Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 1 September 2017, 21:08
Been There Done That

What bothered me is the LEO supervisor justifying his officer's action because they use "the law", whereas the hospital used 'policy'. The 'however' in there is that hospital law is based on applicable laws. They glossed that part over when talking to the nurse.

What pissed me off is that the campus police didn't intervene for one of their own. Right now it looked like lack of training or lack of courage on the part of the campus' police actions.

Yanking an ER nurse is a big no-no as well; especially if the ER is short-handed. She has a patient load to take care of, and probably had some supervisory role if she was a BSN or MSN. Taking her off the floor puts patients at risk, as well as increases the work load on the rest of the staff.
Old 1 September 2017, 21:19
Un-confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
What pisses me off is the other chickenshit cops standing by.
Yep...that thin blue line is a mf'er!

These officers just pissed on this communities trust of their police dept. and confirmed the us vs. them mentality that exists. Just made it a lot harder for officers across this nation to do their job.

I've said it before, it rests squarely on LE shoulders to correct this problem, even if it's just a perceived problem.

I hope they drop the hammer on this officer, and the others who refused to act on the nurses behalf, and this officer gets the maximum sentence for a federal civil rights violation.

Not only are police officers tasked to enforce criminal laws...they are also tasked to enforce people's rights. Something that has been forgotten, IMHO.
Old 1 September 2017, 21:27
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Harper View Post

Not only are police officers tasked to enforce criminal laws...they are also tasked to enforce people's rights...
Preach, brother!

Clarification: In our facility, when a patient comes in and LEO are involved, there are parallel processes. One is the medical care that the patient needs (provided by the medical team). The other is the forensic exam, i.e. blood alcohol draw. Medical team does not get involved in the latter and vice versa. There is a lot of respect towards each other's missions. As there should be.

Last edited by 8654maine; 1 September 2017 at 21:40.
Old 1 September 2017, 21:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Harper View Post
Yep...that thin blue line is a mf'er!

These officers just pissed on this communities trust of their police dept. and confirmed the us vs. them mentality that exists. Just made it a lot harder for officers across this nation to do their job.

I've said it before, it rests squarely on LE shoulders to correct this problem, even if it's just a perceived problem.

I hope they drop the hammer on this officer, and the others who refused to act on the nurses behalf, and this officer gets the maximum sentence for a federal civil rights violation.

Not only are police officers tasked to enforce criminal laws...they are also tasked to enforce people's rights. Something that has been forgotten, IMHO.
This thread was going great until this post. It has very little to do with this incident and is simply another broad brush beat down post!
Old 1 September 2017, 22:17
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
This thread was going great until this post. It has very little to do with this incident and is simply another broad brush beat down post!
I didn't take it that way at all. I'm also pretty sure he's an LEO himself.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 1 September 2017, 22:19
The Sagacious One

I am telling you all right now, I am weary of the Oh Wo is me on both sides of this. Keep it relevant. Take your victimology somewhere else.
Old 1 September 2017, 22:22
Authorized Personnel

See y’all later!!!
Old 1 September 2017, 22:38
Administrator

Quote:
Chill out. He wore the badge and if he doesn't rate to critisize his own community, who does?
Old 1 September 2017, 22:49
Confirmed User

A good timeline of the event:

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.g...ology-49572069
Old 1 September 2017, 22:49
Authorized Personnel

I personally am shocked.

I'm shocked she didn't have any back-up there.
19 minutes? I wouldn't have f'd with a cop, a DA or anyone for that long.
I simply would have called the nurse supervisor to handle it and make the call.
I tell you what policy is, and if you have a problem, we have people to deal with those kind of problems.

I've done it before being a travelling nurse where no one knows you and no one takes your word. And you have to be "that" asshole. No problem.

So pick up the tele & . . .B-riinnngg. "Nursing Supervisor?"

This incident just doesn't past muster. From several fronts. The Cop is a douche. But this gal played footsie way too long and let it get outta hand IMO.
Old 2 September 2017, 03:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
I personally am shocked.

I'm shocked she didn't have any back-up there.
19 minutes? I wouldn't have f'd with a cop, a DA or anyone for that long.
I simply would have called the nurse supervisor to handle it and make the call.
I tell you what policy is, and if you have a problem, we have people to deal with those kind of problems.

I've done it before being a travelling nurse where no one knows you and no one takes your word. And you have to be "that" asshole. No problem.

So pick up the tele & . . .B-riinnngg. "Nursing Supervisor?"

This incident just doesn't past muster. From several fronts. The Cop is a douche. But this gal played footsie way too long and let it get outta hand IMO.
when she puts the phone on speaker, that is the Nursing supervisor that said no to the cop as well. when the Nursing Sup said no also the cop high sided and took it out on the object of his anger, and his impediment. the nurse saying no. who was holding a paper copy of the hospital policy that his department had hacked off on.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 2 September 2017, 04:26
Been There Done That

This incident happened in July.
The only reason this story gets any play is because she's a professional white woman at her workplace.

This thread was going great until someone pointed out that nothing really changes behind the blue line.
Payne will retire quietly after a paid vacation and the tax payers will fund his lawyers, her settlement, his detective pay, paid vacation and retirement in full....or he'll just take a paid vacation and go back to having anger management issues on the tax payers dime, seems he's good at that.
Old 2 September 2017, 05:36
Authorized Personnel

I hope she sues his ass (and the department's as well). Screw him and his anger management issues. I really hope he loses his job and his retirement. It looked like the one officer went to go calm him down (when he put his hand on his shoulder), but it was not enough. There is no way he was in line with policy. If he operated outside of policy then he is open to a civil suit, not just the department.
Old 2 September 2017, 06:34
Reverse Apache Master

I think the "did he operate within policy" question is a red herring. I can tell you now there's no policy saying "officers shall not kidnap people." I said it earlier, that was not a "bad arrest." That wasn't an arrest at all.

Whether he was within policy or not, he had zero probable cause to arrest the nurse. What crime did she commit? What crime did she come even close to committing?

The guy committed assault and kidnapping, for fuck's sake. He operated outside the LAW, much less department policy.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 2 September 2017, 07:24
Administrator

Everyone should listen to the entire video before commenting.

He admits to the other LEO he has no PC. The nurse clearly had a supervisor on the phone. The supervisor and others arrive on scene and challenge the dudes actions.

He either tried to grab or smack her phone out of her hand.

It also appears to me he jacked her arms up higher, once cuffed, than he needed to on purpose.

Any of use would be in jail if we did half of what he did.
Old 2 September 2017, 07:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
I think the "did he operate within policy" question is a red herring. I can tell you now there's no policy saying "officers shall not kidnap people." I said it earlier, that was not a "bad arrest." That wasn't an arrest at all.

Whether he was within policy or not, he had zero probable cause to arrest the nurse. What crime did she commit? What crime did she come even close to committing?

The guy committed assault and kidnapping, for fuck's sake. He operated outside the LAW, much less department policy.
The PD admins may initially say that the officer was acting in good faith and the officer believed he was acting within the law so therefore his actions were within policy. They may throw that up as an initial defense, but after one or two views of the video it is clear the officer was not acting in good faith and the only offense committed by the nurse was as TFG stated earlier...Contempt of Cop. I would also like to read the officers arrest report to see if his recollection of the incident matches what is viewed on the video. Falsification of a police report is a crime.
Old 2 September 2017, 07:37
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
See y’all later!!!
Seriously?

This is a great opportunity for dialogue.

I don't think there's any broad brush application here.

Most of y'all know what I do. This has been blowing up among my colleagues, most of whom are nurses, some of whom are married or dating LEO's.

Why wouldn't they just subpoena the records? This patient (reserve LEO) had serious burns. He was going nowhere for awhile.

And, as Tracy pointed out, in small hospitals, once you remove a ER nurse, you've basically shut that ER down.

I'd want that nurse to take care of me. I'd want her as my advocate.

Last edited by 8654maine; 2 September 2017 at 07:45.
Old 2 September 2017, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
This incident happened in July.
The only reason this story gets any play is because she's a professional white woman at her workplace.
I don't know about that really, around here (ATL) if the nurse had been black, hispanic, etc, the story would have blown up hours after the arrest. Viewed through the lens of racially driven policing, this incident almost serves to discredit the racism aspect because it shows police misconduct and constitutional violations affect people across the board.

If somehow this guy manages to stay out of jail and keep his job, he'd better not get injured or need medical care at a local hospital. It's going to be an uncomfortable stay. I'm married to a nurse, she and her coworkers are very capable of providing "care" that Nurse Ratched would consider cruel and unusual.

And if some idiot arrested her for this kind of BS, I'd be front row while we sued his sorry ass off. As soon as we were awarded the dough my badge would be fired off Shaft-style into the wall in the sheriff's office.
Old 2 September 2017, 07:54
Administrator

This incident had nothing to do with race.
Old 2 September 2017, 08:29
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am telling you all right now, I am weary of the Oh Wo is me on both sides of this. Keep it relevant. Take your victimology somewhere else.
Yes, x1000. This site should be the last place for that type of attitude.

Our new posting rules