Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 31 January 2007, 21:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch8654
I thought you had to provide them your ID if requested. Your name and number are on a ticket for example.

Yeah, thats true, but the tweaking shitbag that just bitch slapped his whore doesn't know that. Maybe when he comes down, he'll think to look at the report.

Plus, I can't even read my own signature on a ticket, I can't imagine what the guy that just got it makes of it. My badge number is on each one though. SO he's got that right away.

thing is, if they want to find us, they will.

"OK, so we can agree you've been drinking. Now I know you've had at least 2, the first one and the last one, but now we need to figure out how many there were in between."-Me, I-35
Old 31 January 2007, 22:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead
Yeah, thats true, but the tweaking shitbag that just bitch slapped his whore doesn't know that. Maybe when he comes down, he'll think to look at the report.

Plus, I can't even read my own signature on a ticket, I can't imagine what the guy that just got it makes of it. My badge number is on each one though. SO he's got that right away.

thing is, if they want to find us, they will.
Thats cool and I totally understand where you guys are coming from. My only experience is with speeding tickets and I will be the first to admit I am not the drive 55mph generation :D
Old 1 February 2007, 02:32
Confirmed User

I just a Zaba search. WoW!
They have my name linked to my brother's address and my mom's former address. I would have never suspected that.

Luckily, there is nothing recent as far as address' in the last 3 or 4 years.

Pay sites like publicdata.com, are even more indepth and accurate. That place can be scary.

I live and work in a mid size town, it's difficult keeping your life private when even domestic violence victims have come to your house for help. The dog we got, lights need work, kids can shoot, mom can shoot, but still I worry about us living in town on the edge of a rough part of town. The privacy and anonymity we had in a big town, we don't have here. It's uncomfortable how quickly word gets around.

I can't wait for the day we can move to the country and have acreage and more privacay! (more range to shoot them before the get to the front door!!! :D)
Old 1 February 2007, 12:15
Authorized Personnel

That zaba search sucks. I suggest everyone take a look. Something I found while looking on the site.
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20050512.html
Old 2 February 2007, 23:42
Sheepdog

I'm a privacy nazi, you can't protect your personal info from someone who is determined but you can make it much more difficult or costly. I actually wrote three bills this past session and got one passed -Act 416. Act 416 allows LEO the option of using their work address or a PO box on their driver's license and vehicle registrations. The two that didn't pass dealt with making LEO's personal information confidential and would have made it mandatory for databrokers to offer LEO the right to opt out of their databases. They beat me this go round but I'll eventually win!

Here is something I put together concerning privacy and identity theft prevention. I plagiarized much of it from various sources.

1. If you have a credit or debit card some crook somewhere already has your information. Most likely they got your information from hackers breaching the bank’s databases or other means such as your bank/credit bureau/data broker/employer losing the backup tapes or laptops containing your info. The crooks may or may not get around to victimizing you.
2. If a crook uses your information you’re responsible for the first $50 if you report it within two days. You’re responsible for the first $500 if you report it between two days and 60 days. After 60 days you’re responsible for everything! It is virtually impossible to report it within two days because you only get your statement once monthly, so most likely you’ll loss $500.
3. Business accounts have unlimited exposure.
4. Read your credit/debit card statement immediately and report any errors immediately.
5. Make copies (front and back) of everything in your wallet and keep it in a safe place in case your lose your wallet. That way you’ll have the 1-800 numbers to call and cancel your cards if they are lost/stolen. Do not carry any unnecessary identification, credit cards or social security card in your wallet.
6. Don’t place your outgoing mail in your mailbox on the curb. You’re only advertising to crooks to steal your outgoing bills, “wash” your checks and then clean out your account. Only place your mail in the blue postal mailboxes or take it to the post office.
7. Buy a shredder and shred any discarded documents containing personal identifiers.
8. Order copies of your free credit report and review it at least yearly (www.annualcreditreport.com). I suggest checking one credit bureau every four months so you don’t go a full year between checking it.
9. Review your Social Security Earning and Benefits statements yearly (800-772-1203). You should receive one annually, if not call them.
10. Before purchasing online make sure you trust the business and it is using a secure server to encrypt your transaction. Secure webpages will begin with https rather than http (the extra “s” means secure). Also, https webpages will usually have a small locked lock on the browser window.
11. Get a Post Office box and use it. The next time you reorder checks only put a minimum amount of information on them- your first and middle initials and your last name, your PO Box, and your cell phone number or work number. They’ll have a harder time forging your signature if they don’t have your full name.
12. Forward all of your mail from your home to your Post Office box by submitting a change of address form to the Post Office. Make sure you do a change your addresses on all of your bills, magazine subscriptions, etc. Tip- put your magazine subscriptions in your dogs name to cut down pre-approved credit cards in your name.
13. Do not sign the back of your credit cards, instead write “CHECK ID” or “PHOTO ID REQUIRED.” Will the clerk always check your identification? No, but the crook will probably throw away your credit card and use another stolen one.
14. Prevent your bank or mortgage company from sharing your information with non-affiliated third parties by either using the form sent by your financial institution or (even better) use this one http://www.privacyrightsnow.com/ .
15. Avail yourself of the protection of Act 416 (Louisiana police/court officers and their family only) and use your work address or a Post Office box on your driver’s license and personally owned vehicles.
16. Place a credit freeze on your credit with the three credit bureaus. Go to the Louisiana Attorney’s General’s website for more details on the credit freeze (http://www.ag.state.la.us/calerts/alert0004.aspx ).
17. Never give out your home address or phone number to anyone other than close friends and family. If you must give them something, give out your Post Office box or your cell phone. If a business like Radio Shack, Toys R Us, Bass Pro, etc. ask for it reply with “555-1212” or “I don’t have a phone.” Also, never send in product registration cards. If you ever give out this information then it gets sold and resold to other business.
18. Place all of your phones on the national Do Not Call Registry at http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall/ . Also, make sure your phone number is unlisted. If you’re too cheap to pay $4.00 a month then call Bellsouth and change your caller ID to your cousin’s dog’s name. Your bill will still come in your name but your caller ID will show “Spot Smith” and will be listed in the phone book as such.
19. Reduce your junk mail by opting out via the Direct Marketing Association via their website http://www.dmaconsumers.org/privacy.html .
20. Opt out of pre-approved credit or insurance offers at https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t . Get more information on this at the Federal Trade Commission’s website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...optoutalrt.htm . Also, check out the FTC’s “What You Do Know Can Help You” website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...ivprotalrt.htm .
21. If you think you are the victim of identity theft then check out the FTC’s website http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/ .
22. Your employer and financial institutions will need your Social Security number for wage and tax reporting purposes. Other businesses may ask you for your Social Security number to do a credit check if you are applying for a loan, renting an apartment, or signing up for utilities. Sometimes, however, they simply want your Social Security number for general record keeping. If someone asks for your Social Security number, ask these questions: (1) Why do you need my Social Security number? (2) How will my Social Security number be used? (3) How do you protect my Social Security number from being stolen? (4) What will happen if I don't give you my Social Security number? If you don't provide your Social Security number, some businesses may not provide you with the service or benefit you want. Getting satisfactory answers to these questions will help you decide whether you want to share your Social Security number with the business (this paragraph is taken directly from the FTC’s website).
Old 4 February 2007, 01:57
Confirmed User

Good advice you have here. I hope you don't mind if I pass this all on, I have another forum community that might be interested.
Old 4 February 2007, 02:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspg2219
I'm ...[brevity edit]...website).
Awesome post, you just saved me a bunch of homework!
Old 4 February 2007, 12:28
Animal Tamer

Most of you don't know it, but lspg2219 was just named the statewide "Trooper of the Year" by the Louisiana State Troopers Association in December. I'm sure that decision was based more on his family's good genetics and less on his work to protect our privacy. He does have some memorable experiences hanging out with our illustrious governor. Don't think about trying to "stop by" his place for a visit as you would no doubt trigger 27 different types of early warning devices and possibly fall prey to one of his well hidden booby traps.
Old 4 February 2007, 18:00
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr
That zaba search sucks. I suggest everyone take a look. Something I found while looking on the site.
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20050512.html
Yea that article says you can email to correct incorrect data, I'd love to email Zabaseach and "change" my info to "correct" it to another address where I don't live, but as of yet I haven't found an email address to do so.

If anyone comes up with one I'd love to have it.
Old 4 February 2007, 18:57
Sheepdog

Info about Zaba from Zaba:

http://www.zabasearch.com/about_us.php

They used to have a Zaba Tools section that explained how to remove or update your information. I followed the specific instructions twice and they never removed my info so take it with a grain of salt.

I kept the email they sent me:

We received your request. The following is the fastest way to create, edit or delete your records in ZabaSearch. ZabaTools allow you to take control of the information available about you or to manage how you allow others to communicate with you. You can create, edit, delete your record or add a ZabaLink all for free.

Why create a record? If you don't exist in ZabaSearch and would like to be included.

Why edit a record? If you are in ZabaSearch, but would like to update your information. Or, add your e-mail address or your web site URL to your record.

Why delete a record?** If you want to remove your address and/or telephone number

Add a free ZabaLink! Instead of deleting a record, consider replacing your address and/or telephone number with a ZabaLink*.

**If someone finds and clicks your ZabaLink (placed where your address or telephone number was), they will come to an e-mail form that will allow them to send a message to you without knowing your e-mail address, where you are, or if you ever even received the message. You can either respond, ignore, or send back a non-delivery notice. ZabaLinks empower you to control how people can communicate with you on the Internet. You can be found, only if you want to be on a person by person basis. And, ZabaLinks are free!

In order to create, edit, delete your record and/or to add a ZabaLink, all for free, you must make that request in writing and mail it to: ZabaTools, 2828 Cochran St., #397, Simi Valley, CA 93065. Receiving requests by mail allows us to verify and process requests quickly. Records created, edited and ZabaLinks added may take up to several weeks to appear in ZabaSearch. Records requested to be deleted are typically processed the next business day after receiving the request. You will be notified by e-mail when you request enters our system and then once more when the requested records have been adjusted. Please specify if you want to create, edit, delete a record and/or add a free ZabaLink, e-mail address or url to your record. If you add a free ZabaLink, please include the e-mail address where you would like messages blindly forwarded to from your ZabaLink.

In order to fill your request your letter must contain the following information to insure we create, edit or delete the correct records. After you confirm by e-mail that we processed your request, your letter and the information you provided in it will be shredded. You will have created a record for yourself just as you like it and will be eventually given online tools to adjust your information as you like live in ZabaSearch 24/7.

1. E-mail address
2. Full name including middle initial
3. Address of the record you wish to create, edit or delete
4. Phone number you wish to have removed
5. Year of birth.
6. Specify if you are requesting to create, edit or delete a record or if you want to add a ZabaLink or URL to your
record.
7. Sign and date your request
Old 6 February 2007, 19:31
Probationary User

Hey thanks lspg2219 that's awesome, it may not work but I'll send it anyway, probably even send it registered mail, that way I can prove they got it. I wonder if there's any laws that require them to take your info off if requested. I know for telemarketing there are or were some stiff penalties if you requested your name to be removed from their records and the company failed to comply.
Old 6 February 2007, 23:10
Sheepdog

Good luck on getting it removed. Databrokers exploit the public records laws, which makes just about any document in the hands of the government public record (your mortgage, voters registration, DD214 if you filed it, driver’s license information, etc.). I know of no law where they are required to remove your information, basically all you can do is ask nicely.

I wrote a state law last session that would have required all databrokers to offer LEO and court officers the option of opting out of their databases. It made it through the House unanimously before they found out about it. It stalled in the Senate after a couple of lawyers/lobbyist from the credit agencies and databrokers flew in from D.C. and spread misinformation. I learned a lot and I will eventually beat them.

The Do Not Call list was only instituted after consumers finally got P.O. and made Congress do something about it. I think it will soon come to that with databrokers too.

Go to http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/infobrokers.htm to see a list of databrokers who will and will not allow you to opt out.
Old 8 February 2007, 12:16
Confirmed User

Good, you removed yourself from Zaba. Now, all you have to do is go and make this request to the other 20 or 30 internet companies that sell the exact same information as Zaba, and continue to keep making the requests to new companies like Zaba as they are formed.
Old 8 February 2007, 18:43
Confirmed User

Friggin' name is all over Al Jazeera anyway so wtf ...

Wish I had a dollar for every time someone threatened to kill me.

Brian K. Sain
www.AmericanSnipers.org
Old 9 February 2007, 00:52
Sheepdog

Graphic illustration of the importance of our topic.

Reflecting on Family Safety Following Florida Tragedy

By Dave and Sgt. Betsy Smith
Street Survival Seminar Instructors

On Tuesday, January 30th, 2007 a convicted felon and murder suspect, Lionel Sands, and his companion Daniel Brown apparently stalked and gunned down Mellie McDaniel, the wife of Jackson County Sheriff John McDaniel as she headed home from the grocery store. Mrs. McDaniel was able to contact her husband via radio phone to advise him she was being followed; as he called for assistance and told her not to go home he heard her scream. The first responding deputy Harold Michael Altman, was also murdered. The sheriff and other units responded, killing both suspects.

Deputies found ammunition, latex gloves, bleach, vinegar, handcuffs, duct tape, and trash bags inside the killer's vehicle. In addition, both killers wore disguises which included a wig and a glued-on mustache, but their ultimate plan died with them.

Shortly after this incident, we received a call from a good friend and fellow police trainer, Greg May, coordinator of Public Safety Education at Gulf Coast Community College in Florida. Greg is also a police officer with Panama City Beach Police Department, and more importantly, a husband and father.
The home of Jackson Co. (FL) Sheriff John McDaniel where his wife Mellie, a deputy and two suspects were murdered.(AP Photo/Steve Cannon)

He'd already been receiving requests for information and training for police families, and knew that Calibre Press would be a good resource. The Jackson County case hit Officer May especially hard as Deputy Altman was one of his recruits. We decided that this tragic case brings up issues we need to talk to our own families about, no matter how difficult or uncomfortable it may be. Thanks to Officer May for his inspiration and assistance.

When we talk about and train for "off duty survival," we have to include our family members in many aspects. Let your family know that you have an obligation to keep yourself, your family, and the community safe on or off-duty. More importantly, teach them that as members of a police family, they also share this obligation.

Talk to them about good v. evil, about being part of a "warrior family,' and how they can help you AND each other. Keep it simple, keep it age appropriate, and talk about this more than once! These discussions should be a regular part of your life as a crimefighter's family.

The Internet has made our personal information more accessible than ever, including our home addresses, relatives, even the vehicles we drive. Tell your family about the dangers of Internet chat rooms and to NOT give out any information that may give their true personal information or indicate they have law enforcement in the family.

Teach them not to give out personal information when shopping, in casual conversation, and when meeting new people. Make sure they are very cautious about revealing your identity as a police officer.

Teach your spouse or partner to use your off duty weapon, and as your kids grow and mature teach them also. It's a good idea to begin teaching your kids (and spouse or partner) that sometimes bad people choose to do evil and good people sometimes have to stop them, which may include you or members of your family...THEM!

In other words, teach them to be warriors! Don't hide or downplay what you do, and what you (or they) may face someday. If you empower your family both mentally and physically, they will be less vulnerable to victimization. Our spouses and kids are usually much stronger than we give them credit for (after all, they live with us, don't they!?)

Here are a few additional "quick tips" to tell them during your family discussions:

• Be aware of other people attending to you or your children, vehicle, your movements

• Make sure "911" and your jurisdiction's dispatch center is programmed into your cell phones

• If you're being followed, go to a crowded, busy place (such as a busy gas station or store, the mall, local police or sheriff's department, courthouse), identify specific locations in your own area that may be "safe zones." DON'T GO HOME...this is especially difficult for youngsters to understand, because home is a "safe place" for them, so help them to understand why they shouldn't just go home.

• NEVER allow yourself to be taken into a vehicle or building. Learn tactics such as drop and roll under vehicles, yelling, screaming, hitting, biting, running in the opposite direction, whatever it takes to get away.

• If you suspect you are being followed or targeted, trust your instincts and take appropriate action. Believe in your gut instincts!

• Make sure you know how to find your location, including using mile posts along the highway, to tell help exactly where you are.

If you don't live in your own jurisdiction, make sure you and your family know the local cops; take them to the local police station to visit (bringing some cookies or a dozen doughnuts couldn't hurt!), have them meet the dispatchers, desk officers, and the officers who patrol your neighborhood. Take advantage of the child safety and personal safety courses taught by your own agency or another one; we often neglect to get our family members involved in our own crime prevention programming.

As we talk about in the Street Survival Seminar, you must teach your family some of your own police tactics, including "cover and concealment," "crisis rehearsal" and "tactical breathing."

More importantly, teach them the "warrior mindset" that is so vital to survival. Teach them to protect themselves, to "keep fighting no matter what!"

Our hearts go out to the families of Mellie McDaniel, mother, grandmother, and loyal cop's wife for so many years, and Deputy Harold ("Mike") Altman, one- year veteran of the Jackson County S/O, son, husband, step dad, and now fallen hero. Honor the sacrifice of these two people by sharing their story with your own warrior family.

There are still some of you that, even after reading this, will still believe that you should maintain a "wall" between your family and your job. As this example proves, now more than ever, we can't afford that luxury. Bring your family into your world, our world, and teach them to be part of our own warrior family of crimefighters!

Here are some great resources that Calibre Press recommends to help in teaching your family to stay safe:

The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
By Gavin De Becker

Raising Kids Who Can Protect Themselves
By Mike and Debbie Gardner

Street Survival Seminar (spouses are encourage to attended)

About the authors

Former police lieutenant Dave Smith developed the popular "Buck Savage" survival series videos and was the lead instructor for the original Calibre Press "Street Survival" seminar from 1983 to 1985, helping to develop the popular "Tactical Edge" book. He served as the Director of Education for the Enforcement Television Network, general manager of Calibre Press, and is now the lead instructor of the "Street Survival" seminar and a regular Newsline contributor. He can be reached at thebucksavage@aol.com

Sergeant Betsy Smith is a 27-year veteran of law enforcement, currently serving as a patrol supervisor in a Chicago, IL suburb. Betsy hosted various programs for the Law Enforcement Television Network and served as a content expert until joining Calibre Press in 2002. A graduate of the Northwestern University Center for Public Safety's School of Staff and Command, Betsy is a police trainer, author, and instructor for the Calibre Press "Street Survival" seminar. She can be reached at betsybrantner@aol.com
Old 11 February 2007, 14:21

Regarding Zabasearch something went out over the ne awhile back regarding the procedures to remove your information.

Will try to find it, but the jist was don't do it. Whoever, said it worked for was a complete rarity and only heard of one alleged person in California.
The info said basically don't do it because they're just verifying whatever information you are giving them and will not remove you.
Old 9 March 2007, 05:49
Metric: The Only Way To Go.

Apologies for the lateness of this. Thanks for this thread, while a fair bit doesn't apply down here, a lot does and gives good food for thought.

I'm planning on routing my car rego through either my permanent work (when I've finished my training and find out where I'm going) or to a PO Box (probably more likely for the short term at least).

At the airports our IDs have a number only, no name. If someone wants our name we don't give it to them.
"He also had back up time to time from friends TC and Rick. Magnum would solve the case, then Rick and TC would help him kick the crap out of the criminals. Sometimes Selleck would get a little whiney, and those shorts were a little too short. Other than that, it was a great show."

-IMDB Comment on Magnum, PI.
Old 9 March 2007, 08:49
Clorox bearer for SOTB

I stare at your avatar and find myself strangely hypnotized.....

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 9 March 2007, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b
I stare at your avatar and find myself strangely hypnotized.....
They soothe my soul.
Old 9 March 2007, 16:20
Confirmed User

they soothe more then that...

Our new posting rules