Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 2 September 2017, 08:53

Went back and watched again for any hint, body language, whatever that might suggest a backstory - personal or prior departmental conflict, maybe; nothing I saw suggested anything like that. Just a front-line troop calmly saying nope, not on my watch.

I live with a hospital pharmacist and know enough about medicine and patient care to be her sounding board often. I know from my work how protocol lapses or med errors can snowball, and that's nothing compared to human med.
I, too, would want this nurse to be taking care of me.

DaveP
Old 2 September 2017, 09:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
when she puts the phone on speaker, that is the Nursing supervisor that said no to the cop as well. when the Nursing Sup said no also the cop high sided and took it out on the object of his anger, and his impediment. the nurse saying no. who was holding a paper copy of the hospital policy that his department had hacked off on.
Missed it totally. I watched the wrong video.
Old 2 September 2017, 09:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpaws View Post

If somehow this guy manages to stay out of jail and keep his job, he'd better not get injured or need medical care at a local hospital. It's going to be an uncomfortable stay. I'm married to a nurse, she and her coworkers are very capable of providing "care" that Nurse Ratched would consider cruel and unusual.
I know several health care professionals and they would do their job properly, no matter who was in need.

Two wrongs do not make it better or right.

Cop screwed up, he will pay a price. Some people are just not a good fit when it comes to LE.
Old 2 September 2017, 09:47
Authorized Personnel

Longer Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsAil12U1cc

Audio kicks in about 00:30 seconds.

The mumbling discussion I can make out is the recording officer and the arresting officer discussing the watch commander is where the arrest order came from.
And that She is breaking the law. Same with the aftermath when the watch commander(?) shows up and is explaining to her while she's in the car that the policy is against the law.
Old 2 September 2017, 10:07
Confirmed User

Detective Jeff Payne is now on paid administrative leave, pending a criminal investigation.

https://www.rt.com/usa/401800-nurse-...investigation/
Old 2 September 2017, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
I know several health care professionals and they would do their job properly, no matter who was in need.

Two wrongs do not make it better or right.

Cop screwed up, he will pay a price. Some people are just not a good fit when it comes to LE.
I was joking, it's probably only me who should fear payback should I cross her!
Old 2 September 2017, 10:41
Genetically Deplorable

One good aspect of this was the LEO's body cam. It shows how they can be a great tool for both sides. Maybe there is a policy that it must be running, but I think the LEO who was wearing it felt the detective was wrong and therefore kept it running to have a record. JMO.

In the background you can see there was a uniformed officer milling around on his phone. I wonder if he was just checking in with the wife to see what's for dinner, or calling someone at the cop shop to discuss this fucked up incident.

As for no one stepping in and shutting this idiot down, I suspect he is a "bigshot" around the office and a bully to other officers as well.
Old 2 September 2017, 11:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
As for no one stepping in and shutting this idiot down, I suspect he is a "bigshot" around the office and a bully to other officers as well.
Then (in that scenario) the other officers are pussies. And not that anyone needed me to weigh in, but since I'm already typing...absolutely fuck that guy.
Old 2 September 2017, 13:20
Nurse Ratched

As a nurse my facebook has blown up with reposts of the videos.

I will wager this detective has had lots of smaller incidents that led up to this fiasco. Who ever his supervisor was that gave the ok to arrest her needs to go down as well.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 2 September 2017, 14:40
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
......he'd better not get injured or need medical care at a local hospital. It's going to be an uncomfortable stay. I'm married to a nurse......
Me too. Apparently there is a difference between "an acceptable standard of care" and "everything we could have done for you". Cops aren't the only ones who have latitude within their profession.

Imagine waking up on that stainless steel table and seeing her face looking down at you....if you survive your injuries, turns out a shared room with some gang banger/street person was all they had available.....sleep well... ;-)

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 2 September 2017, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Me too. Apparently there is a difference between "an acceptable standard of care" and "everything we could have done for you". Cops aren't the only ones who have latitude within their profession.

Imagine waking up on that stainless steel table and seeing her face looking down at you....if you survive your injuries, turns out a shared room with some gang banger/street person was all they had available.....sleep well... ;-)
"By the way, we're out of catheter lube, you might feel a small pinch."
Old 2 September 2017, 15:12

I have watched the whole video and what am I missing here?

They were trying to get blood from the victim of the crash. I could understand better if he was a suspect, but the supervisor even said he was the victim in the crash when he was trying to justify what happened to the nurse.

Is it standard procedure to get a blood sample from the victim in a car crash?
Old 2 September 2017, 15:55
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Aside from the legal issues, nothing dumber than a cop messing with a nurse or a doctor in an ER, which is like coming into somebody's home and taking a dump.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't do their utmost to save the cop who arrested her if he were wheeled into the ER after an accident or some on the job injury, but...you never know. Payback can be a bitch, seriously.

My cousin's husband did his residency at Cook County hospital, and continued to pick up hours in the ER for some extra money while he was getting board certified in a bunch of different disciplines.

Can't tell you how many traffic citations he's gotten out of because of that. Cops, the smart ones, realize that their lives might just be in his hands at some point. Kind of a professional courtesy.
Old 2 September 2017, 17:36
Been There Done That

What I also find fascinating is little discussion of the back story in the news.
The why of this officers actions.

In my opinion the only reason to strong arm getting a blood sample is to charge for something that reduces or removes the threat of civil lawsuit based on the pursuit and accident.
If so, and the officer was talking to supervisors and getting their ok, then this is a conspiracy with clear intent.
Felonies for everyone....if they were normal citizens that is...
Old 2 September 2017, 18:09
Been There Done That

From everything I have read she was following hospital protocol.

I hate a fucking bully. Especially one with a badge.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 2 September 2017 at 18:19.
Old 2 September 2017, 20:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
As a nurse my facebook has blown up with reposts of the videos.

I will wager this detective has had lots of smaller incidents that led up to this fiasco. Who ever his supervisor was that gave the ok to arrest her needs to go down as well.
As a nurse, if you were to draw blood w/o consent or legal authority, aside from violating policy, wouldn't that also be assault and battery?

Also, if she was arrested, was she ever read her rights?
I watched both vids, they were kind of hard to hear, but I didn't hear either officer actually say the word, "arrest."
Old 2 September 2017, 20:26
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
I watched both vids, they were kind of hard to hear, but I didn't hear either officer actually say the word, "arrest."
The sound is pretty shitty but he says it right as he is making his initial move to grab her.
Old 2 September 2017, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
As a nurse, if you were to draw blood w/o consent or legal authority, aside from violating policy, wouldn't that also be assault and battery?

Also, if she was arrested, was she ever read her rights?
Miranda is usually only advised if we are going to question the offender after they are in custody, so as not to violate their 5th amendment rights against self incrimination.

For instance, if I arrest someone who has an active warrant I usually don't need to advise Miranda rights since I will not need more probable cause to effect the arrest. However if I need more information regarding their offense to bolster the court case I will need to Mirandize them.

Advising Miranda rights to everyone is a TV thing. At least for the agencies I've worked for. Elsewhere it might be policy to Mirandize every arrested subject.
Old 2 September 2017, 21:58
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Just watched the full length clip.... very

Someday, somewhere, a guy like this is gonna go after the wrong person, for the wrong reasons, and will made an example of by someone who's capabilities far exceed his own.

I can't wait. Because come that day, I want to see if makes me feel any better about watching vid's like this.........and I'm pretty sure it will.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 2 September 2017, 22:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Miranda is usually only advised if we are going to question the offender after they are in custody, so as not to violate their 5th amendment rights against self incrimination.

For instance, if I arrest someone who has an active warrant I usually don't need to advise Miranda rights since I will not need more probable cause to effect the arrest. However if I need more information regarding their offense to bolster the court case I will need to Mirandize them.

Advising Miranda rights to everyone is a TV thing. At least for the agencies I've worked for. Elsewhere it might be policy to Mirandize every arrested subject.
Thanks.

My arrest powers are very limited. We only arrest someone who is in the court and ordered by the judge. It's a very rare occurrence and one I've never personally performed in my little over a year as a bailiff. I'm pretty sure they are given their rights, but that might just be the policy of our judge.

I'm going to ask about that on Tuesday. I thought everyone was Mirandized upon arrest. Probably due to watching TV.

Our new posting rules