Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 15 January 2007, 12:09
Animal Tamer

LE PERSEC?

I am interested to know what steps everyone takes in their personal lives as law enforcement officers to protect themselves and their families. There used to be an old email floating around supposedly sent out by some attorney with some good tips like photocopying everything in your wallet with all necessary contact numbers and such in case stolen.

Lately I have gotten a little lax on my own PERSEC and wanted to step it up a little. I am the world's worst about giving out my personal info over the internet when signing up for stuff. I searched SOCNET and did not find a thread that specifically addressed this issue. Maybe we can come up with our own "Top 10 PERSEC Steps" and keep it current on this board with some moderator help?

-Duck
Old 15 January 2007, 12:29
Confirmed User

I know that some states will allow you to have your home tax records listed under another name. You can also register your car at a different address other than where you live.

Regarding internet, good firewall (like Zone Alarm) anti spy ware and a privacy blocker that won't allow your IP address to go out with your email or to websites that you visit. If you have a high speed connection, turn it off when not in use. This would include cable and high speed phone. Although you are "not on the internet" your computer is still "open" to hackers.

By Fed law you can now reuest 2 free credit reports per year from various companies. Helps to keep up with ID theft.

Good idea ref the tips on a sticky.
Old 15 January 2007, 13:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal
I am interested to know what steps everyone takes in their personal lives as law enforcement officers to protect themselves and their families. There used to be an old email floating around supposedly sent out by some attorney with some good tips like photocopying everything in your wallet with all necessary contact numbers and such in case stolen.

Lately I have gotten a little lax on my own PERSEC and wanted to step it up a little. I am the world's worst about giving out my personal info over the internet when signing up for stuff. I searched SOCNET and did not find a thread that specifically addressed this issue. Maybe we can come up with our own "Top 10 PERSEC Steps" and keep it current on this board with some moderator help?

-Duck

Some states like Florida will let you block your name from public records searches if you are an LEO or have similar reasons.

I just make every effort to not give up anything on the net if I can find a way around it.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 15 January 2007, 13:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
I just make every effort to not give up anything on the net if I can find a way around it.
I dont see why you dont publish on the net, based on the past few days, seems every mofo on the planet knows you...LOL

JP
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 15 January 2007, 14:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrjoe175
I dont see why you dont publish on the net, based on the past few days, seems every mofo on the planet knows you...LOL

JP

LOL....there's a difference in being known in the SOF community and being known on the internet.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 15 January 2007, 15:30
Fan of the headkick

1. Find a unique way to answer the question "what do you do for a living" that sound realistic "garbage collector", "public relations", etc

2. Do not allow your creds to be seen without you showing them

3. If your state has LEO confidentiality for motor vehicles, use it.

4. Vary your routes to and from work

5. NEVER combine personal vehicles, home, and being in uniform. EVER.
Old 15 January 2007, 15:43
Confirmed User

You know....I used to get concerned about this.....unitl I did a people search on myself......its all there. All anyone needs is your name.
Old 15 January 2007, 16:21
Animal Tamer

What about on the actual physical side like what you do around the house, i.e. alarm systems, weapons, drills, talks with kids, spouse security, post office boxes, etc.? I'm looking for a top ten security issues we should all do at a minimum to make our families safer. It's almost impossible to hide anymore as far as internet intel goes.
Old 15 January 2007, 16:30
Fan of the headkick

1. My wife and oldest son know where the weapons in the house are and I take them to the range and work with them on IADs a couple of times a month.

2. We have a plan for a BG trying to enter/already in the house..from each available opening. Since our res is U-Shaped, we have to get to the older kids by confronting the threat (it is the layout of our house) no matter what. The older ones have a set of instructions if they hear an intruder in the common areas (they are basically e&e through their window if possible...). Our youngest is still in our room, so he is covered.

3. Alarm stays on, with beep alerts for any window/door.

4. Wife knows not to speak of my creds (before I retired or now) to anyone we do not know. She is very good with SA around the house and when in public.

5. Kids and wife know that if we are somewhere and I must take action, they are to DISTANCE themself from me while I distance myself from them. Get on the phone with 911, and give them a scripted description (bad guy(s) info, me, other good guys in the area).
Old 15 January 2007, 18:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor 5191
1. My wife and oldest son know where the weapons in the house are and I take them to the range and work with them on IADs a couple of times a month.

2. We have a plan for a BG trying to enter/already in the house..from each available opening. Since our res is U-Shaped, we have to get to the older kids by confronting the threat (it is the layout of our house) no matter what. The older ones have a set of instructions if they hear an intruder in the common areas (they are basically e&e through their window if possible...). Our youngest is still in our room, so he is covered.

3. Alarm stays on, with beep alerts for any window/door.

4. Wife knows not to speak of my creds (before I retired or now) to anyone we do not know. She is very good with SA around the house and when in public.

5. Kids and wife know that if we are somewhere and I must take action, they are to DISTANCE themself from me while I distance myself from them. Get on the phone with 911, and give them a scripted description (bad guy(s) info, me, other good guys in the area).
#5 A good one. I read several years ago about an officer that had the same plan. If I intervene, you and the kids to A), If I do not intervene we do plan
B). Something smart to think about.

You never no who you run into on the street. That was the only time in my career my wife was ever worried and it was at the mall when I saw some folks I had bought dope of off in a UC capacity and they were later arrested.

I also have taught wife to shoot, location of firearms and weapons safety to the the rest.
Old 15 January 2007, 18:36
Fan of the headkick

Right on. You just never know.
Old 16 January 2007, 06:23
Confirmed User

There are search engines on the net that more then likely has all your information on the net. I am hugely cautious, and its on there not much but its enough in my opinion. I live in a state that affords no protection to L.E...technically we aren't even allowed to put the department address on our I.D. ..vehicles aren't exempt either. Safest thing I have found is not give out any information and route everything through a P.O. Box...I think more advantageous is training and preparation of what to do..my wife knows and practices the plan and has no compunction about shooting someone that enters our home..started her on defensive handgun training when we were dating.
Old 16 January 2007, 14:05
Confirmed User

Don't use your office address (including post office boxes) for commercial stuff thinking you are protecting yourself. We ran our office address through a commercial data mining program a few years ago, and were shocked to see nearly every agent's name with identifiers come up. It was a good idea in the days before commercial data mining searches. It is not such a good idea, now.

The truth is, it is very hard to live in a way that someone cannot find out things about you from those kinds of services.
Old 16 January 2007, 15:20
What could possibly go wrong?

Bad guys have people in DMV, hence LAPD finding bangers cars with confidentiality enabled on the plates/owners. You can check for CS on your way home, but Im sure my kid doesnt. We also had take home units, so the bad guy has to just find the area, then look for the big black and white unit out front. Unfortunately in todays electronic times, I dont think you can effectively hide your home address or identity, to a motivated seeker. Not without serious effort, akin to a deep cover assignment. I believe that as stated above, you have to have a plan of action with your family, and that they are well versed on firearms use, as mine are. I also have an alarm system. As to carrying, for 26 years I made it a point to always be armed. Not some paranoia, "gotta have a gun" but understanding that "it" can happen anytime, anywhere... Even while jogging, thus my small freedom arms .22 that fits in my palm while running. And for FLYINGPIG...I take my full size and and extra mag for his area....LOL
Old 16 January 2007, 15:34
Fan of the headkick

I will say that it never fails to make me say "WTF?" to myself when trade mags come in either NO envelope or a clear plastic wrapper. I have even called and expressed concern over it...they say the "understand, but there is really nothing they can do".

Nice.
Old 16 January 2007, 16:43
Clorox bearer for SOTB

#1-- Motion sensor lights-- We all know how we feel going to a burglar alarm and those damn lights pop on and illuminate you! They do the same to burglars. Place them high up so they can't be tampered with. Make sure pets can't set them off.
#2-- Gated driveway and fenced property-- If you live in the sticks like I, a gate at the end of your drive, and a fence around the property will help.
#3--To go with #2- Dogs-- Not only mans best friend, but criminals worst enemy. Make sure you stick with territorial and protective breeds like German Shephards or Doberman. Poodles don't work well... Let them out in the fenced yard while you are home and away. It's one more thing they will have to get by prior to your house.
#4--Strong locks-- It's your security. Buy the best deadbolts available and use them. If one kick will gain access to your house, it's not secure.
#5--Alarm systems-- No, I'm not talking ATD or any crap like that. Once dude gets to your door, it may be too late. I'm talking motion detectors OUTSIDE your house to warn you of people coming down the drive or APPROACHING your doors.
#6--Cameras-- Even fake ones, placed in positions that people will redily see them will help discourage most.
#7--Blinds-- Use them at night to mask movement inside your house and keep people from seeing in period. Do this test. Go outside your house at night while your family is doing their normal routine. Check from different positions. You will be surprised at how much you can see inside a house from dark outside...
#8--Lights-- Keep the outside well lit at night. Criminals perfer darkness period. A well lit yard, combined with cameras and dogs will help keep people out, and will let you know if there is a problem if you come home and things are dark.
#9--Keep a weapon in your vehicle-- Coming home to a dark house is much easier if you are well armed. Coming home and finding a bunch of dudes trying to get your gun safe out the front door will require some sort of firepower. Personally, I keep a SKS with folding polimer stock in my truck with enough ammo to handle having to fight my way back into my house... Or fight my way out of an ambush. If you are in LE and think people don't ambush cops, you are kidding yourself. Think of all the very bad people we piss off every day...
#10--Teach your children well-- There are bad people in the world, and many that want to do us harm, or our families. Teach them not only to defend the house and themselves, but teach them to be aware of potential kidnappings, and other types of assaults. Get them cell phones for communication, and teach them how to E&E if needed. It is a dangerous profession in which we live and work.

All above are my personal .02. Feel free to add guys. I'm always in the market for new info. :D

Last edited by grog18b; 16 January 2007 at 19:50.
Old 16 January 2007, 16:51
Fan of the headkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b
#1-- Motion sensor lights-- We all know how we feel going to a burglar alarm and those damn lights pop on and illuminate you! They do the same to bruglars. Place them high up so they can't be tampered with. Make sure pets can't set them off.
#2-- Gated driveway and fenced property-- If you live in the sticks like I, a gate at the end of your drive, and a fence around the property will help.
#3--To go with #2- Dogs-- Not only mans best friend, but criminals worst enemy. Make sure you stick with territorial and protective breeds like German Shephards or Doberman. Poodles don't work well... Let them out in the fenced yard while you are home and away. It's one more thing they will have to get by prior to your house.
#4--Strong locks-- It's your security. Buy the best deadbolts available and use them. If one kick will gain access to your house, it's not secure.
#5--Alarm systems-- No, I'm not talking ATD or any crap like that. Once dude gets to your door, it may be too late. I'm talking motion detectors OUTSIDE your house to warn you of people coming down the drive or APPROACHING your doors.
#6--Cameras-- Even fake ones, placed in positions that people will redily see them will help discourage most.
#7--Blinds-- Use them at night to mask movement inside your house and keep people from seeing in period. Do this test. Go outside your house at night while your family is doing their normal routine. Check from different positions. You will be surprised at how much you can see inside a house from dark outside...
#8--Lights-- Keep the outside well lit at night. Criminals perfer darkness period. A well lit yard, combined with cameras and dogs will help keep people out, and will let you know if there is a problem if you come home and things are dark.
#9--Keep a weapon in your vehicle-- Coming home to a dark house is much easier if you are well armed. Coming home and finding a bunch of dudes trying to get your gun safe out the front door will require some sort of firepower. Personally, I keep a SKS with folding polimer stock in my truck with enough ammo to handle having to fight my way back into my house... Or fight my way out of an ambush. If you are in LE and think people don't ambush cops, you are kidding yourself. Think of all the very bad people we piss off every day...
#10--Teach your children well-- There are bad people in the world, and many that want to do us harm, or our families. Teach them not only to defend the house and themselves, but teach them to be aware of potential kidnappings, and other types of assaults. Get them cell phones for communication, and teach them how to E&E if needed. It is a dangerous profession in which we live and work.

All above are my personal .02. Feel free to add guys. I'm always in the market for new info. :D
Good stuff.

To expand on your #10 for children and wife: Don't just teach em to shoot...teach them to point-shoot, because that is what they will probably end up doing.

Don't spend all your time on slow and sighted fire.
Old 16 January 2007, 21:55
Animal Tamer

I like grog18b's #9. I think I can sell my wife that for her and the kid's protection I really need to buy a new Norinko AK-47 with a folding stock to keep in my truck when I'm off-duty.:D
Old 16 January 2007, 22:51
Thin The Herd

CASgt said it all:

Good luck all in keeping your life confidential. It aint going to happen. Several years ago, we conducted a search warrant at the local chapter of the Hells Angel in Oakland. They had the entire roster of our police department, names, addresses, telephone numbers, etc in their "house."

Several officers at our dept 'date" certified Northern Structure, et al gang members. If they don't their kids do.

Every cop, admin, etc eat at some dining establishment in the community. Who do you think the waitress or waiter are? Dating, and or married too, some gang member and/or criminal. Yes, it has happened in my department.

When I was a brand new narc, my first search warrant. Booted the door and the crook was sitting on the couch. In his pager, 10 mins before we hit the door? The number to our report writing room...yep, someone called him and let him know we were coming.

Good luck...it aint going to happen (yes, the bitter, cynical in me).

Dear God,
Please make everyone die. Amen
Old 16 January 2007, 23:07
Fan of the headkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306
CASgt said it all:

Good luck all in keeping your life confidential. It aint going to happen. Several years ago, we conducted a search warrant at the local chapter of the Hells Angel in Oakland. They had the entire roster of our police department, names, addresses, telephone numbers, etc in their "house."

Several officers at our dept 'date" certified Northern Structure, et al gang members. If they don't their kids do.

Every cop, admin, etc eat at some dining establishment in the community. Who do you think the waitress or waiter are? Dating, and or married too, some gang member and/or criminal. Yes, it has happened in my department.

When I was a brand new narc, my first search warrant. Booted the door and the crook was sitting on the couch. In his pager, 10 mins before we hit the door? The number to our report writing room...yep, someone called him and let him know we were coming.

Good luck...it aint going to happen (yes, the bitter, cynical in me).
All good points, but I still am a firm believer in doing everything you reasonably can, you know?

You owe it to yourself and your family to make due diligence to protect you and they.

Our new posting rules