Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 17 January 2007, 05:09

I'm with Phil on this one...... if they want to find out where you live, they will.

1. Internet. Enough said.

2. Internal leaks. We have over 600 civilian employees at the dept (clerks, you name it), and many of them look like they just won the "America's Next Top Thug" contest........ many of their positions have access to our emergency contact rosters, employment jackets, etc.. the info is out there.

I still do what I can, but I'm not going to freak out over it. I don't lie about what I do for a living, nor do I refuse to mix uniform with personal vehicle.... hell, our parking lots aren't covered or secured, so it isn't like people can't look right into the emplyee lots and see what cars are ours...
Old 17 January 2007, 21:06
Confirmed User

When I first started as a Deputy....I worked in Riverside County Jail.....There was an NLR drop out I had started talking to. Sort of an unofficial debriefing...(with the permission of Sgt and Lt)
At the time...I had a white Grand Am and a Blue Ford Explorer.......

One day I pulled him out to talk to him and he says,

"So....you like your truck?"
I say..."What truck?"
him...."That blue Explorer....Im guessing the white Pontiac is your wifes because you hardly ever drive it?"

When I worked in the jail...I never wore my ring. Anyway, when I asked him about it...he laughed and said "Your interested in my world and Im definitely interested in yours." And then asked me to bring him cigarettes next time I pulled him out. " Needless to say....we ended our interviews....and I let his parole agent, the Sgt and the Lt. know. That was my first dose of reality in Police work.
Old 17 January 2007, 21:54
What could possibly go wrong?

It wasnt too long ago that a probation search on some bangers turned up a couple LEO home addresses. Good thread and a good reminder on PERSEC.
Old 17 January 2007, 22:09
Thin The Herd

Quote:
You owe it to yourself and your family to make due diligence to protect you and they.
I'm not saying you shouldn't try and protect yourself and your family. What I am saying is: I've seen way too many ways crooks get over on police. Day in and day out.

Do what you can, however your own personal awareness, and a good gun, is about the only thing which will save you.

Dear God,
Please make everyone die. Amen
Old 17 January 2007, 22:29
Fan of the headkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306
I'm not saying you shouldn't try and protect yourself and your family. What I am saying is: I've seen way too many ways crooks get over on police. Day in and day out.

Do what you can, however your own personal awareness, and a good gun, is about the only thing which will save you.
I won't argue with you there...there is no substitute for SA and skill.
Old 19 January 2007, 17:50
Animal Tamer

Your personal information is out there, trust me. My agency subscribes to many of the "clearinghouses", of which I am sure a lot of you use also, that have every address for you, your wife, and both of your parent's for the last 15 years. I use them every day to find shitbags. They can use them to find us. You still have to do what you can to prevent as much as possible from getting out.

This leads directly into why I started this post to begin with. We need a comprehensive list of steps we all need to take to protect us in our homes, cars, malls, churches, etc., especially when with our families. I'm not sure exactly how to put it together but think we need it.
Old 21 January 2007, 15:48
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I dunno.

I would apply a generous dose of brass polish to my engraved nameplate regularly, after awhile the polish would harden and completely fill-in each letter to the point where the locals wouldn't be able to read my nameplate at all and would have to ask me what my name was (the badge number was plain as day)

I'd tell 'em it was on my name badge (pointing to my chest) and they'd say they couldn't read it, then I'd tell them to go fuck themselves then.

how's that for persec?
Old 21 January 2007, 16:51
Confirmed User

Well...of course you did! You worked in a city where nobody spoke English!!:D
Old 21 January 2007, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH
I dunno.

I would apply a generous dose of brass polish to my engraved nameplate regularly, after awhile the polish would harden and completely fill-in each letter to the point where the locals wouldn't be able to read my nameplate at all and would have to ask me what my name was (the badge number was plain as day)

I'd tell 'em it was on my name badge (pointing to my chest) and they'd say they couldn't read it, then I'd tell them to go fuck themselves then.

how's that for persec?
I used to love it when people would ask for my name, and I would tell them that it was on my badge........ it wasn't that uncommon for people to say, "Mo'fucker, I can't read.... write that shit down for me."

So my partner and I would write down the names of two Sgts that we hated, as well as their DSNs. We -may- have even gone so far as to say, "Yeah, you write a complaint, and tell them that Sgt. XXXXX told you to go fuck yourself."

We had to stop doing that.:D
Old 21 January 2007, 20:21
What could possibly go wrong?

I always said my name was deputy Dilligas...or I gave them the name of a long retired Sheriff.
Old 21 January 2007, 20:36
Authorized Personnel

They ask for my first name and I say "Deputy." They ask for my last and I say "Sheriff"

Pisses em off to no end. One thing I have going, is I do not live in the county in which I work. Separates it a little, or at least I think it does.
Old 22 January 2007, 00:23

Sanitize your POV of any police related bumper stickers or police parking permits. I recall a situation that occurred nearby in which some OMG members had conducted surveillance against officers in the local PD by following them to their homes and videotaping. That's a reality check I don't want to have. I know that you can register your POV in Texas with a P.O. Box address, which is what I have done. You can also get your utilities and phone service registred in an alias name. I go so far as to advise friends that if something goes down while we are in public to get on their cell phone (get behind or away from the immediat area)and to call it in while I take action.
Old 31 January 2007, 17:16
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Case in the news about a Sheriff in Florida (I believe) proves the point. The family needs to know this stuff too. If they want you or your family, they got you. Being prepared and aware might help you and them to live another day. We all know however, we are public figures, and as such live in glass houses in a number of respects. It's a dangerous job, and not only for us. For our families too. GROG

Here's the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/she....ap/index.html

Last edited by grog18b; 31 January 2007 at 17:35.
Old 31 January 2007, 17:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead
They ask for my first name and I say "Deputy." They ask for my last and I say "Sheriff"
I thought you had to provide them your ID if requested. Your name and number are on a ticket for example.
Old 31 January 2007, 17:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b
Case in the news about a Sheriff in Florida (I believe) proves the point. The family needs to know this stuff too. If they want you or your family, they got you. Being prepared and aware might help you and them to live another day. We all know however, we are public figures, and as such live in glass houses in a number of respects. It's a dangerous job, and not only for us. For our families too. GROG
I will be following this case with great interest.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31...f.shooting.ap/

RIP...
Old 31 January 2007, 17:50
Animal Tamer

This is exactly the situation I am worried about happening to my family. I want us to all work together to put together a template of "must do" things we should all try and complete to ensure we are a safe as possible in our personal environments. We have it beaten into our brains daily on how to react at work but not enough is done to protect us in our personal lives.
Old 31 January 2007, 18:00
Authorized Personnel

This is off the top of my head... I'm sure there is more that we can come up with.

All my vehicles are registered to the dept.
- that is the address on all my DMV files as well as my wife's (my wife's CCW even says she lives at the dept.)
- I have a PO box, all mail goes there.
- my voter record has me registered to the dept

There was a bill working its way around to do the same for property tax records.

All my bills, etc go to the PO box. (we've discussed getting a UPS store/mail boxes etc. type box so FEDEX, UPS can be accepted there). I NEVER put my physical address on anything I don't have to... I even had to train the wife - just because they are raffling something doesn't mean they get to know where we live and put it in a marketing data base somewhere to be bought and sold.

We do not have a home phone and never have had one at my current address.

The biggest danger/hole has been fucking mortgage brokers selling my info. The loan for the house had (obviously) the physical address of the house on it and I get a ton of junk mail for mortgage offers. They all come to the house... nothing legitimate comes to the house.

The worst problem I've had has been bumping into 'customers' when I'm out and about. We've had a couple issues with officers being followed home and with

If I ever had a real problem with anyone I thought about forming an LLC and putting all the utilities, etc in that name and hiding my identity. I'm not that paranoid/careful... but the problem is, once the info is out there, the outdated info is not purged from anywhere so short of moving it is hard to erase your paper trail.

All that being said, I have a fairly unique name and I can be found pretty easily so the wife and I have plans in place for any sort of 'event' (that could be a separate thread).

Standard hardening of all the doors, windows, etc. motion lights, fenced property, alarm system, 2 dogs, defensive tools are readily accessible to adults in the house, etc.

Last edited by GackMan; 31 January 2007 at 18:17.
Old 31 January 2007, 18:27
Probationary User

Take a look at Zabasearch.com, itís scary, and from what I've found no way to be omitted, every address I've ever had is in there, all were collected before I was an LEO, including my current address.

I still want to be prepared, I don't advertise I'm an LEO, no stickers, or T-Shirts, etc, alarm on the house good locks, contingency plans, you know the usual. In the end though if someone is motivated to do you harm, they will find a way to get to you and/or your family, the only thing you can do is make sure you put 2 to the chest and 1 to the head if it happens, and train your spouse to do the same.

Just my .02
Old 31 January 2007, 18:34
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I opened this thread thinking it was going to be how to protect your identity if you were French....
Old 31 January 2007, 19:51
Clorox bearer for SOTB

It's much easier if you're French. Instruct your family in the art of carrying and displaying the "white flag", and surrendering at the first sign of aggression... :D Also, you could build a large concrete fortification along one side of your property, staffed with hundreds of troops, ammo and food to last for months, while leaving all other portions of your property line open...

Our new posting rules