Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 1 September 2017, 17:35
Confirmed User

Nurse arrested

Not only is the officer and his supervisor wrong, but so were the other uniformed officers present who did nothing to intervene. And I find it disturbing that this happened over 30 days ago, the officer is still working, and an investigation is still ongoing. As a nurse, I can tell you that she was absolutely correct in following her hospital policy, failure to do so could cost her her job, and maybe her license to practice.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...police-n798021
Old 1 September 2017, 17:49
Nexus Schemer

Why doesn't she simply swear out a complaint for assault and wrong imprisonment? And refuse to leave the station until that detective was arrested. Just like you can swear out a warrant when your neighbor assaults you.

This is isn't in my opinion ok. The dective does a huge disservice to his profession
Old 1 September 2017, 17:53
Rocket Surgeon

Well that was just ignorant....and will prove expensive if she sues.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 1 September 2017, 18:02
Authorized Personnel

Dumbest thing I've seen in awhile. Especially after she showed him the policy that clearly stated he had to be arrested, have a warrant or have given consent.
Old 1 September 2017, 18:12
The Sagacious One

Contempt of cop. How dare she.
Old 1 September 2017, 18:12
Administrator

Fucknozzles like this that wear the badge make the good guys look bad.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 1 September 2017, 18:19
Renuo Victima Esse

His actions showed he was out of control and had no ability to reason with anyone. That was a problem that could have been easily handled in a more professional way from the beginning. He’s obviously a tool and will hopefully be dealt with correctly by his department.

Supervisors and administrators need to grow their backbones and handle business or start retiring/quitting.
Old 1 September 2017, 18:28
Reverse Apache Master

Those uniformed officers should have had enough sack to intervene. The detective's actions weren't even close to being in the realm of articulable and legal. I mean, hell, that wasn't even a "bad arrest." That was an assault, unlawful restraint, and kidnapping.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 1 September 2017, 18:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
Well that was just ignorant....and will prove expensive if she sues.
Yep, but not from his pension or bank accounts unfortunately. This will cost the taxpayers, as it does each and every other time.
Old 1 September 2017, 18:51
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
Yep, but not from his pension or bank accounts unfortunately. This will cost the taxpayers, as it does each and every other time.
Not if he violated policy and they are separated from the suit and then he is sued personally. Happens all the time.
Old 1 September 2017, 19:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Not if he violated policy and they are separated from the suit and then he is sued personally. Happens all the time.
Well then it might certainly cost him more than his employment. It would have been much less headache to convince a magistrate for a blood draw warrant. It definitely seemed that he took it personally.
Old 1 September 2017, 19:07
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
Well then it might certainly cost him more than his employment. It would have been much less headache to convince a magistrate for a blood draw warrant. It definitely seemed that he took it personally.
Indeed he did! His body language when he was pushing her out the door screamed that he was OOC and had lost his temper.

As to suits, most people get greedy and simply go for the deep pockets (agency) and not for the message (officer). They take the settlement and leave the officer alone.
Old 1 September 2017, 19:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronErik View Post
Not only is the officer and his supervisor wrong, but so were the other uniformed officers present who did nothing to intervene. And I find it disturbing that this happened over 30 days ago, the officer is still working, and an investigation is still ongoing. As a nurse, I can tell you that she was absolutely correct in following her hospital policy, failure to do so could cost her her job, and maybe her license to practice.
All it would have taken is one guy to speak up and say, "she's right, we need a warrant."

I think, but am not certain, that even if she complied and the truck driver was under the influence, the lab results wouldn't be admissible in court since the blood was not legally obtained.

I'm also guessing the hospital would have taken a blood sample before initiating any treatment anyway, and the PD could have easily gotten a warrant to get a copy of the lab results.

The guy making the arrest shouldn't be the only one discliplined.
Old 1 September 2017, 19:24
Shakeyville NZ

Good job she didn't have a CCW, sounds more like assault.
Old 1 September 2017, 19:42
Confirmed User

I'm confused. The second officer, the one that talked to her in the car, said what sounded like that the guy was a victim in a fatal accident. If that's the case why do they need his blood?

The full video can be found here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3461697
Old 1 September 2017, 20:07
Confirmed User

The trucker driver/victim is supposedly a reserve officer and the detective claims he's trying to "help".
Old 1 September 2017, 20:11
Confirmed User

The Cop was dead wrong and a remarkable douche. All hospitals (that I deal with) will drawn the patients blood and run a drug screen as a matter of policy and best medical practice. LE can at any time request a subpoena for the results of the drug screen. No fuss and no muss and no.... locked up nurse. I hope she buys a beach house with her awarded money.
Old 1 September 2017, 20:47
I've got a gun too, mf'er

If he loses it that bad in a public setting, and on video, then you can guarantee he is far worse in private.
Temperamentally unsuited for the job; needs to be unemployed yesterday.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 1 September 2017, 20:55
Another pool cleaner

Good to hear the opinions of PO's here.

I just can't see a scenario for this nurse to draw blood without medical necessity.

At our place, the LEO's have a person to draw forensic blood or subpoena for records.

They have been very reasonable when I tell them we will not draw any blood test that is not medically necessary. They know I'd advocate for them, if they are incapacitated.

I realize tempers flare.

What pisses me off is the other chickenshit cops standing by.

If a doc or nurse was compromising patient safety, my staff knows I would rectify that shit pronto.

That's what public confidence is.
Old 1 September 2017, 20:57
Authorized Personnel

Looks to me like he just tried to big dick her and she pulled his punk card. No way this ends well.

Our new posting rules