SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 6 October 2017, 13:38

6 days

Watched it today.From external point of view a decent and not James Bond style type story telling about the events at Iranian embassy/Princess Gate in London in 1980. Focus mainly on a group of SAS soldiers tasked with the preparation of an assault with the target of freeing the hostages in the embassy. Solid performance with no superhero touch.
Old 13 January 2018, 07:54
Confirmed User

I just watched it and would agree. Good movie!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 13 January 2018, 13:20

I thought this was great. Itís entirely about the embassy siege, no extraneous subplots. And I always admire when a film based on a real incident, where you already know how it ends, manages to ratchet up the tension regardless.

I was eleven years old in 1980, and when the TV images of the SAS rappelling down the embassy walls aired, it was pretty wild. As a civilian back then, you really had never seen anything like this outside of a movie.
Old 15 January 2018, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok View Post
I thought this was great. Itís entirely about the embassy siege, no extraneous subplots. And I always admire when a film based on a real incident, where you already know how it ends, manages to ratchet up the tension regardless.

I was eleven years old in 1980, and when the TV images of the SAS rappelling down the embassy walls aired, it was pretty wild. As a civilian back then, you really had never seen anything like this outside of a movie.
My Reserve team went to England in '81 for Annual Training for two weeks in a swap with a SAS Territorial Army unit that came over to the US. We went to the SAS training base where they trained for the Embassy raid. There was a replica of the Embassy that was used for planning and training. Several of our Instructors trained the raiders while several others actually participated in the raid. One of them was the trooper that was on the ledge in the famous photo getting ready to enter the Embassy. Several others went on to participate in the Falklands Conflict. They were a right interesting bunch of guys to say the least.

Our new posting rules