SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 20 September 2017, 06:41
Pirate and Rogue

Watched the first two episodes last night. Great show(s) so far

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 20 September 2017, 07:44
Been There Done That

I am watching to see how the Liberal media is portrayed.We saw reporters on the ground with us after we came in from the field. We heard from the folks back home how our battlefield interviews were turned around to portray the soldiers as losers, and boozers, and pot smokers. Draft dodgers, and hippies in every unit.
Peace symbols and" Flower Power" on most every uniform.
My unit came home in 1969 to Hawaii, on a Friday afternoon.
We didn't know we were supposed to have bands and screaming people to meet us coming off the plane. We were just glad to be home, the ones who survived.
Our Friday evening formation at Schofield barracks was more of be careful out there than a safety briefing ?
Local news said we were the first large unit to come home signaling the United States withdrawal from the most unpopular war in American History, Blah, Blah, Blah.
Next week almost everyone went on leave and we found out what our country thought of us losers.
So many stories came back from those on leave about how we were portrayed and how families effected by their sons in a loser war.
Can a tv series show how much pain it was to be a 'Nam veteran in 1969? So many veterans pretended they had not served their country back then to get a job or in school.
I carried my DD-214 with me at all of those job interviews back then or they wanted to see a draft card. I remember their faces of the employers when they read that I had been in the Infantry, all of them saying "I don't have nothing for YOU!"
The pain is still there, realizing that my own country turned there back on me when I needed them the most.
Will they show that, I think not !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21462803_10212236682025615_6284757930596652432_n.jpg (35.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 20 September 2017, 09:37
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
my own country turned there back on me when I needed them the most.
My dad came home from his third deployment to Vietnam in 1968. He came home with his leg in a cast from a broken ankle suffered about two weeks before he was supposed to have come home anyway. He arrived in Hawaii and everything was normal. When he got to California there were protestors throwing blood and dog poop at vets around the airport, but he avoided being hit with anything. The Marines sent him back to North Carolina by commercial bus. At one stop one of the hippies stole one of his crutches. At another a hippie kicked him in his cast hard enough to crack it. The other Marine on the bus with him was attacked and mugged by a group of hippies in a bus station bathroom. Other than those incidents, almost everyone just ignored them all the way back to Camp Lejeune. When he came home from his previous deployments, hitchhiking was faster and cheaper than buses, and guys in uniform could always find people happy to give them rides or buy them a cup of coffee. Not in 1968.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 20 September 2017, 10:04
Been There Done That

Such much for love, peace, and tolerance from the left. Sad. Terrible Vietnam vets had to endure this. Never forget!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 September 2017, 10:36
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Such much for love, peace, and tolerance from the left. Sad. Terrible Vietnam vets had to endure this. Never forget!
Fortunately I never personally saw my Dad's return to California like agonyea described, but I heard the stories plenty. I did see much of the rest growing up during the early '70s and even into the '80s in my home town though. Had a huge effect on my Dad, and by association, on me.

Amazing how many of the worst offenders from back then have started sporting support the troops bumper stickers over the last couple of decades, and suddenly want to thank me for my service whenever I'm in town. Yeah, yeah. Tell it to my Dad motherfucker.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 20 September 2017 at 10:55.
Old 20 September 2017, 11:53
BTDT

Quote:
I am watching to see how the Liberal media is portrayed.We saw reporters on the ground with us after we came in from the field. We heard from the folks back home how our battlefield interviews were turned around to portray the soldiers as losers, and boozers, and pot smokers. Draft dodgers, and hippies in every unit.
Peace symbols and" Flower Power" on most every uniform.
My unit came home in 1969 to Hawaii, on a Friday afternoon.
We didn't know we were supposed to have bands and screaming people to meet us coming off the plane. We were just glad to be home, the ones who survived.
Our Friday evening formation at Schofield barracks was more of be careful out there than a safety briefing ?
Local news said we were the first large unit to come home signaling the United States withdrawal from the most unpopular war in American History, Blah, Blah, Blah.
Next week almost everyone went on leave and we found out what our country thought of us losers.
So many stories came back from those on leave about how we were portrayed and how families effected by their sons in a loser war.
Can a tv series show how much pain it was to be a 'Nam veteran in 1969? So many veterans pretended they had not served their country back then to get a job or in school.
I carried my DD-214 with me at all of those job interviews back then or they wanted to see a draft card. I remember their faces of the employers when they read that I had been in the Infantry, all of them saying "I don't have nothing for YOU!"
The pain is still there, realizing that my own country turned there back on me when I needed them the most.
I feel your pain, Brother...
Old 20 September 2017, 12:46
Been There Done That

You Vietnam veterans on this site: take heart in knowing that for many of us that later joined the service in the later 70s, 80s, and 90s - you were our heroes and role models. The footsteps we wished to follow, whose exploits and bravery we obsessed over while growing up. So for those who it mattered, who had the same inner warrior ethos waiting to get finally unleashed when we were old enough or young lower enlisted studs, you set the standard we tried to live up to.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 20 September 2017, 12:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
You Vietnam veterans on this site: take heart in knowing that for many of us that later joined the service in the later 70s, 80s, and 90s - you were our heroes and role models. The footsteps we wished to follow, whose exploits and bravery we obsessed over while growing up. So for those who it mattered, who had the same inner warrior ethos waiting to get finally unleashed when we were old enough or young lower enlisted studs, you set the standard we tried to live up to.
Very well said! I can't agree with it emphatically enough!
Old 20 September 2017, 13:03
Red Headed Stepchild

I intended to come back to add more to my previous post, to mention that my Dad also had good friends, a lot of support via family and a truly excellent VFW in our home town, but mostly I needed to write something like LP did above. Thanks for beating me to it LP, I couldn't have written it better.

Quote:
Old 20 September 2017, 13:25
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

No group of Veterans have ever been more maligned than those from Vietnam. Even WWII Veterans by and large turned their backs on them, basically with the attitude that they not only "lost" the war but that it wasn't a "real" war to begin with.

Shameful shit.

Neil Sheehan set the record straight pretty good last night, he understood the difference between the fighting man and the politicians who cynically use them to their own advantage, without ever really giving much thought to the ultimate purpose of sending them to fight in the first place.

Good interview with Joe Gallaway, too.
Old 20 September 2017, 13:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
No group of Veterans have ever been more maligned than those from Vietnam. Even WWII Veterans by and large turned their backs on them, basically with the attitude that they not only "lost" the war but that it wasn't a "real" war to begin with.

Shameful shit.

Neil Sheehan set the record straight pretty good last night, he understood the difference between the fighting man and the politicians who cynically use them to their own advantage, without ever really giving much thought to the ultimate purpose of sending them to fight in the first place.

Good interview with Joe Gallaway, too.
Joe is an old family friend.
Old 20 September 2017, 13:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Very few journalists cut from the same cloth as him, that's for sure.
Old 20 September 2017, 13:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Very few journalists cut from the same cloth as him, that's for sure.
Very good man...I persuaded Joe to join SOCNET several years ago, he posted some, but drifted away eventually.
Old 20 September 2017, 14:36
Confirmed User

Galloway was one of the few authors who would get it right, warts and all.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:13
Confirmed User

My brother did two tours quit school at 17 and went in in 69. I remember him being home on leave and sleeping on the porch. We went to the Shell station to get gas and the noon fire whistle test went off and when i looked
over to say something he was gone. Under the truck at the pump next to ours. . My cousin was drafted by the Yankees out of high school joined the Navy to avoid the draft. Was made a corpsman and assigned to Marine ground lost a leg and part of his pitching arm. Best laid plans....
It was all kind of abstract to a 10 year old everybody we knew had somebody there or knew somebody who had somebody there it was what you did then.The hippies, now the Alt left where the ones who kept their mouths shut or got the ass kicking they deserved. What happened?
Old 20 September 2017, 17:18

My stepdad was a Blind Bat throwing flares out the back of C130s. He spent most of his time flying missions over Laos from Utapao or Nakom Phanom. He now has agent orange sickness (aka: nearly every disease known to man) that he's been battling with for years. He's ornery enough that he keeps going, and I'm pretty sure the only thing that got him through several extra tough years was the fight with the VA. I asked if he had been watching and he said he records the episodes so he can watch in small doses if he needs to or gets pissed off at "bullshit they wanna put out there," but was pleasantly surprised with the first episode so far.
Old 20 September 2017, 17:49
Been There Done That

From the South Vietnam soldiers side:

Minh-Long Đ́nh Hoàng

9/19/2017 2:51 PM EDT
First, as a Vietnamese American, I'd like to thank all American soldiers who fought the Vietnam. Your sacrifice to defend the freedom for the people in South Vietnam will be always remembered and appreciated by the majority of Vietnamese (including those who lived in the North).

The 2 problems that I see Western media does not get it correct are and I hope this documentary does not repeat the same mistakes:

1. The Western media (and probably the majority American, including the veterans) always thinks that there are only 2 sides in the Vietnam war: American versus Vietnamese. This is totally wrong. As a Vietnamese American who grew up in Vietnam until 19 years old, I can tell you that (and recent surveys supported my claim) the majority of the Vietnamese during the war and nowsaday has favorable view of the US. During the Vietnam war, there was North Vietnam and South Vietnam. However, many of my relatives who lived in the North hated the Communists but they had no choice. They were praying and hoping that the South Vietnam Army with aids from the US would advance to the North to liberate them from Communism.

2. The soldiers from South Vietnam Army is usually left out in documentary, films, books. These soldiers and their families suffered the most from the war. Yes, 58000 American soldiers died. Many US Vietnam war veterans are still suffering psychologically and physically today. But they at least can live peacefully in their own homeland with benefits for VA from US government. The soldiers from North Vietnam also have a relatively peaceful lives on their own homeland, Vietnam, as they are the victors of the war. The soldiers from South Vietnam were put in concentration camps for years after the Fall of Saigon. They received no VA benefits from the current Communist government. Many of them came to the US via Humantarian Operation program. However, when they arrived in the US, the are older and have a hard time adapting to the new culture.

Minh-Long Đ́nh Hoàng
9/19/2017 8:41 PM EDT
I just watched the first episode and can tell you the following disagreements I have with this documentary:
1. Like other documentaries, books before, this episode misled the viewers that the whole population of Vietnam supported Ho Chi Minh. This is not true. It's also not true that 800,000 Vietnamese moved south in 1954 because of CIA's propaganda. The main reason why almost 1millions Northern Vietnamese moved south was because of the "Land Reform" where everyone who owned a piece of land would be executed by the Communist. Many landlord in my grandparents' village were killed for this very reason. One of the landlord was buried alive after the firing squad failed to kill him instantly.

2. Episode 1 also painted a wrong picture where the majority of the Southerners hated president Diem. Every Vietnamese knew that that those so called "armed rebellions" were carried out by the Viet Cong, not the vast Southern citizens. The VC were very good at their propaganda and the west, including this documentary, was tricked to believed that the vast majority of Vietnamese people supported the Communists and was against presidents Diem and later Thieu.

Even today, the Vietnamese communists still bragging that the majority of Vietnamese thinks Communism is the best option for Vietnam. If the communists are correct, why don't they dare to hold an open election where the Vietnamese people can pick its own leaders.

Got this from the PBS site and comments.

Last edited by agonyea; 20 September 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Forwarding from PBS site, and copying
Old 20 September 2017, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Fortunately I never personally saw my Dad's return to California like agonyea described, but I heard the stories plenty. I did see much of the rest growing up during the early '70s and even into the '80s in my home town though. Had a huge effect on my Dad, and by association, on me.

Amazing how many of the worst offenders from back then have started sporting support the troops bumper stickers over the last couple of decades, and suddenly want to thank me for my service whenever I'm in town. Yeah, yeah. Tell it to my Dad motherfucker.
This makes me think of Rudyard Kipling's poem "Tommy". I had never read it before, but a Vietnam Vet that I knew gave me a copy once. I think it served as a reminder to him that this sort of shit has been going on for a long time.

It is worth reading:

https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/tommy.html
Old 20 September 2017, 18:55
Confirmed User

Watching it now Great show. Opened my eyes to allot of history, history I didnt quite get right.
Old 20 September 2017, 19:37
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
.... Can a tv series show how much pain it was to be a 'Nam veteran in 1969? So many veterans pretended they had not served their country back then to get a job or in school.....
They opened with Karl Marlantes sharing a similar view, though not about 1969 (when he was going there) but about the years that followed and how he (and others) kept quiet about what they'd done.

Our new posting rules