earlier.

Both young and older Mitch Rapp has to be grittier.

Young Rapp......maybe a military guy who resembles Gerard Butler and Butler for older Rapp. Now he gets my tongue hanging out.

I hope the studios don't mess with the character. I hope Flynn has some control & doesn't cave.

I don't know if I can read another Reacher novel without that teeny douchebag Cruise popping into my head. I'm sooooo not gonna watch that movie....they royally screwed the pooch on that franchise.

I'm not real happy with the Bourne Legacy movie either because they totally screwed it up but will watch it because of Renner and the fact it looks all action. However, I wanted to see another Bourne film with Bourne in it even if Matt Damon didn't play him.

Hollywood is so stupid sometimes.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 30 July 2012, 16:27
Migratory Coconut

I don't think they could've put another Bourne movie on without Damon, at least not this recently after the last one. Granted I also think the new Spiderman is too recent but maybe I'm just old fasioned. The Jason Bourne character doesn't seem to have the same immortality of Bond. I know they left it open that he survives at the end of Ultimatum but not sure anybody else would've pulled it off as well. I think Renner will do well in the part. Never read the Bourne novels that much, just the first one, so how is it screwed up if you don't mind me asking?

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 31 July 2012, 01:49
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
Never read the Bourne novels that much, just the first one, so how is it screwed up if you don't mind me asking?
Bourne moved to the US and became a University lecturer and...got...old.

There were a lot more locations around the world involved in the Bourne Trilogy than what was shown in the movies. Hong Kong was a big one.

I like the story change with Renner's character.
Old 31 July 2012, 18:59
Confirmed User

Back to Mitch Rapp ... American Assassin is the one novel in the series I keep on picking up, reading the sales blurb, and putting back on the shelf. I suspect that Flynn has gotten tired of Mitch, and when his publisher pushed him to continue the franchise he grabbed up backstory notes, fleshed them out with some dialog, and sent it in to be published as a novel. I confess that I haven't read the book, but I just get the sense that there's no passion left in the author for it anymore.

On the other hand it makes sense for the movie producers to start with this one, since its story "kicks off" Mitch Rapp and leads to the rest of the books.
Old 27 April 2017, 20:45
Confirmed User

Trailer for American Assassin, starring Dylan O'Brien, Micheal Keaton, Taylor Kitsch, and Sanaa Lathan(never heard of her).

Release date is September 2017.

Watching the trailer, they have changed the backstory regarding how his girlfriend died; in the books she died in the bombing of PanAm 103, in this trailer she is killed during a terrorist attack on a beach.

Trailer looks OK, I guess. Still wish they had done a different book first.
Old 28 April 2017, 02:04
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Watching the trailer, they have changed the backstory regarding how his girlfriend died; in the books she died in the bombing of PanAm 103, in this trailer she is killed during a terrorist attack on a beach.
The studio wants this one to be the first in a series, locking the young actor in for multiple sequels, letting him age with the character.
But, because he's young, mid twenties, they likely needed his character's girlfriend die in a more contemporary terrorist attack, instead of one that happened before he was born.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 28 April 2017, 10:46
Confirmed User

Flynn died of prostate cancer in 2013, RIP Mike. So he wont have much input.
Old 7 May 2017, 23:01

I'm NOT liking the trailers at all. Guy playing Rapp looks too "sweet". And the gal playing Irene Kennedy? Not even close. Remember she and Hurly are like family to the point she calls him Uncle Stan. And she becomes the first female director of CIA.

Michael Keaton might be able to play Hurly but just didn't seem irascible enough.

They did what I was afraid they'd do and screwed it up. And I read where Flynn's widow was involved with the casting and making of the movie. Too bad Flynn wasn't here to oversee the whole thing.

Since it doesn't have that dipshit Tom Cruise in it I'll watch it but the trailers look like they screwed the pooch on this one.

I hope I'm wrong I really hope I'm wrong.

Old 21 August 2017, 20:20
Authorized Personnel

Vince Flynn Book being made into a movie

I couldn't believe it. One of my all time favorite authors' book is being made into a movie.

The movie is American Assassin and it comes out sometime in Sept. I was hoping for Term Limits but this will work :) trailer looks pretty good

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1961175/fullcredits/

May Mr Flynn Rest In Peace

Old 21 August 2017, 20:32
Confirmed User

Saw the end of the promo last night on TV. September 15 release date.

I wasn't a huge fan of the book for some reason, but I'm still looking forward to the movie.

I've enjoyed the majority of his books and the ones that are being written by the other author.
Old 21 August 2017, 21:57
Authorized Personnel

Don't know if Term Limits would be palatable even as a movie in this day and age... I wish..

I was in DC/NOVA all weekend. While my wife was looking at monuments and flowers, I was trying to retrace the Marine One attack (my favorite part of the book) with the real locations.. I now want to read the book again for probably the 10th time..

Def my favorite Vince Flynn book..

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 21 August 2017, 22:53
Another pool cleaner

Man, I have an American Assassin book somewhere in the house. I just could not finish it. Wasn't interesting, believable nor entertaining. It's a wet dream for some college grad CIA wannabe doofus who thinks doing Crossfit, lacrosse, or BJJ will make him a bad-ass.

With that said, I'll probably watch the movie. I'll support any movie where O2 thieves buy it.

Our new posting rules