Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 14 September 2017, 11:00
Confirmed User

Ken Burns' Vietnam on PBS

Ken Burns documentaries are fantastic. His newest on, Vietnam, in on this Sunday on PBS.
Old 14 September 2017, 11:18
Been There Done That

You beat me to it, I am DVR'ing every episode. I am a HUGE, HUGE fan of Ken Burns. I think he brings a certain soul, an unheard voice to history that none else can do.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:20
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
You beat me to it, I am DVR'ing every episode. I am a HUGE, HUGE fan of Ken Burns. I think he brings a certain soul, an unheard voice to history that none else can do.
I'd like to know what you think of it.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:33
Been There Done That

Count on it--I've never missed one, and DVR all of them (to include American Experience & American Masters) when they air. In my estimation, The Civil War should be seen, and taught the exact way Ken put it together. PBS is my 'Go-To' station of stations.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Count on it--I've never missed one, and DVR all of them (to include American Experience & American Masters) when they air. In my estimation, The Civil War should be seen, and taught the exact way Ken put it together. PBS is my 'Go-To' station of stations.
His Civil War series was one of the best - if not the best - I have ever seen on the issue. He has a way of finding perspectives in his different series that no one has up to that point. It's obvious that he puts his true thoughts and feelings into his productions.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:51
BTDT

[ QUOTE=Mingo Kane;1058671437]Count on it--I've never missed one, and DVR all of them (to include American Experience & American Masters) when they air. In my estimation, The Civil War should be seen, and taught the exact way Ken put it together. PBS is my 'Go-To' station of stations.[/QUOTE]

Just ordered from Amazon.
Old 14 September 2017, 13:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
[ QUOTE=Mingo Kane;1058671437]Count on it--I've never missed one, and DVR all of them (to include American Experience & American Masters) when they air. In my estimation, The Civil War should be seen, and taught the exact way Ken put it together. PBS is my 'Go-To' station of stations.
Just ordered from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You will come away from watching The Civil War with a newfound respect for both sides, and a far greater admiration for all those involved, no mater the side they were on. Burns lends a quiet soul to General Sherman (My favorite)...and the surrender between Lee and Grant, so humbling, to see the words and thoughts exchanged between both men...American Experience (PBS) recently did a very, very nice 3 part documentary on World War One--another truly exceptional historical endeavor...truly showing President Wilson's heart, during the turmoil of his private life and administration as war raged...
Old 14 September 2017, 14:16
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Just ordered from Amazon.
Ken Burns' Civil War and Baseball are two of the best documentaries I've ever seen. As a Montana kid, his Lewis and Clark documentary was excellent as well. Shame it was only 2 episodes. I'll be ordering the Vietnam doc time now.

e: I hope he does one on the GWOT someday but I'm not sure he or I will live long enough to give it the perspective it requires.
Old 14 September 2017, 14:22
Life is simple, not easy.

Heard about this two days ago and immediately DVR'd.

The Civil War documentary is simply outstanding.

Ken Burns does amazing work.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 14 September 2017, 14:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Ken Burns' Civil War and Baseball are two of the best documentaries I've ever seen. As a Montana kid, his Lewis and Clark documentary was excellent as well. Shame it was only 2 episodes. I'll be ordering the Vietnam doc time now.

e: I hope he does one on the GWOT someday but I'm not sure he or I will live long enough to give it the perspective it requires.
Two of my ancestors (Joseph and Reuben Fields) went with the Corps of Discovery--I've read Lewis and Clark's journals. If I could have participated in one historical event, this trek across the unspoiled American landscape would be it, hands down, bar none.
Old 14 September 2017, 14:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I'm not sure he or I will live long enough
To see the end of it.
Old 14 September 2017, 15:15
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I heard the first installment on Sunday night will cover the French involvement in Vietnam, which is really where all modern historical studies of the war should begin.

I know when I dived into reading about the war shortly after it ended, that's where I began, and it really added some context to what would then ensue over the next 20 years in terms of American involvement.

I find it ironic that Peter Coyote, Burns longtime narrator for most of his series, will be narrating this latest installment. He was very much involved in Vietnam War protests. Regardless, I'm sure he'll do a great job, as always.
Old 14 September 2017, 15:15
Confirmed User

Burns has a unique gift to tell the story without choosing sides, and get as many perspectives as possible, and not produce a preachy or judgmental product. He makes good stuff. I think I have seen all of his stuff.
Old 14 September 2017, 15:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I heard the first installment on Sunday night will cover the French involvement in Vietnam, which is really where all modern historical studies of the war should begin.
Hell in a Very Small Place should be required reading. Outstanding.
Old 14 September 2017, 15:42
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
+1

Quote:
Two of my ancestors (Joseph and Reuben Fields) went with the Corps of Discovery--I've read Lewis and Clark's journals. If I could have participated in one historical event, this trek across the unspoiled American landscape would be it, hands down, bar none.
Very cool. If you haven't read Undaunted Courage or seen this: [url]https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Clark-Journey-Corps-Discovery/dp/B00005MEPN[url] You really should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
To see the end of it.
Agree unfortunately. I would love to take a motorcycle trip through AFG some day before I die but I don't believe that will be possible even in our grandkids' lifetime now. It still was (arguably) 10 years ago.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 14 September 2017 at 15:51.
Old 14 September 2017, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
It's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet. I did read Dien Bien Phu: The Epic Battle America Forgot when it came out in '94, not as long and perhaps as detailed as the book you cited, but still a pretty good read.
Old 14 September 2017, 16:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Very cool. If you haven't read Undaunted Courage or seen this: [url]https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Clark-Journey-Corps-Discovery/dp/B00005MEPN[url] You really should.
Added...thank you.
Old 14 September 2017, 16:44

Undaunted Courage was great.

I'll have to go back and look through the book again, I'm sure your ancestors are mentioned at some point Mingo.

Back in the day, whiskey was part of every soldier's ration. On a couple of occasions soldiers on the expedition tried to filch a little extra. Does your family have a history of enjoying distilled spirits, by chance?
Old 14 September 2017, 18:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Undaunted Courage was great.

I'll have to go back and look through the book again, I'm sure your ancestors are mentioned at some point Mingo.

Back in the day, whiskey was part of every soldier's ration. On a couple of occasions soldiers on the expedition tried to filch a little extra. Does your family have a history of enjoying distilled spirits, by chance?
Of course, and a few other discriminate endeavors to be sure
Old 14 September 2017, 21:38
Been There Done That

Ken Burns civil war documentary was the shit. One of the best I've seen.

I liked the book Killers Angel's as well. A good movie about Gettysburg was made from that book. Lots of good actors in it.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules